12' Passat 6MT tranny / synchros upgrade

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I upgraded my clutch to a SMF SBC stage 2 endurance about 5k miles ago after the stock DMF clutch failed. A few weeks ago I killed the 4th gear synchro. It will go in if you double clutch but grinds any other time. The other synchros like to take their good ole time too it seems with this install. car has dpf delete and stage 2 tune. Ive heard these clutches are hard on synchros after doing reading and i was shifting very quickly when the failure occured. Im currently running 85 140 oil since the synchro failure and it seems to help once the tranny has warmed up. I would like to upgrade the synchro if its possible but i dont know that many or any aftermarket tranny parts are available for this car. Id have to research what tranny codes the later year passats are running to see if theres a better compatible synchro available. Anyone know if the jetta or golf trannys will work on the ckra? Ive talked to a few guys that said the passat got a heavier duty tranny for the weight but im thinking jetta or golf trannys are more available and theres probably more aftermarket upgrade parts available for them. Anyone with any knowledge or info on this would be appreciated!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ive heard these clutches are hard on synchros after doing reading and i was shifting very quickly when the failure occured.
This is problem #1 - why syncros go.

Which clutch kit did you get? Does it have the super heavy flywheel and the "silent" disk?

Rumor has it that a Fluid Damper will help dampen the chatter characteristics but I find it hard to believe that much more than forcing shifts is what is killing syncros.

It doesn't seem to be an issue in the 02M trans from earlier models, I wonder if all the mounts line up for that trans. I believe you have an 02Q trans.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
So after disassembly and some research my tranny is an 02Q with code NGB. 1st gear synchro ring, 3 and 4 synchro rings and synchro hub parts are broken. After researching trying to find why things broke other than aggressive shifting i ran across a thread about gear oils and how G0 52 oils are much thinner than off the shelf 75w90 oils. im trying to figure out the exact viscosity of G052171A2 for my 02Q but could only find oil analysis numbers for some other G0 52 oils on the forum and they were like 6 ish at 100 degrees where my royal purple is at like 16.5. anyone have the answer for viscosity of G052171A2? id rather run something i can buy cheaper off the shelf but i will go back to G052171A2 if i have to. I believe between running thicker oil and harsh shifting with the new smf flywheel it was too much for the synchros. the locking tabs actually broke off of the rings. Id been running royal purple 75w90 for about 25k miles and a smf sb stage 2 clutch for 5k miles

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the other gears were slow cause it had to stir up that 85-140

when you get it back together run something like synchromesh type fluid, or honda MTL

They're thin like water, but still have all the good EP additives that keep gears happy.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
the other gears were slow cause it had to stir up that 85-140

when you get it back together run something like synchromesh type fluid, or honda MTL

They're thin like water, but still have all the good EP additives that keep gears happy.
Ya I wasnt ever too knowledgeable on how synchros work but am understanding better now. i switched to 85 140 after the damage had already occurred to protect my gears some while i was still driving the car. but even the 75 90 i was running was way too thick apparently! when i initially changed it i ised an amsoil chart for a G052171A2 equivalent and it said 75 90.i had no idea the stock oil was so thin. hopefully ill be able to keep it together this time!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Ya I wasnt ever too knowledgeable on how synchros work but am understanding better now. i switched to 85 140 after the damage had already occurred to protect my gears some while i was still driving the car. but even the 75 90 i was running was way too thick apparently! when i initially changed it i ised an amsoil chart for a G052171A2 equivalent and it said 75 90.i had no idea the stock oil was so thin. hopefully ill be able to keep it together this time!
yup

I had the same issue with my ranger
80-90 and -20 degree temperatures meant the only way it'd shift at all was if you idled it in neutral for a half hour and waited for either the churning or the catalytic converter to warm it up enough, or just revmatched best you could while only using the clutch to get going in first.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Anyone know where to find the steel wire spring for an 02Q or 02M transmission? vw will only sell me the whole synchronizer hub but all i need is the spring

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
^ That makes a lot of sense to me. Goes along somewhat with what Jon Fettig has been saying about this issue but with a plausible cause effect theory to go with it. We need a good SMF strategy since DMFs seem to be hard to make live behind a tuned engine for the long haul.

Perhaps what is needed is a lighter weight properly sprung disc. Maybe it is time for someone to step up with some more exotic materials for that part.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Smaller diameter multi disc clutches have been a common high-rpm low-inertia thing for a while now.

That said, just don't bangshift every damn gear. That kind of abuse is for dogboxes.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh right, and the mass of the friction disk is really insignificant when compared to ALL the gears on the mainshaft and countershaft, and the shafts themselves (though they don't count for much as their mass isn't far from the axis of their rotation.

