Anyone install new exhaust on your TDI

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Opened mine up today! :D It's the same and looks great! May have to kick my vacation off a day early and be sick on Friday... ;)

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Looks good Loki! Where did you make the incision? Looks to be right above the rear-end. I'm thinking of trying to get mine installed today.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Looks good Loki! Where did you make the incision? Looks to be right above the rear-end. I'm thinking of trying to get mine installed today.
Yes, Exactly. Be careful, there are 2 lines running near it. Not sure what they are for, I didn't trace them. Adjusted my angle a few times during my cut to avoid them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I truly feel there are gains to be had. Opposed to what most people have said.. "Exhaust and intake aren't worth any gains until you get a tune."

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
The rule of thumb used to be "open the exhaust" to reduce backpressure on the turbo and "leave the intake alone" since the compressor will tend to get the air it needs through the stock setup - not sure if prevailing wisdom has moved in the last few years.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's pretty sharp. :cool:

Regarding performance enhancements, I don't think you're going to notice any gains by removing the rear muffler, as the major restrictions in the system are the DPF, cat, and other emissions components. If you remove those, then you will certainly realize some extra potential. I definitely don't buy AFE's claims of 9 hp and 32 lb-ft of additional torque from this cat-back system. :eek:

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That's pretty sharp. :cool:

Regarding performance enhancements, I don't think you're going to notice any gains by removing the rear muffler, as the major restrictions in the system are the DPF, cat, and other emissions components. If you remove those, then you will certainly realize some extra potential. I definitely don't buy AFE's claims of 9 hp and 32 lb-ft of additional torque from this cat-back system. :eek:
I agree it won't be as much as they claim. Other people have dynoed Jetta's with basically the same system and seen gains. Small, but still gains. Every little bit helps...especially in getting the hot exhaust gasses out...

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Yes, Exactly. Be careful, there are 2 lines running near it. Not sure what they are for, I didn't trace them. Adjusted my angle a few times during my cut to avoid them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It appears the 2 "lines" near where you made the cut are 2 wiring harnesses. One wrapped in split loom and the other wrapped with that special electrical tape. I didn't investigate to much to see where they go either but definitely something to keep an eye on when making the cut.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Here went mine. In the 3rd picture, you can see some minor scratches from the table on my sawzall as it bounced around a few times. It cut smooth and clean but took a few minutes to do so, given that the blade was somewhat worn. As for the 2 wiring harnesses above/next to the tubing... I turned the blade around/up-side down/teeth-side up (however you wanna interpret that) in the sawzall so that I was pulling it towards me in order to prevent catching the wires once the blade broke through the other side.

I'm going to run it as is for a little bit and then check all the connections again to make sure they stayed tight and to let everything settle into place. I'm hoping I can get the tip moved over to center it in the cut-out of the valance. Seems as though the hangers are gonna keep it where it is now though. Until then, it's probably gonna drive me crazy! :rolleyes: I also noticed that the front section is awfully close to the crossmember (in the 4th picture) as it turns horizontal above the subframe/suspension assembly. I could hear a little bit of a rattle during a drive to dinner while making some turns and very minor rattling over most bumps in the roads. For this, I think the hanger just in front of the rear-end can be persuaded some in order to lift the tubing a bit for better clearance.

And........

Lastly, upon arriving to dinner, the engine started a regen cycle. I sent everyone else inside while my dad and I waited for it to complete. My dad then called to me from the back of the car. As I approached, he pointed at the tailpipe. :confused:

My observations:
- Has a bit of a throaty sound in the bottom-end. Not annoyingly loud; noticeable but good sound.
- At idle, you can pick up a hint of a deeper tone as you walk from the driver side around to the rear of the car.
- Power, just like the AFE intake, seems like it's got a little more pep in the bottom-end. Sport mode is more fun to drive!

Overall, I like it! I was lucky to find the kit for the price I did. Otherwise, I'd probably still be waiting to order one.

Last edited:

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Anyone still trying to center the tip in the reveal of the lower valance? ;)

Also, here are a couple more pictures from underneath.

Last edited:

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
I had to pull the two pipes apart at the slip joint clamp about 1/2" to put it in a slight bind to hold itself up off the rear axle just a touch more than it was. It now has about 3/8" of clearance up over the axle so when you hit a choppy spot in the road it doesn't go bump bump bump on the axle :D

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
I truly feel there are gains to be had. Opposed to what most people have said.. "Exhaust and intake aren't worth any gains until you get a tune."

Speaking from experience and not speculation, replacing that cat back does nothing for sound and performance. Slight weight reduction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Speaking from experience and not speculation, replacing that cat back does nothing for sound and performance. Slight weight reduction.

I completely disagree. Not a change inside, but outside, when you get on it, there is definitely a difference. My wife even noticed after I installed mine when I left the house one day. I never told her I had it installed, and she noticed. Not like the loud ridiculous exhausts on most cars, but it is a change.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
I completely disagree. Not a change inside, but outside, when you get on it, there is definitely a difference. My wife even noticed after I installed mine when I left the house one day. I never told her I had it installed, and she noticed. Not like the loud ridiculous exhausts on most cars, but it is a change.

I'm gonna have someone drive my car so I can hear it from the outside ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
now that a few folk have had the afe cat-back system on for a while it would be great to know your observations of difference in throttle response, acceleration, seat-of-pants torque and mileage.
early-adopters, what results have you noticed, please?

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Malone Stage II. Absolutely ZERO difference with the AFE exhaust.

FYI, the tip WILL rust. And AFE will tell you to GFY when you ask them about corrosion and the warranty.

Unless you're doing a DPF delete (which I don't recommend EVER (I do diesel emissions compliance for my company)) it will make no difference of any kind.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
None here. Ever so slightly hissing of a turbo spooling up if outside the car. Did it for looks mostly anywho so I'm happy.

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
well, dang.
so much for AFE's semi-impressive claim.
i would love to install on Malone 1.5 6MT but won't unless it adds either performance or mileage (at least one, please!).
thanks

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Wait are you guys saying the stock catback is 2 1/4" then right before the DPF etc.. it does up to 2.5" ? If so I am going to make my own setup for $100.

Safe+fit

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Did anyone ever end up getting rid of the mid muffler? Or only muffler rather? Or spike, did you fab up a 2.5" continuation ?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
hmm, I don't care for the exhaust note of 4cyl diesels much, tdi, 4bt all kind of sound yucky to me. Now, the 2.5 V6 4motion passats across the pond sound amazing indeed :D