New Continental RNS-510 FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
Thanks for the assist, TDaye. As I figured, I have the old firmware rev as well. Since it appears that VW is not nor will not release the update, I suppose we have 3 options; call and complain (I have twice now), live with it, or like some of the more proactive people on here, get our own and update it. Looks like option 3 is the route I will go as well. Off to troll ebay. :)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for the assist, TDaye. As I figured, I have the old firmware rev as well. Since it appears that VW is not nor will not release the update, I suppose we have 3 options; call and complain (I have twice now), live with it, or like some of the more proactive people on here, get our own and update it. Looks like option 3 is the route I will go as well. Off to troll ebay. :)
I will have a download available soon. 2 People are testing for me. I just sent them the link a few minutes ago. If they are successful, I will post, and people can PM me. I don't want to make the link public at this moment. :rolleyes:

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
Then I will be standing by.....patiently.......not asking "Are we there yet?".......:)

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
well it still isn't quite as competent as the rns-315 but at least it is actually useable now!
cold bootup time @ settings menu to check is one minute and twelve seconds.... what was 3696 roughly?

Last edited:

konikg

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
though not hard, why does SW updates disable the advanced 30 sec hold setup menu... it really bugs me that i had to take out my vcds cable to enable downgrades so the netdata tool can change my boot-screen again?
also has anyone figured out how to import speed cams/traps etc onto one via an sd card?
Do You know where i can download speed cams/traps for RNS510 ?

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Do You know where i can download speed cams/traps for RNS510 ?
1)
Get the POI's from http://www.gps-data-team.com
The subscription is $7. Download the gfx file.

2)
Download http://poinspect0r.blogspot.ca/
It's on the right side.

3)
Read the pdf http://poinspect0r.blogspot.ca/
It's on the right side.
It will show you how to create the db file, copy it to the sdcard and load it into the rns-510.

Using the stock RNS Firmware I can't see the poi's on the map. I can navigate to them.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Then I will be standing by.....patiently.......not asking "Are we there yet?".......:)
We are there. The few that have tested have been successful. PM me for the link and details.

If I notice the link I send you posted anywhere public, I will disable it. I do not want random people downloading it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Just wanted to post my review of the updated firmware (I have not gotten the maps installed yet).

Preface: Do not expect it to be as fast or smooth as a dedicated Garmin GPS, your iPhone/Android, or anything else stand-alone. With that in mind, the update is a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my opinion.

The interface is the same (and relatively unintuitive) however the severe lag is gone. Things actually happen when you press a button, and the touch screen reacts as good as a non-capacitive touchscreen can. It also starts up and switches to the rear cam much faster.

In my opinion the system is now as good as the RNS-310 and RCD-510, and in the end, this update should fix a great majority of peoples complaints. It's still not the best in the industry or the next version coming in the new Golf. It is however good enough to keep me from buying a replacement in the immediate future or feeling burned by VW.

Cliff Notes: This update definitely makes the 510 usable and I hope VW rolls this out as a recall. Don't expect it to be as fast an iPhone however, it's more like an ATM now.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Thanks

Just wanted to post my review of the updated firmware (I have not gotten the maps installed yet).

Preface: Do not expect it to be as fast or smooth as a dedicated Garmin GPS, your iPhone/Android, or anything else stand-alone. With that in mind, the update is a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my opinion.

The interface is the same (and relatively unintuitive) however the severe lag is gone. Things actually happen when you press a button, and the touch screen reacts as good as a non-capacitive touchscreen can. It also starts up and switches to the rear cam much faster.

In my opinion the system is now as good as the RNS-310 and RCD-510, and in the end, this update should fix a great majority of peoples complaints. It's still not the best in the industry or the next version coming in the new Golf. It is however good enough to keep me from buying a replacement in the immediate future or feeling burned by VW.

Cliff Notes: This update definitely makes the 510 usable and I hope VW rolls this out as a recall. Don't expect it to be as fast an iPhone however, it's more like an ATM now.
Thanks for the objective review. Where did you get your copy of the firmware update and what version did you upgrade from?

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
Is anyone offering a disk that has all info provided for speed cameras ? For us who are not so computer savvy it seems a little daunting?

xdmod

Banned
TDI
2012 passat tdi
First of all thank you for the member who helped me with this update. The update makes switches between songs and the snappyness back in the unit!

I have one question, does the upgrade reset any of your sound settings you had before you updated like all the fader base etc?

Seems like a new system now, very nice. All I did was the firmware upgrade not the others, maps or vim.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
First of all thank you for the member who helped me with this update. The update makes switches between songs and the snappyness back in the unit!

I have one question, does the upgrade reset any of your sound settings you had before you updated like all the fader base etc?

Seems like a new system now, very nice. All I did was the firmware upgrade not the others, maps or vim.
No, it doesn't mess with the settings in the EQ, but It appears it might help the dynamic range. I haven't had a chance to really sit and listen, but it appears there is more low end response. Maybe some of the audiophiles can get an impression.

