BEW / 05 Ranger automatic swap

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Got the TDI ECU mounted today, it went in real nice just below the battery. I might get the harness installed before the end of the day and then its real close to firing up!
ECU has a Malone Stage2 tune and as much deleated as possible.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The finished remote oil filter adapter just came in the door.
Looks realy nice.
Has the main oil out and return as well as turbo oil, oil pressure sender and a spare oil pressure port.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
IT'S ALIVE!!
Got it running today, not moving just running.
This really has been my first go at a TDI and when we installed the fuel lines I assumed the one with the sensor was gong to be the supply, after all who would put a sensor on the return line??!
Once I figured that mistake out it fired on the first revolution.
I spent a good part of the day working on the Ranger ECU wiring and hope to get it to move tomorrow.
Cant wait for the first test drive.:D

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Now that the engine is running I'm working on the Ranger side of things. I have most of the ECU wiring figured out with just a couple of stray wires that I cant find homes for. Tomarrow should be the first test drive to see how it shifts.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I have been driving it around for a few days but still trying to get the transmission to shift right.
All the gauges work and pretty much everything else is good. If this was a standard trans I would have been finished two weeks ago.
The truck has lots of power with only 2" exhaust, PD150 intake and a stage 2 Malone tune.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I could not get the stock belt tensioner to work with the new accessory bracket location so we made a manual one.
Also got the crank sensor bolted to the PS pulley to fool the Ranger ECU on the RPM

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Randy,
Seeing how the Ranger is a 5 speed automatic and early 2000s vintage Volkswagens are 5 speed automatics (i.e. compatible with the TDI ECU), it would be interesting to see if a Volkswagen TCU could control the Ranger / Mazda transmission as opposed to trying to make the Ford ECU/TCU work. Even if you do get the transmission working, how are you going to adjust the shift points and red line? From what I can see Ford is pretty un-hacked where Volkswagen / Audi is quite well documented software wise. While driving back from getting my fowl the other day I had my 4.0L Ranger on cruise control and one of the hills at 110km/h it shifted into 3rd which was a tad under 5000 rpm - that would be BAD news for the TDI. The nice thing about the Volkswagen TCUs is that you can get the shift points changed to match the TDI - and Tiptronic on the Ranger would be awesome, economy mode / towing mode (regular and sport modes) - paddle shifters or being able to hold a gear for towing. The Volkswagen TCU is how I would approach this.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
Good points made above, but I seriously doubt these two transmissions have a single electronic or hydraulic similarity.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I'm pretty pleased with it now and have started to drive it.
When I was playing around with the idea of moving the turbo actuator I had not properly readjusted it so I was getting 25lbs of boost and going into limp mode. Have that adjusted now and no more limp mode!!
It still downshifts at too high of an RPM and will spin the TDI to 4K, not over the TDI spec but not really any power up there.
The truck has 4:10 gears and lots of power off the line so I may change to 3:55 or 3:27 to see what that does.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Before you switch gears any way you get get a couple of tanks of gas on highway logged for mpg? That way those of us who have 4.10 and 5 SPD auto would know what we'd be looking at.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
That's a great idea but I'll use diesel. ;>)
I don't put many miles on in a week since I walk to work but will see how fast I can burn through them.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Haha oh yeah, for sure that would be preferable to using gas. :D

Thanks for what you can post, I'll admit I'm asking for my own purposes as I've got a Level II automatic so other than you having 4x2 instead of 4x4 you're running closer to my setup than most.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Finally got the temp gauge to read correctly and finished looming the harnesses.

Shifting is very good and drives real nice.
The automatic was a lot of extra work but in hindsight most of the work was because this truck had no harness, transmission or ECU when I started and all three of those parts were from different years of trucks.
If the truck had been a runner when I started this would have gone pretty smoothly.
Everything works other than the A/C which I don't have connected yet but all the components are there, just need to run the lines.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I had dumped about 10gallons of diesel into it when we first got it running and that brought it up to about 1/2 tank on the gauge.
It has not moved during all my testing so today I thought I had better fill it up.
Went to the gas station and started to fill.
Only got 1 liter in before it gurgled out the spout.:mad:
I used the stock filler and vent tube which turns out to be way to small for diesel as diesel foams so much easier.
Tomorrow I will hopefully get a full size truck filler neck and tube in as well as a second vent line.
I don't think power is a problem, lots of pickup and GO!

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Solved the slow fill problem.
I had just been using a 3/8 vent line off the back of the tank (blue).

I have now added a 1/2 line and increased the fill tube size from about 3/4 (stock) to about 1 1/2".
Fills quite well now.

DCLXVI

TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI
BEW ECU complete pinout

Is there anyway you could send me the complete pinout of the bew ecu. My ecu is the EDC 16. I cant seen to get the info anywhere. Thanks

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Finally got 600km on the truck and filled it up.
Averaged 27mpg (US) which is not bad considering my heavy right foot.
Most of this was city driving.
I'm sure if it had a standard trans and a lower (numerically) axle ratio that could come up quite a bit.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Saw your update over at TheRangerStation.com, thought I'd post my comparison info here also in case it helped anyone:

Thanks for sticking with making the auto work, and the mileage update!

For comparison, my '03 FX4 Level II, auto, 31" Firestone Destination A/T, would probably see about 14 mpg, if that, with harder city right foot driving.

I'm not hoping for a major engine issue anytime soon (just hit 214,000 mi!), but, these TDI swaps offer tantalizing mpg!
Chuck

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Sold the Ranger last week so I wont be able to get any more info out of it.
My Jeep should be about the same weight as the Ranger and hope to have it running in the next few weeks. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/200...blacky-205238/
It's our new family vehicle so I will be able to get lots of long term data from it.
Our last family Jeep was a 93 Grand Cherokee with a 2.8L Isuzu and its still on the road 12 years after being converted to diesel.
http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com...isuzu-4jb1-tc/