Something you can do that is somewhat easy is to remove gears you don't use often. Always start out in second? Make up a low mass spacer to fit in the place of first. Gears with a large ratio are the most massive, so removing first will make a much larger difference than removing fifth.
This is why light duty transmissions are going more toward being centered around direct rather than having direct as the top gear. Smaller diameter gears are less abusive on synchronizers. Easy enough to make up the difference in the final drive ratio.
Heavy trucks will still always have direct as the cruising gear, as that means there is less power loss through gear mesh. Synchros are expected to be slow, and drivers are somewhat better trained (usually through very expensive experience)

Turning the sides of the gears that are not in contact down to the width of the contact patch, or are rough "as cast or forged" webs is another easy way to reduce rotating mass that the synchronizers have to deal with.

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Got all my parts ordered today! Even the spring and catch pieces for the synchro hub. I got them from ecs tuning. They had everything in stock and for a fraction of the price of the dealer. They saved me a ton since the dealer would only sell me the entire synchro hub for $350.I definitely plan on shifting slower after this! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Excellent post

It is my understanding that the reason the synchronizers fail in SMF conversions is due to the increased mass of the sprung center clutch disc. The synchros job is to "brake" the input shaft and clutch disc so that its speed matches that of the gear you are trying to engage. Once this is achieved and the gear is selected, the sychro ring just floats on the shaft. No power is transmitted through the bronze ring and torque pulses should have little effect. I cannot see any reason that a lack of crank damping would have any correlation to synchro failure, since the synchro only comes into play very briefly while shifting and is never even engaged while the engine is under power, assuming you push in the clutch while shifting...

DMF setups dampen the engines torque pulses in the flywheel and therefore can use a light, thin steel clutch disc with no damper and minimal inertia. Thus the job of the synchronizer is quite easy and the synchro rings are designed with this in mind (read-small and light duty). The SMF conversion kits move the damper from the flywheel to the clutch disc. A clutch disc with integral spring damper is much heavier and one of two things happens, shifting action is now slower since it takes longer for the same synchro to "brake" or speed match the heavier clutch/input shaft, or the operator just pushes it into gear harder to obtain the same shift speed, increasing stress on the synchro rings until they eventually give up.

Running thinner oil (the VW stuff is pretty good) will probably help the situation to some degree since the lower viscosity and film strength will allow greater synchro friction (better "braking" of the input shaft/clutch), so less force will be needed to acheive the same level of synchro friction. I think it is the high force that tends to kill the synchro rings more so than the added friction/heat.
This is very informative. Thank you!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I agree, I'm not 100% convinced the added inertia is that significant considering everything else on the input shaft but we have covered what the problem really is "bang shifting" as [486] calls it. Always match revs(easy to time) and don't force into gear.

I owned a S4 that the 1st gear syncro was shot, previous owner(a friend) would always downshift too early coming to a stop(put into 1st while rolling in early holding the clutch until left stop) which killed it over time. Treat the trans right and it'll treat you right.

ETA- I'm switching over to SMF within a week or two so I'll report back my experience on the inertia thing.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^This is why, despite popular sentiment, I went with a traditional DMF setup on my passat's 01E. I had heard the stories of excessive synchro wear, and chalked them up to the above, plus excessive force on the shift lever - younger crowd "power shifting" and all.

If you have to force the lever into gear, you're doing it wrong. light pressure on the shifter, and wait for the revs to line up. The shifter falls into gear with minimal pressure, even when cold when you do it right.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I call hogwash on clutch disk weight on anything to do with syncro shattering. If youre running a triple disk sled pulling clutch in your 95 Cummins trying to run at the strip, then yes that will noticeably affect shifting speed. But we're not talking about nv4500's here.

$20 says if you look very closely at the broken off drive dogs of the synchro ring, it will show significant wear marks on both sides. This indicates the ring is whipping back and forth causing fatigue impact damage. Yes, hard shifting certainly doesn't help the matter at all and should be avoided, however its not the only problem at work. The strong shaft speed oscillations from firing pulses at low rpms are the killer here. The 02ms and early 02q's use brass synchro rings and they handle the beating just fine and rattle away like midgets with jack hammers in your trans. The newer 02q's use cast steel synchro rings that don't seem to handle the impact at all. 01E's have a similar problem since their input shaft is 2ft long.

My recommendation is to run redline shockproof gear oil (heavy in hot climate, lightweight if in cool climate), and a fluidampr with an smf coversion for the newer 02q's in the CR cars. Be sure to use the heavy flywheel also, not the 17lb one.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
^This is why, despite popular sentiment, I went with a traditional DMF setup on my passat's 01E. I had heard the stories of excessive synchro wear, and chalked them up to the above, plus excessive force on the shift lever - younger crowd "power shifting" and all.

