Sold - 1997 B4 Passat TDI, 373k miles - Sold

hummiepie

TDI
97 B4 w/ 315K miles
**SOLD**

1997 VW Passat TDI. 42mpg city, 46+mpg hwy (~20-25 mi). No rust. Been in California for about the last 10 years.

Click to embiggen:

I’ve owned the car for the last 8 years and have put 80K miles on it. Bought from the third owner 6/2011 with 293k miles on it. Very reliable. In great condition. 5 speed, ac, pw, cruise, dual air bags, Latvian E-Code headlights. I’m selling it because I’m switching to an automatic transmission TDI.

Car has been well maintained. Regular oil changes with synthetic Mobil1 TDT 5W-40. Interior and seats are in very good condition, no rips or loose seams. Paint very good. A little clear coat is coming off the mirrors. Tires have ~50k miles left, newer battery, AC system, suspension, new DMF clutch and linkage, trunk release rod. I have complete maintenance history. It’s a great car in very good condition. Turbo axial and radial play was checked when head gasket was done and both are negligible. EGR weep hole is plugged with a ball-valve Zerk fitting to allow air in, but not out. Doesn’t need anything except for an alignment. Oil consumption is under 1 qt every 2K miles, as advised, but I don’t have a specific amount for you since the valve cover gasket wasn’t sealed properly until recently and the was the primary oil leak; EGR weep hole was the only other one. Intake manifold has been gutted of all gunk too.

Two character issues- the plastic trim piece on the sunroof needs to be fixed and reinstalled. Due to the billet coolant flange the engine cover doesn’t mount and one stud was broken off on the intake manifold since I bought it. It hasn’t been on in a while and I am looking for it. Honestly, I’m not sure if the price is fair. I haven’t followed their values. $2800 could be too high or too low.

Following the advice of Matt Phelan and Digital Corpus, I have held my foot down going up steep freeway on ramps to @ 4000-4500 rpm’s once a month or more. Whenever a BMW would tailgate me up the onramp and *** me off, I’d floor it.

TDI Club member Digital Corpus has maintained the car since I’ve had it. Oil changes, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, bushings, brake pads, rotors, fluid changes, clutch, door handles, window motor, cv joints, MAF, head gasket, everything.

Significant Maintenance:
  • 307K Bosio DLC 520 injectors
  • 335K New MAF
  • 339K Billet coolant flange by thechoochlyman and new 3-way coolant hose
  • 327K Air conditioning system with compressor, clutch and evaporator
  • 352K Tires - Michelin Defender (90K mile) (3/17)
  • 362K Battery and Head Gasket (4/18).
  • 366K New DMF clutch, throw-out bearing, release arm, release arm pivot, rear main seal, transmission mount, pinion brace and shift linkage
  • 372K Alternator (used from another B4) because the previous one’s front bearing went bad. Tensioner, bushings, and grease were replaced as well.
  • 373K Trunk release rod

Next major services due:
  • 380K Oil change
  • 420K Timing belt, serpentine belt, v-belt, tensioner, roller and water pump

Questions? Contact Michael, aka Digital Corpus or myself, Sharon at s_obrien1@verizon.net

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow thats fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I was reserving the post for putting up the photos. It was easier for me to host them and resize them on my server than having my mom (owner) go through the process of using the site's photo server.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Congrats! Is she sold to a fellow tdi member on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk