splitting hairs- state your minor dislikes about the passat.

muraole

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
Took the new car on a road trip last week and realized how much distance there is between the seat and the door. visually it did not seem so much but it was further away than my 2001 a4 where I would rest my arm on the door handle area...just have to get used to this distance. certainly enjoyed the comfort and ride compared to my A4 and the mpg was nice too at 46.
I agree, between this and small range of motion of the steering wheel, it's hard to rest my elbow on the door while steering.

It's so amazing how awesome these cars are that we have resorted to complaining about small things like this. :D

xxl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, red, Jetta.....2013 Passat SE TDI
Ive had mine for 3 weeks and just got to 2000 miles.
Ive had a TDI Jetta since 2000 and 245,000 miles later I still have, and still use when I have to go to job sites for work.
I dont, and cant understand how some of you guys who have had no problems with these cars can whine about this and that. I just dont get it.
They are what they are, and that is what we bought. There are things that are different, but I am of the mindset that I will just have to get used to some of the things I am not used to and may feel a little different.

I just cant complain about a car that is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of other mfrs that offer Diesel cars in America. I did so many comparisons to Mb and BMW, side by side and the car that we have outspecs them in many ways for much less the price. The ownership cost will much less also and that is something that should be taken into consideration when you ***** about this and that.

Some people are just hard to get along with I guess.

I cant believe we have so much car for little a price when compared to the others.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Ive had a TDI Jetta since 2000 and 245,000 miles later I still have, and still use when I have to go to job sites for work.
I dont, and cant understand how some of you guys who have had no problems with these cars can whine about this and that. I just dont get it.
They are what they are, and that is what we bought. There are things that are different, but I am of the mindset that I will just have to get used to some of the things I am not used to and may feel a little different.

I just cant complain about a car that is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of other mfrs that offer Diesel cars in America. I did so many comparisons to Mb and BMW, side by side and the car that we have outspecs them in many ways for much less the price. The ownership cost will much less also and that is something that should be taken into consideration when you ***** about this and that.

I cant believe we have so much car for little a price when compared to the others.
It might help you to calm down if you'd read the thread title: "Splitting hairs...MINOR dislikes..."
This is a discussion forum. Most are just acknowledging very, very minor complaints...

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG

Nobody is really whining or *****ing. We bought the car knowing what we are getting.
And most of us (if not all) love the new passat.
The point of this tread is there are little things that are not there we wish it would be, or not even available as an option.
Example sunroof with manual trans on the SE line. you can get either or, not both, why?
or
(seems the most common) a manual trans with the SEL line.

Like o the other person said, this is a discussion forum, it is what we do here, no?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Minor dislikes? I didn't buy two! Even the backup cam doesn't bother me. With just a little patience all is good.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I have been thinking about this and haveeither posted my opinion on, or agrred with and have not posted on the following: uncomfortable right knee position, the lack of TC onn/off switch, poor lumbar support, seemingly thinner paint , , possible early turbo failure and the wire chafing issue. Outside of the wire chafing issue affecting some owners, all of the other information was readily available for research on this site before I bought and I still chose to buy. WHY?? Well the Passat had a cool look, The Passat destroyed my Camry Hubrid test driving experience after I drove the Passat, and despite what I knew, the emotional, not rational side of my mind made the ultimate decision to get in the SUV, drive half way across the state and buy the car in one day while driving home with it...Isn't that how it usually goes in the end? If our rational minds were always in control, would most any of really ever "need" a brand new car? If the functional purpose is to transport humans from point A to point B, a used vehicle makes better financial sense (almost always). So, with all this said, the minor annoyance I am trying to continue to deal with until I have time to deal with it is the stock sound system. Had I been able to figure out a way to get an upgraded system prior to my same day delivery, I would have.

There is one cool aspect of this Passat ownership thus far, however, that far outweighs any annoyance-even the sound system. Simply put, I have only had three fill ups. This is why I bought it and it hasn't disappointed. Current average: 38.8 MPG no highway all hills

I just edited this to acknowledge the fact that I think I sound like a raging lunatic

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Great car. Some things are puzzling me, as if VW forgot the comfort and convenience features/design well established in Jetta and JSW.

I read early on in this series about the e-brake being too high in the console, and another comment about wishing for an adjustable height armrest like the JSW has.

The problem(s) are that the entire console is about 3-4" too high. MY ELBOW CONSTANTLY BUMPS THE HARD PLASTIC "armrest" .It actually causes pain sometimes, certainly annoying on long trips. Where are you supposed to put your arm?

I am thinking that the only remedy is to cut the armrest down somehow. Sometimes I drive with the lid open, but that only exposes another sharp hard edge that cuts one spot on my arm, near the elbow. Crazy.

