Oil change on 1.4T or 1.8T

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm looking at other vehicles.

An alternative is the Jetta 1.4T or 1.8T models. I'm looking into nitty gritty of oil changes.

Do these models have the oil filter on top like the TDI does?

I kind of got spoiled the last 32 years of doing oil changes on our 240D and the Jetta TDI. Both could be done "up top" with an oil extractor. The 240D was the easiest simply because the filter cap is right there and easy to get to. Not too bad on the TDI, slightly more difficult.

Haven't been able to find a good video, etc. online for this, as I did for the TDI.

Was looking at the Mazda3, but its oil filter has to be removed from underneath through an access panel.

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
I beleive this is the EA211 1.4T:

And this is the EA888 Gen 3 1.8T:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The 1.4T has the spin on filter on front bottom side of engine.I looked at mine and there's plastic splash shield on bottom,so I don't know if you change it from the top-looks like you might have enough room to wiggle the filter out,but you can't pre-fill the filter much with it mounted horizontal.I'll find out after 30k miles,as they are 10k intervals,and the first 3 are "free" from the dealer-kinda hesitant about taking it in even for an oil change(and yes,it needs synthetic oil like the TDI's)......

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Just changed the oil on my new Golf 1.8 TSI
You can use an extractor or do it from the bottom
The PLASTIC oil pan is exposed , turn the drain plug 90 deg
Filter is on top , easy
I ditched the plastic oil pan on mine and installed a steel reinforced one

Oil change is 10K and it is reasonable cost , OEM filter $8 and M-1 0W40 $30 ( need 6 qtr )
Drain plug is advertised as one use only , another $4