Want switched power

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I want to get rid of being plugged into the 12v outlet.

I have a Dashcam which is mounted on the windshield glass near the rear view mirror. What I want is a switched power supply for it and I believe it may be available in the overhead map light console. I have searched through all my saved Passat links but cannot find anything on how to remove the console.

Can anyone help me out with this? A Youtube or a pictorial link might be great if possible.
Thx

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks but that's basically what I'm doing, but the cable will NOT hide between the glass and the A-pillar or at the top of the windshield. Just won't go in there.

I bought a tiny power supply which I want to hide in the console and just have a very short power cable going to the Dash Cam.

I'll just carefully investigate how the console can be removed. Probably have to pop the lenses for the map lights or something like that.

madmedix

TDI
Passat
I did this in my '15 Passat: Discovered a couple things...(re: that Audi link):
The red pry tools they show are required for a damage-free experience. If you already replaced the map lights you already know what kind of force is required to pry that puppy apart. Mine has the T-25 head fasteners; and you'll want to remove the headliner fasteners too for nice wire routing. I went across the headliner and down the A-pillar (that A-Pillar pops right out: pull towards the opposite side of the windshield, not directly towards you sitting in the driver's seat). Be sure to route through this area AROUND the airbag and not over it. I dropped out the bottom and used a coat hanger from underneath to fish it down to the fuse panel. Using two fuse taps (one for constant 12V, one for switched 12V).

The reason I wired this way was that my camera (thinkware) was going nuts when wired to the available supply in the console. Not sure what goes on with those wires supply modes but it cost me a couple of corrupted micro SD cards within a couple weeks; aside from confusing the hell out of its sentry mode when the car is off. Wired this way - no problems since.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I have the plastic pry kit (4 pieces) because I changed all interior and puddle lights to LED bulbs. So I know what I had to do to get at the map bulbs.
There has to be a constant (switched) power in the console to power the dimming mirror which only comes on with the key guess my multimeter will tell me.

I broke my wrist a few weeks ago so I have to wait another couple of weeks to get my dexterity back in it before I tackle that.

I have the A118C dashcam which sticks to the windshield, no suction cup!

BTW: In my former 2002 Jetta I did remove the A-pillar cover, but it never ever went back as good as from the factory.

Also here is a software tool to format a SD card. Corrupted or not.

madmedix

TDI
Passat
Mine sticks to the windshield too (gotta love the $15 for another one LOL...oh wait, there's my 3D printer...).

I too was worried about the A-Pillar before I did this but it actually went back great. If you fish thru the dash (or go under) I used the fourth fuse slot from left on top as the switched supply (it was naturally empty but if yours isn't the taps allow you to move the fuse for the circuit to it and add another for the camera) and for constant I used the third row; fourth from left. (Passat). My mk4 Golf is the same.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The reason I wired this way was that my camera (thinkware) was going nuts when wired to the available supply in the console. Not sure what goes on with those wires supply modes but it cost me a couple of corrupted micro SD cards within a couple weeks; aside from confusing the hell out of its sentry mode when the car is off. Wired this way - no problems since.

I haven't got to it yet because of my left wrist.

But I was thinking about your problem. I wonder if you could have chosen the wrong 12v line in the console? I assume there is a switched 12v line to the mirror dimmer switch and possibly a return from the switch. (Just my guess).

So I am thinking that the dimmer switch has to be OFF to avoid picking the wrong 12v line and pick a solid 12v line. If it is coming from the dimmer switch I assume it might cause problems since it senses headlights from behind you and may be going on and off or dimming up and down. In other words an intermittent 12v or less line. As I said that's only my thought but sounds sensible to me.

Last edited: