Passenger side strut install - Zip tie method

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
This helped make my passenger side strut install a breeze. No axle undoing and the sub frame remains in place :)

I installed a very compressed spring on the strut and put on the spring top plate. Then I looped a zip tie around the top of the strut shaft and then a bunch more zip tie loops slacked and ready to tighten with the bottom run through on the spring perch.

While it was out of the car I compressed the strut down as much as the spring would allow me to (about 2-3") and then started to tighten all of the zip ties down. As I released the strut the zip ties took the load.

This gave me just enough room to slip the strut into place. I then was able to get the strut bearing and rubber bumper into place.

I then cut the top zip tie and let the strut expand. I thought there would be a risk of the strut expanding and pinching the zip tie but there was plenty of room to remove it.

I can't see any possibility for damage using this method. The top spring plate does take a bit of side load but I figure if it can take a spring it can take a zip tie :p

What you can't see in the picture are the two jamb nuts on the bottom of the spring compressors allowing me to turn them from the bottom.

As far as removing the old strut I was able to take my 6mm or 7mm allen socket on an extension with a small piece of wood on it and push the old strut down from the engine bay. I was able to pull the allen out and yank the old rubber piece out before the strut came back up. Or .... you could just drill a hole in the strut body allowing to collapse but a bunch of oil would come out.

This is the second time doing this in the past two years and it sure is nice having the Metal Nerd strut wrench and spreader bit.

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Try it now...I would have taken more but I honestly didn't think it would work so I only snapped one after it was installed.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Innovative!

Wonder whether one could use a (couple?) ratchet straps?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
as long as your zip ties hold....those springs can be lethal
The spring is compressed safely with the spring compressors.

I don't think there is a zip tie out there that could hold a compressed spring.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
The spring is compressed safely with the spring compressors.

I don't think there is a zip tie out there that could hold a compressed spring.
Ok....I was wondering how that could work.....so you just use the zip ties to hold the strut shaft compressed enough get the strut in place.