adjusted injection pump manually

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
adjusted injection pump manually

so i just got back from adjusting my injection pump manually, now in the "tdi-timing" graph in vag-com i read fuel temp 129-131 timing 60-62. is there a reason why my fuel temp is so high and should i worry?
also i went into adaptation and my injection quantity is at 3.6. i tryed messing with the number but i could not get it to move or save... i logged in using code 12233 and went into adaptation...

why cant i adjust my injection quality??

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Re: adjusted injection pump manually

Are you saying you adjusted the injection timing, or the injection quantity? Timing would be kind of swivelling the pump forwards and backwards to get the timing in-spec. The IQ is done by the hammer mod. As for the IQ..yeah, tell me about it. On my 98 I could only adjust it very little. I had to do the hammer mod...now I can adjust all over the place with Vag-Com, but I still prefer mechanical vs adjusting the ECM.

I am not sure about your fuel temp, though. Are you completely sure you were up to full operating temperature? Also, is that farenheit, or celcius? If it is celcius, then yeah, I would guess that either your fuel is being superheated somewhere or a sensor is off.

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)

i adjusted the pump by pushing it twords the motor by a hair. i was trying to adjust my injection quality by going into the adaptation section and hitting value block 001...

Big Red

Veteran Member

Can someone point me to the IQ hammer mod? what the heck is that? I just put my timing at 65-68. I've been messing with my injection quantity and only seem to be able to get it up to 3.2. I was having some troubles and I decided to look at IQ. Car was running at 1.8-2.0. I've used the full adaptation and now it is 3.2. I'd like to bump it to 4.0 or so to be in the center of the spec.

Any reason this would change? Is it a sign my pump is going bad? Let me know about the hammer mod thing.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Big Red...have you done anything to your car, or is it completely stock?

As for the IQ...yeah, you'll have to do the hammer mod. I don't know of any of the links off-hand to be honest. The best way I found out was by having someone show me how to do it. You'll need a special tool, though (available from metalnerd). Basically you have to loosen 4 bolts, and shift the head of the pump SLIGHTLY to the IQ you want. (need vag-com in order to watch the IQ number as you TAP the head).

Basically, if you look at the top of the pump, you'll see 4 screw heads on top, and then another 3 on the next level down on the pump. You'll have to loosen the odd-shaped screw, and then the three lower ones. Just crack them loose a little...don't completely loosen them. Tapping the head towards the timing belt raises the IQ (lowers the injection amount) while tapping away from the belt lowers IQ (raising injection amount).

Sorry, I can't really be much more descriptive without pictures. Only thing I can suggest is to search for +hammer +mod on this site...I am sure you'll get a lot of links.

Big Red

Veteran Member

I found a good link last night and ordered the tool today.

My car is 100% stock so it makes me wonder why my IQ is so low (or is drifting).

haakeyez50

TDI
Jetta TDI early 1999 color black

Thanks great pics I will try it Block two would be in the 001 blocks the second one if I am reading everyone correctly. Thanks again.

Big Red

Veteran Member

Nope, the Fuel Quantity at Idle is adjusted via the Adaptations area of VAGCOM. Login as 12233 and then go to Adaptations, then go to Adaptation 002. The top of the screen has three or four blocks. The block labeled injection quantity is the one to watch. Be sure to set the Adaptation to the default setting before doing the 'hammer mod' so you have some room to adjust up or down when you are done.
As others have stated, this should probably be called the 'tap' mode since it doesn't take much to move the pump top onces the bolts are loose. And, it doesn't take much to make a big change. Tap the pump just until you see a slight visual movement (aim for .005-.010"). Tighten back up, check effect in Vag-Com Adaptation area (it may display elsewhere, I'm just not familiar where).

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

There is a maximum amount you can adjust the IQ with Vag-Com. It only goes over a very narrow range, and you may be at one edge of it at this point. To adjust further, you need to do the "hammer mod" See here

Big Red

Veteran Member

Sorry, I've been busy for a bit here.
What value is currently in your system and what value are you attempting to change it too? Possibly you are pinned angainst the upper or lower bound. Otherwise I have no idea.