Glow plug

Dewaynes

TDI
2006 beetle
Please help 2006 beetle tdi bew I want install a manual glow plug switch, I have been thru the system and everything short of going to a dealer which around here is few, plus this is a beat around car for me, I love it but when it gets cold which is seldom I need it to start easier don't like to have to park it inside just to get it to crank, l know is a 4 wire system and if I unplug the temp sensor it works better but don't wont to plug and unplug and yes it has been replaced also thanks in advance

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Find the signal in wire that tells the glow plugs to come on going to the relay. Then you run a wire into the drivers area, often a good place is on the dash. This can be a small wire as it's not going to carry much load. It will be connected to a switch for the driver to push, you can hold it in while waiting. Then you would need to run the wire to a fuse in the box. The fuse should be one that isn't used when not running, however, you can use a lug on the fuse box that has power when key is in run position.

As long as you have power to the push button you install and it goes to the wire that already tells the relay to turn on it'll be easy and work the way you need.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Dewaynes

TDI
2006 beetle
The relay is under the dash so any suggestions on the correct terminal on the relay and the position in the relay box that is the glow plug relay it does click on and off I hear it good but so I am 100% sure thanks

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Here I thought it was under the rain tray and wipers.
They should all work the same from what I understand.
This is the second thread you've posted this in and I'm not sure the reason for this.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Your car uses pulse-width-modulated glowplugs rated for 5 or 7 volts...they will not last long hard-wired to 12V. :)

Best bet by far is to keep pluggin' till you figure out what is actually wrong. Starting with: what codes are being set.

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Can't one extend glow plug on time with VCDS like you can on an ALH engine?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The elephant in this room is why does Dewaynes think his glow plugs need to be
modified in the first place? It could be as simple as a failing/wrong size battery or
a starter that has seen better days or an alternator that needs a rebuild or grounds...

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
The elephant in this room is why does Dewaynes think his glow plugs need to be

modified in the first place? It could be as simple as a failing/wrong size battery or

a starter that has seen better days or an alternator that needs a rebuild or grounds...
True, I used to cycle my GP two to three times just to start my car.... And then I got a new battery after old one bit the dust and my problem went away.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Dewaynes

TDI
2006 beetle
Below 30 degrees it doesn’t start as easy as it should glow plug light comes for the same about of time as if was warmer. I have other Diesels that start better I changed to the green temp sensor no time difference on light staying on have checked voltage to GP and are reading correct car is not worth going to dealer just for this problem

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
glow plugs are light light bulbs, change them as needed. i would test them. they should draw a specific ohms or resistance or they are toast. if they are open to circuit then there dead. $10 multimeter will help test them. be careful with the harness they are brittle. do some reading up on stripped glow plugs. you want to use the right tools and the right penetrants to get them to come out. best practice is to mix up some 1:1 acetone and ATF in a oiling can and put some on each one at the threads each day after you shut it off for the day at the end of work or errands. for at least 3 days before you try and back them out. there cheep but if you snap one off just let it be. best to leave a broken one in than and run on 3 good ones than mess with it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
How South west VA are you? how far are you from DC or Frederick MD area? id be happy to lend a hand swapping them out

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Since you don't seem to have any CELs showing (is that true?) your glowplug system is most likely fine. Things that cause hard winter starts and don't cause a CEL include:

- static timing out of adjustment
- poor compression
- weak battery
- weak starter
- poor connections between battery and starter, or battery and ground

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, when was the last time you installed a battery? What are the cold cranking amps?

The quality of your battery when a diesel is concerned is yuge. Especially freezing temperatures cold starts where a low battery dies not have the charge to provide the amps needed to glow a plug hot.

At this point your best bet is to put a new battery in.
If you need to prove this to yourself, hook a battery charger to it and run a 30 amp charge for 10-20 minutes, then try to start it first thing in the morning.
If it does what its supposed to right off I'd be surprised.