99 passat brake reservior crack

srmichi

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf
Well yesterday I Try to bleed my uncles brakes using a motive bleeder. I was pumping the bleeder and before it got to 10 psi the reservior exploded sending brake fluid everywhere. Question is can he still drive it with the crack until he orders a new one? It cracked right above the max line.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's weird, I had the EXACT same thing happen on a 1998 Passat. Friggin' brake fluid went everywhere :mad: :mad: :mad:

It took quite a while to figure out what had happened. I thought the gasket in the cap had given away. The crack that opened up was very fine, very difficult to see.

The new plastic housing is around $100 :rolleyes:

srmichi

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf
dieseldorf said:
It's weird, I had the EXACT same thing happen on a 1998 Passat. Friggin' brake fluid went everywhere :mad: :mad: :mad:

It took quite a while to figure out what had happened. I thought the gasket in the cap had given away. The crack that opened up was very fine, very difficult to see.

The new plastic housing is around $100 :rolleyes:
yeah I thought the same thing until I took of the cap. So how come is unsafe to drive around with a hairline crack above the max fill line? Those the reservoir work like the coolant overflow tank?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
well, if it's not leaking out, it's OK to drive assuming you do plan on replacing. My concern would be moisture invading the container over time.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
srmichi said:
We are planing to get a new one. About the moisture how long we talking about? Days or weeks?
Probably more like months unless you live somewhere tropical.

[Also will the crack affect the braking?
Provided you have sufficient fluid so that it doesn't suck air into the piston it shouldn't matter. It is only a reservoir, but I wouldn't want to risk leaving it that way for long.