Skid plates/ Ventectomy

oguzooz

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
Aight its becoming more and more of an issue.

i have searched and only found MK4 Skid plates (panzer) and i obviously drive a MK3. anyone know of anything? or am i just dumb and looking in the wrong place.

Also Venting a MK3. cant find descriptions... any one other that has done it. help me out. i took the black rubber out but cant find any guys that i could pry out or unscrew.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I don't know of any skid plates for that car.

If the vent on the A3 is the same as the B4, the ventectomy is essentially the same as it is for the A4. I was able to reach mine from under the wheel well, IIRC.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Ventectomy on a MK3 should be very similar to MK4 (based on what I saw at TDIFest). I do recall that the MK3s tend to accumulate mud and other crud around the fuel filler, so a rag to stuff into the neck while working is advisable. Other than that, I think the physical bits are the same.

Search up the ventectomy instructions for a MK4 (a.k.a. A4 chassis), and have a look. If you still have questions, see if you can get hold of Paramedick - he ran the ventectomy how-to at the 'Fest, and can easily answer any remaining questions.

Rob

CaptainKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
B4 Ventectomy

It looks like all the write ups with pictures have broken links. Does anyone have a Ventectomy write up for the B4 with pictures?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Cap'n Kirk, no pictures. But here is a more detailed A3/B4 set of instructions posted in the How-tos. It really is easy, but messy.

Ventectomy for the A3/B4

1) Remove the cap on the filler neck, and put a rag in the filler neck.
2) There is a metal ring in the edge of the rubber boot around the filler neck. Remove this.
3) Pull up on the rubber boot to remove from around the filler neck. Now you know why there is a rag stuffed in your filler neck. Massive quantities of caked mud/dirt. Clean out what you can by hand. There is a rubber hose connected to the boot that drains spilled fuel. Disconnect it from the appropriate place. You'll see what I mean. While you have the boot out, clean the drain tube. Chances are that it's partially plugged with gunk.
4) Put the filler cap back on. Use a hose to clean out what you can of the dirt. This will take a bit of time.
5) When clean, remove the filler cap.
6) Reach rearward of the filler neck. About 2-3 inches back, you will feel a knurled knob. Unscrew this, and remove it.
7) Take an object, and push against the vent button inside the filler neck. I have found that the rubber covered handles of a pair of large pliers work perfectly.
8) You will notice that there is an object emerging from the area where you removed the knurled knob. Grasp it, pull it rearward, and remove from car.
9) You will see the vent button, a spring, and a plastic retainer ring inside of the housing that was removed. Remove the plastic retainer ring, the spring, and the vent button.
10) Put the spring back in the assembly, and replace the plastic retainer ring. Why? No particular reason. I just leave them in place as they cause no future problem. Put the vent button wherever you prefer (garbage, trunk, shelf, etc.).
11) Slide the assembly back in place. Note the shape, and match it to the orifice shape before you push it back in place.
12) Screw on the knurled knob
13) Replace the rubber surround for the filler neck after you have cleaned it of mud/dirt. Don't forget to hook up the hose.
14) Replace the metal retaining ring in the rubber boot
15) Replace the fuel cap. You're done
15) Go the your favorite fueling place. Place the nozzle on low or medium setting. When it kicks off, slowly top off the tank. You will be amazed at the additional fuel that will go in there.

Note: A3 Jetta is the same, except that there is a tab in a slot on the underside of the housing for the vent assembly. No knurled knob. Press the tab upward with the screwdriver, and follow all the other directions.