2004 Golf TDI - Turning signal not working

mparobek

TDI
WV Golf GLS TDI 4dr hatchback 2004
Hello,

My turning signals and hazard lights in my MK4 2004 Golf TDI stopped working recently. The turning lights don’t work, and there is no clicking sound or flashing arrows on the dashboard. After it stopped working, I had a weird (electronic?) burning smell in my car for about 2 days after.

I also checked the fuses for both the turning signals and hazard lights, and they both look fine.

Does anyone know what the cause might be, and how best to troubleshoot the issue?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Open the rear hatch. Pull the rear taillight bulb assemblies out and check for melting. If you need new ones hit up a local junkyard gas or diesel it doesn’t matter on these. Or find a good used one on eBay.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
It’s the hazard switch failure that cause this.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

I had forgotten about this since I’ve not had it happen to me.....yet. Pull that switch and check for the same thing. New ones can be had from supporting vendors, idparts, metalmanparts, cascadegerman and others. Or go to the junkyard.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I had forgotten about this since I’ve not had it happen to me.....yet. Pull that switch and check for the same thing. New ones can be had from supporting vendors, idparts, metalmanparts, cascadegerman and others. Or go to the junkyard.
Yes to both of these. Mine failed, smelled like electronic circuits burning.