One other weird thing about the Passat... The driver door actually does have a keyhole, under the plastic trim/cover. The key operates all four windows up or down simultaneously like it did on my JSW (just turn and hold). Yes, it works on the Passat too! I know you can open the door and use the driver's window control lever, but that only seems to work under certain conditions, like just unlock and open the door or something. I miss the ultra convenience of just inserting the key and twisting on a HOT day, or when it is threatening RAIN. And the feature is there, covered by trim! :rolleyes:

Gas strut for the hood was nice in the JSW, and I miss the 115 AC power outlet, which came on EVERY JSW. I think I can add both of these things eventually. But really wondering how to deal with that console.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I agree with you, dub...but...those deletions saved xxx amount of dollars, which was, perhaps, VWoA's driving force behind the NMS.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
Great car. Some things are puzzling me, as if VW forgot the comfort and convenience features/design well established in Jetta and JSW.
Agree 100%. What you listed would have been nice, specially the built in 115V for laptop chargers that otherwise 19 Volt output.
It seems many of the other thing listed as "minor dislike" are may be personal issues based on simply because people are physically different- tall, short, round, skinny long arms, short leg or so. Such as pedals in the wrong location, knee rubbing, arm rest high or low. For an average person (like me.. I think, 5'9", 180lb) things seem to be just about ok, arm rest is good but adjustable up/down would be even better.
I just noticed and love the monkey hanger/handle on the roof above the left shoulder. awesome on long rides to vary body/hand position.

The other minor dislike or "wants" is simply borrowed from other car lines in which case much more expensive or may be a cheaper car had it 10 years ago. example the best car seat for me is in the Chevy suburban, which adjust in every way possible, heated and very comfy. Now how can I get that in the VW TDI? :)

Overall I am liking the Passat more every day... fine... I keep it for a while ;)

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
I have not read the whole thread, has anyone talked about the brake and gas pedals a little to close together?. Maybe it's just my big ass 13 EEEE feet but it seems they are closer together than on any other car I have driven!

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
I second radio sucks. I live in the city and stations come in and fuzz up at times.

Seat and positioning are an adjustment, surprised passenger seat wasn't power after purchase.
None are deal breakers, it was fun getting 40mpg on a round trip today. Other car is highlander hybrid and this thing almost doubles it up mpg wise.

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Gas strut for the hood was nice in the JSW
My '13 has a gas strut for the hood. Looks like it was a mid year production change. The owner's manual had a separate supplement for the section on opening the hood due to the gas strut versus prop rod.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have my few complaints posted above, but I will never say another bad thing about this car after having a Chrysler 200 for a rental this past weekend! Awful!

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I have my few complaints posted above, but I will never say another bad thing about this car after having a Chrysler 200 for a rental this past weekend! Awful!
I know. I recently had a Hyundai Sonata as rental. "Awful" doesn't begin to describe it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I drove my mom's Hyundai Elantra on a trip to and from PA for my father-in-law's funeral (my wife had already gone up, so my mom and I took my kids up). While it was awesome to have a navigation system that didn't seem like it came out of SkyLab, I really, really missed the torque of the TDI engine and the overall comfort of the Passat.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the 2013 Passat TDI we picked up last weekend. Beautiful car; it drives great and is very comfortable. My problem is with the things you have to give up if you want a manual transmission:

- No sunroof
- No MDI (Aux only, and that isn't controllable remotely)
- No floor mats

I don't see how VW saves any money omitting those items from a car is a small percentage of overall production. In fact, it is the opposite of what VW has done in the past, such as when they figured out it was ultimately cheaper to make power windows standard instead offering both power and manual windows.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Pretty standard for an SE passat. I ordered min as basic as possible from the factory amd it came with monster mats and car-go system only.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
RATTLES in the area by the front overhead lights. Horrible. Started literally right after the 12k mile marker (where VW makes an EXCEPTION in their warranty not to fix rattles). :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah the rattle exception is pretty ridiculous - our dealer mentioned that, as well. :rolleyes:

Dagw00d

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
  • HID headlamps.
  • Headrests that don't creep up.
  • Remote start that stays running when you open the door, when it actually works.
  • Some way to turn off the floor foot area lights.
  • An indication of regen in progress.
  • Tinted window option from OEM.
  • A mute switch on steering column for radio when you have to hit a drive thru.

2thedarkside

TDI
13 passat
I'm not a fan of how easy the paint chips. The hood has 4 in it already with only 1600 miles on the clock. I live in town never drive on gravel. My 190000mi acura only had two it's whole life.....what's the deal?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I'm not a fan of how easy the paint chips. The hood has 4 in it already with only 1600 miles on the clock. I live in town never drive on gravel. My 190000mi acura only had two it's whole life.....what's the deal?
Maybe your liberal neighbors are chipping it out of spite, surely your oil burner doesn't make people in Hybrid land happy. :D

Volkswagen surely isnt known for having great paint. Thankfully we don't have any chips on ours (7100 miles), but they are coming, no doubt!

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
  • A mute switch on steering column for radio when you have to hit a drive thru.
Don't know about Canadian cars, but my SE has a mute button on the left side of the wheel--the phone/radio controls.

As for nitpicks--- I miss the space-saving trunk lid hinges from my '99. The new ones crush things placed in their way.