I'm totally confused...

LukesTDI

TDI
2001 Golf
Tonight I left my place and when I took off from the first stop sign some what agressive (nothing unusual)... it was raining and dark
When i got on the throttle I think the head lights flashed brighter (Hight beams) and there was 2 or 3 beeps like when the fuel light comes on.
I let off the throttle then and waited for a second and it did it again the next time i hit the throttle.
I babied the car for the next 5 minutes and then all seemed to be good...
CEL is on do to glow plug issue so I'm not sure if there are any other codes.

I'm sorry, I do realize how stupid this sounds but I have no idea what happened or what to do.

Luke.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very strange. Perhaps your voltage regulator is failing?

Get some VCDS logs of voltage and see if you can reproduce the problem. Also scan for error codes to see if that turns up anything.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If that's the problem, it's easy to fix. Hopefully VCDS will shine some light - haha - on the problem.

LukesTDI

TDI
2001 Golf
It's actually the battery cable was completely loose... Easy fix, I guess the little golf can stay for another day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
The little beast must have wanted some attention!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
When you say that you were driving somewhat aggressively, was the engine warmed up? If not, shame on you. It's one of the first things you learn (or are supposed to). Easy on the go pedal until the engine is warmed up. :)

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Routine maintenance, hard to blame the car....it's usually the nut holding the wrench, not the wrench on the nut that is the problem.

LukesTDI

TDI
2001 Golf
When you say that you were driving somewhat aggressively, was the engine warmed up? If not, shame on you. It's one of the first things you learn (or are supposed to). Easy on the go pedal until the engine is warmed up. :)
I agree, The car wasn't cold because I wasn't home for very long, I always make sure the car is warm before driving it hard.

LukesTDI

TDI
2001 Golf
Routine maintenance, hard to blame the car....it's usually the nut holding the wrench, not the wrench on the nut that is the problem.
I agree, I am just having lots of little issues that are driving me nuts (glow plug codes for no reason, going in to limp mode w/o storing a code and the heated mirrors refuse to work even after I bought new mirrors)

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Glow plug harness is a well documented problem. Limp mode frequently does not throw a code...also well documented, lots to look at during troubleshooting....happy reading, and good luck! The aearch function works well!

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
GP light is for some reason, not no reason and is probably intermittent. New harness will likely fix it if the GPs themselves are good. Easy $50 fix.

limp mode. lots of reasons. do some reading.

heated mirrors are also a known issue. Leaving the mirror adjust knob in the center position turns them on. If you leave it there, they are always on and burn out. Moving the knob to one of the mirror positions turns them off. fuse or relay?

LukesTDI

TDI
2001 Golf
GP light is for some reason, not no reason and is probably intermittent. New harness will likely fix it if the GPs themselves are good. Easy $50 fix.

limp mode. lots of reasons. do some reading.

heated mirrors are also a known issue. Leaving the mirror adjust knob in the center position turns them on. If you leave it there, they are always on and burn out. Moving the knob to one of the mirror positions turns them off. fuse or relay?
The GP light isn't on there is just a code and CEL is on They seem to work fine on the cold mornings... The harness has been replaced but maybe it needs to be done again.

I will get to them just money is a little tight right now because I was
Just laid off.

I've tried to research the mirrors and figured it was the actual heater element do to the knob being left on.
I replaced them with the blind spot mirrors from ECS but they still don't work. The fuse is fine, where is the relay? I figured there is one but part source didn't stock one so I wasn't sure what to do.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
you are warned!

my car went into limp mode 1 (capital 1) time before the turbo detonated... never stored a code. the next day the turbo went. still had no code.

if the car goes into limp mode DO NOT flip the key just to go faster. ive heard that before and it WILL kill your car. there is a reason when it goes into limp mode. LIMP it to wherever your going, LIMP it home, and start diagnosing. its almost always vacuum related. vacuum tubing is cheap turbos are not. its usually an easy fix.

glow plugs can go to hell as far as im concerned...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It's actually the battery cable was completely loose... Easy fix, I guess the little golf can stay for another day!

You beat me to it. That was the first thing I was going to suggest.

When I changed the clutch I didn't tighten the ground located under the battery. the car was fine for a few months and then sometimes it would not turn over and I did get a glow plug code.