Thinking about getting a Bosal hitch but...

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I really like the stealth factor, quality and towing capacity of the Bosal hitch system and am seriously considering buying one for my 2012 JSW. But in addition to towing a small trailer sometime I’d also like to be able to hook up a dual motorcycle carrying hitch like this one
https://www.titanramps.com/aluminum...2XbdS9p4Djs9NZ8bPOkkKf22XcHbeCwgaAjCoEALw_wcB
The problem is this carrier and every other one I’ve seen hooks up to a traditional receiver that comes horizontally out the rear of the vehicle. Ive heard tails about a Bosal receiver adapter but i cant seem to find it anywhere also read that it is discontinued can anyone confirm this? Or does anyone know of a motorcycle carrier that hooks up to a European style hidden hitch that exits out the bottom of the vehicle? I’m sure people in Germany need to carry motorcycles too. Thanks in advance.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I just ordered an "eco hitch" out of Washington state. It bolts under the 8 bolts holding the bumper mounts. Its receiver is the only thing visible, has 2" receiver, class 3, 300lbs tongue 2k tow, has about 2" more clearance I've read. It does cost $290 shipped but worth that to me.

BTW I had a European hitch on my Passat and the wife was too embarrassed to drive it with it on. Other draw back... no way to use bike racks etc.

Last edited:

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
I just finished installing the Ecohitch last weekend, I went with that for the same reasons, mostly hidden, bolted through rear body like the stock bumper and higher tow rating than the 1.25" options, as well as ground clearance.

Only advice I'll offer is to make sure that you start all bolts before tightening anything down to make sure it all lines up, the two bolts that go in from the sides are tricky.

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I got my 2011 JSW with a standard hitch on it. It was always scraping on driveways so I had it removed. When I was taking it out, I was surprised at how poorly this standard hitch gets supported. It just has 2 bolts on the passenger frame rail side and then it uses a drain hole in the spare wheel well (shocker!) and then 2 of the exhaust hanger bolts on the driver side. Seems to be very weak on the driver side. I can imagine that these hidden hitches that use the rear crash bar bolt locations are way more secure besides being concealed.