It does remove your phone favorites on the phone screen. You need to set those back up.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Is anyone offering a disk that has all info provided for speed cameras ? For us who are not so computer savvy it seems a little daunting?
It has to be loaded on the SD Card. I might see if I can pull this off. Give me a few days to play and test.

xdmod

Banned
TDI
2012 passat tdi
No, it doesn't mess with the settings in the EQ, but It appears it might help the dynamic range. I haven't had a chance to really sit and listen, but it appears there is more low end response. Maybe some of the audiophiles can get an impression.

It does remove your phone favorites on the phone screen. You need to set those back up.

Thank you! The update was amazing in response time tbo, I use the harddrive for switching between songs and the responsiveness is really a big difference. Anyone with this unit should get this update, huge thanks to you my man!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
For those of you that have been sent the link. An issue with the bandwidth on the account I am using has been brought to my attention. I am working on that, and will send you new links shortly. The interest is overwhelming. The limit on the Map Update is going to be about 10 downloads a day because of the size. Please don't download it anymore than once.

More info to come. It will take me a bit to get it restructured so more downloads can happen. I will update this thread once it is live again.

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
For those of you that have been sent the link. An issue with the bandwidth on the account I am using has been brought to my attention. I am working on that, and will send you new links shortly. The interest is overwhelming. The limit on the Map Update is going to be about 10 downloads a day because of the size. Please don't download it anymore than once.

More info to come. It will take me a bit to get it restructured so more downloads can happen. I will update this thread once it is live again.
LokiWolf, let me know if you need help with providing a mirror.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Alright,
You should have gotten new links via PM from me. If you did not, just PM, and I will send them on. Do not spread these, send people to me. Try to only click on each file and download it once. The Map update will be limited to 11 a day, the others will be far more. The Map file is 7.6GB. Be prepared for that download. The service I am serving it off of is fast, most likely you will be limited by your download speed.

Happy Downloading...

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
....Cliff Notes: This update definitely makes the 510 usable and I hope VW rolls this out as a recall. Don't expect it to be as fast an iPhone however, it's more like an ATM now.
I completely agree. By no means is it perfect, but to me, the response to a finger touch is a night and day difference.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I think it's the "Phone" button.

The Star button next to the CD drive.

For those updating, some troubleshooting tips:
  1. Make sure you have your car set to 24hr mode (do this via the time setting in the MFI).
  2. I was unable to do the update in accessory mode. This was frustrating to figure out with Kessy. Just unlock your car and push the radio's power button.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The Star button next to the CD drive.

For those updating, some troubleshooting tips:
  1. Make sure you have your car set to 24hr mode (do this via the time setting in the MFI).
  2. I was unable to do the update in accessory mode. This was frustrating to figure out with Kessy. Just unlock your car and push the radio's power button.
Excellent tips! #2 is the important one. The VIM and Firmware update must be done with the car OFF. Unlock the car, and press the power button to the radio. The VIM update is quick. For the Firmware update, after it is started you can close the car and come back. It will have a finish screen.

LWAnthony

TDI
2011 Jetta Sport Wagon, 2013 Passat SEL
Sent you a PM Loki. Thanks for all your work on this, I am really looking forward to getting the update soon! This has been the biggest complaint I have with the Passat, it will be great to get it fixed! ;)

agmx

TDI
Just did the software update. Worked just like the instructions. I do notice an improvement in button functionality. I will tackle the Map update after I get a DVD-DL. Thanks again!

cjlangston

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I can't seem to get the SW 4366 firmware update to "start". I've followed the instructions faithfully, the car is "off" and the radio is "on" using the radio button. I see the message that says "CD/DVD ERROR" but nothing happens after that.

I'm beginning to wonder if my SW version is too old to update…I have a 2012 Passat TDI SEL, and the SW version is "3690". The delivery part number is: 3C8035684E

Any ideas?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
after turning on rns-510 hit setup, wait for the 9 or so selections to appear, THEN input sw dvd-r into drive... after 15 or so seconds screen should flash and update will start!
the setup screen doesn't show up until the whole unit is fully booted up completely so the "please wait" screen can take up to 2 and a half minutes to disappear and the unit totally booted...
hope that helps some:)
BTW version E will work as long as it is not a test/betatesting unit lacking sirius radio as well as travel-link, so you definitly can update yours, after all i have never even seen a non dyi with a test/beta rns510

Last edited:

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Got it all done, thanks to LokiWolf, and pretty happy so far. I do feel like there is an improvement in response time, especially after everything is fired up. Really happy to have the maps update more than anything.

I had a thought about the slowness of the system...and this may just be my phone/setup: Is it possible everything is slow at first because it is trying to download the phonebook from our phones? I ask because I get a pop up most times saying that it is 'available' or 'completed' or something like that. Any thoughts?

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Phonebook

Got it all done, thanks to LokiWolf, and pretty happy so far. I do feel like there is an improvement in response time, especially after everything is fired up. Really happy to have the maps update more than anything.

I had a thought about the slowness of the system...and this may just be my phone/setup: Is it possible everything is slow at first because it is trying to download the phonebook from our phones? I ask because I get a pop up most times saying that it is 'available' or 'completed' or something like that. Any thoughts?
Most of the time my unit says phonebook not completed but when i access the pb it is there. Another question when i try to do a redial from the 510 i have way more numbers in the string than I should...any idea what is causing this and have you experienced similar?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.