If you have to force the lever into gear, you're doing it wrong. light pressure on the shifter, and wait for the revs to line up. The shifter falls into gear with minimal pressure, even when cold when you do it right.
I also went with a DMF with the 04 wagon after having used various weights of SMF on previous MK4s. The shift quality is like a new car.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The disengaged gears don't really count.
I had that in my head once too, just remember that all modern transmissions are constant mesh, and the disengaged gears spin with the input.

I actually don't know about the 6 speed VW transaxle, what with two final drives, but I assume it is consistent with every other transaxle in that regard.
I owned a S4 that the 1st gear syncro was shot, previous owner(a friend) would always downshift too early coming to a stop(put into 1st while rolling in early holding the clutch until left stop) which killed it over time.
Heh, reminds me of me when I was just learning to drive a manual.
Did that coming off the freeway at 60 or so. You could hear the input bearings SCREAM. Luckily the friction lining didn't blow off the disc, and that clutch is still functional years later. Trans is a little louder though.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I had that in my head once too, just remember that all modern transmissions are constant mesh, and the disengaged gears spin with the input.

I actually don't know about the 6 speed VW transaxle, what with two final drives, but I assume it is consistent with every other transaxle in that regard.

Heh, reminds me of me when I was just learning to drive a manual.
Did that coming off the freeway at 60 or so. You could hear the input bearings SCREAM. Luckily the friction lining didn't blow off the disc, and that clutch is still functional years later. Trans is a little louder though.
bhtooefr did that in his old naturally aspirated diesel Golf, but he wasn't so lucky and it blew the clutch to pieces. Oops!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I considered this fact as well. The disengaged gears remain in mesh but are not locked to the input shaft until engaged.
Hm. I guess I could see it being set up that way on a transaxle. I'm used to normal longitudinal trannies where the input drives the countershaft and then the idler gears get clutched to the output. meaning the synchros have to spin up/down every single gear in the transmission.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I would say that the symetrical wear is because you downshift as well as upshift. Naturally the ring will experience wear on the opposite side of the drive ear as it speeds up the input shaft during a downshift. I am wondering if anyone has ever broken a 6th gear synchro? In the case of resonance, it should be experiencing exactly the same conditions as any other gear and is the same exact part, but would rarely be shifted in an agressive manner.
I won't dispute that the synchros are more fragile in the newer tranaxles. I expect the aftermarket will come though with single stage bronze synchros at some point.
I'll let the pics do the talking.
02J syncro ring with 320K on it, last 200k with g60/vr6 smf. Equal polishing, less than .005" deep wear, on both sides of drive dog.

01E syncro ring with 3000 miles on it. 17lb smf, no fluidamper, OE oil. Notice points of contact that drive ring. Easy .040" deep.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I call hogwash on clutch disk weight on anything to do with syncro shattering. If youre running a triple disk sled pulling clutch in your 95 Cummins trying to run at the strip, then yes that will noticeably affect shifting speed. But we're not talking about nv4500's here.
$20 says if you look very closely at the broken off drive dogs of the synchro ring, it will show significant wear marks on both sides. This indicates the ring is whipping back and forth causing fatigue impact damage. Yes, hard shifting certainly doesn't help the matter at all and should be avoided, however its not the only problem at work. The strong shaft speed oscillations from firing pulses at low rpms are the killer here. The 02ms and early 02q's use brass synchro rings and they handle the beating just fine and rattle away like midgets with jack hammers in your trans. The newer 02q's use cast steel synchro rings that don't seem to handle the impact at all. 01E's have a similar problem since their input shaft is 2ft long.
My recommendation is to run redline shockproof gear oil (heavy in hot climate, lightweight if in cool climate), and a fluidampr with an smf coversion for the newer 02q's in the CR cars. Be sure to use the heavy flywheel also, not the 17lb one.
Do you know if there is a fluidampr available for a CKRA? I looked on the fluidampr site and couldn't find one. The part number for the jetta and passat harmonic balancers are different also

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Ill have to take a look at my rings tomorrow and check the wear on the ones that still have drive tab

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I am wondering if anyone has ever broken a 6th gear synchro?
My 01E failed 5th gear synchro at ~3000 miles with an SMF. I believe I know of one other 01E with both 5th & 6th failed.
In fact on the 01E the 5th and 6th gear synchros seem to be more failure prone, as they are at the far end of the input shaft.
I think Mr. Whitbread is correct..

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Do you know if the brass synchros from early 02Q are compatible for use in a later 02Q or where to find part numbers for an early 02Q? Im not sure of thw weight of my flywheel as it wasnt a choice for the passat with CKRA engine clutch and smf kit

Kawyrider

TDI
2015 tdi
767wrench. Did you find out if the syncros from the earlier 02qs will work for the newer 02qs and if vw even sells the older style syncros anymore?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I making an assumption here that the early 02Q still uses brass because it still uses 02M gears. I had sourced 02M synchros to see about swapping into my '15 02Q, and they will not work. The synchro sets lay into the gears differently, so it's a no go.