Resetting Inspection and Oil Change Reminders

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Had to swing by the dealership today after my 20K service to request inspection reminder reset. The oil interval was reset at the time of service at 19K, but the inspection reminder was counting down to 20K miles. Just wanted to share, since I didn't know how to do it myself - turns out to be a very simple process:

With car turned off,

- Inspection Reminder: Turn on Emergency Flashers. Then press and hold Reset/0.0 Button on instrument cluster and push the Engine Start button (without starting engine - foot off brake)

- Oil change reminder: Don't turn on Emergency Flashers. Then press and hold Reset/0.0 Button on instrument cluster and push the Engine Start button (without starting engine - foot off brake)

I do not have VCDS, so this was a useful information provided. Hope it helps someone in need.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
There should be a reset in the mfd also, my SE w/Nav has it. If not, then push and hold the 0.0 button and turn key to on but not start. If it does not reset it will give option and use time reset button to reset. It is in the vw service manual as options, the manual is one of the PDFs you can download from "Erwin". I don't recall having to turn on the flashers as part of it. I will look and see.

Just checked service manual. It states if not using VCDS then two options:
1. Select settings in MFD, go to service, select reset, select ok
2. Push/hold 0.0 button, turn key to on, release button and quickly press the time reset button and release 1 time. This should reset the service and the mfd should return to normal in a few moments.

I don't think an oil specific message is used on the U.S. NMS, only out of country. I have seen it in VCDS but it is not active.

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, very strange. I do not have an option on MFD to reset. When I go to service menu, the only options are Information and Back. If I hit info, it shows miles and time to Oil Change and Inspection interval. The service advisor showed me the reset procedure, which successfully reset it back to 10,000 mi/365 days. Is your option to reset available all time or just when you cross that 10K mark? Mine was notifying me, but I still had 500 miles to the service interval mileage. Not sure if year or trim type matters in this case?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Turning flashers on or off provided separate action question, one to reset oil and the second to reset inspection. No idea why a car needs both reminders...

PigeonF16

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, Graphite Metallic Blue, 6-speed manual
My 2010 Jetta TDI has Service reset option in MFD. However, after resetting it and checking "INFO", it has all dashes for miles and days to go. I have seen something about the reminder interval when using my VAG-COM, but my PC laptop recently died. Looking at loading the Ross-Tech software on my Macbook Pro with Parallels and Windows 7, but the Ross-Tech site says that's not supported. When I get my VAG-COM working again, i'll post what I find about the oil and service reminder interval.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Don't make the mistake of thinking 'not supported' means 'doesn't work' . . . . they are rarely related, so give it a try - you can't hurt anything . . .

- Tim