Coolant temp nowadays...

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Nowadays, I'm seeing coolant temps on my Scangauge anywhere between 83C to 86C when driving on the highway at 100-105 kmph. The thermostat was last replaced in Spring 2013 with a dealer part rated at 87C. After the replacement, I had seen temps in the 90-91C range when driving on the highway.

Just wondering what temps other members are seeing nowadays?

I have a TB change coming up soon, so just reviewing if I should change the thermostat at the same time? I did some searching on the forums and a lot of members in the US have installed 92C aftermarket thermostats (NAPA, Mahle, Vernet etc) on ALH's and have reported improved fuel economy after installing those. Is it OK to install the 92C aftermarket t-stat or stay with the dealer OEM 87C which is the factory version in an ALH? Has anyone here installed a 92C version and seen any mpg gains?

Thanks.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I did the dealer one last fall, it sits right at 90 - 91. I tried a Napa one years ago, but it was bad right out of the box.
I'd stick with the original be part here.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
There are lots of aftermarket tstats out there these days. Stick to a known brand (i.e. Mahle, Hella, Wahler, etc) and you should be fine.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My scanguage had been reading 82c for years so I installed a new thermostat when I did the timing belt, now it reads 91c.

I was expecting an improvement in fuel economy but it hasn't changed at all.

Simon