Random Crank, no start, no Glowplug light on key insert

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
Hi all. I've owned my Jetta MkIV TDI since '03. I've had a myriad of problems. But one problem in particular hasn't been fixed. No one knows what cuases it.

I get a random (once a month to several times a week to several months with out the issue) no start issue. I've had the following components replaced in the last 6 mos

-EGR Valve
-ECM (can you believe it!?)
-Fuel Relay
-Battery

When I insert the key and turn it, for 1 second all the indicators light come on for a brief second EXCEPT for the glow plug light. If I try to start the car the engine turns over and over but doesn't catch. This problem has been with my car since I've owned it. The problem goes away after 5 minutes or longer. Any ideas? :confused::confused:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
What color is your 109 relay?

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
The fuel relay (is that the 109?) was black. I saw the tech pop it in right under the hood. If there is a newer grey version why do I, as a consumer have to come online to find this information and TWO dealerships don't know this? That annoys me.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The relay should be in the relay panel above the driver's knees. Four(?) torx screws and the cover comes off. Replace it for $20. Dealers don't seem to know about this as an issue.

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
rdkern said:
The relay should be in the relay panel above the driver's knees. Four(?) torx screws and the cover comes off. Replace it for $20. Dealers don't seem to know about this as an issue.
Yea I saw the VW tech replace this part. I have my cover off permanently (always getting in the way). So he reached under the steeering column, popped a tiny black box out and plugged a new one in. Is this what you mean?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, that what was needed. The old relays were prone to failure, and the newer ones, which I expect he did replace it with, are much less problematic. If it didn't fix the problem, purchase another one and replace it yourself. If the gp light does not come on when you're having the no-start, 99.9% odds that the relay 109 isn't good.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
honesttussey said:
so the most common way power is not getting delivered is b/c a faulty relay?
Basically.... yes. Bad ignition switch too, but it is more flakey. The relay often acts up when warm rather than cold, and can also cut out while driving (can be rather exciting when that happens).