Nice Car's response to peterdaniels accusations

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Mr. Alicki is also known to buy these cars and mark them up considerably but neglect to mention the problems with them, which is why he got them cheaper than usual in the first place. Do a search on here and you'll find more.

The term 'unscrupulous' comes to mind.
If it walks like a duck :rolleyes:
After all of the reading, it seems like the two work together to me. They're both experts on these cars but have no clue about VIN: plates/stampings or stickers in the trunk or door-jam. Yeah Right!!! :rolleyes:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
No action?

Several threads, with teasers no less. The "boy have we got a story for you" attitude. Name calling and accusations of fraud.

Seriously?

I'm not taking sides, just trying to be objective. This is looking like a bad reality show. (Is there a good one? I've never watched one.)

This one's pretty good, actually!

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Alicki lives in north Raleigh and Prothe lives in south Charlotte.
I'm annoyed that Alicki is so close to me that he seems to grab all the cheap TDIs before I can get my hands on them to fix them (actually fix them).

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Alicki lives in north Raleigh and Prothe lives in south Charlotte.
I'm annoyed that Alicki is so close to me that he seems to grab all the cheap TDIs before I can get my hands on them to fix them (actually fix them).
Interesting satement.
Where were you when I listed this one? He bought this and both of them (supposedly father/son) flew to Boston to pick it up. I wouldh've prefered to have a club member or someone who would fix it right get it as apposed to someone who would dump it as is on an unsuspecting TDI Newby. Full discloser is how I roll.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348948

Last edited:

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Interesting satement.
Where were you when I listed this one? He bought this and both of them (supposedly father/son) flew to Boston to pick it up. I wouldh've prefered to have a club member or someone who would fix it right get it as apposed to someone who would dump it as is on an unsuspecting TDI Newby. Full discloser is how I roll.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348948
I wasn't hanging out on the forums then and I'm only looking in the local area (2 hours away or so).

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
im still waiting for the results of the "investigation" and an answer to my questions " Forrest" or cant you see because of the trees?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
"Forrest"
The white 1997 B4V is in fact a salvaged vehicle. It was involved in an accident in NC by Robert Aliciki. The airbags were deployed, front hood, both front fenders, windshield, front grill and lights were all damaged as well as the rear quarter ( drivers) dented because it got sandwiched in a 4 car accident.
Mr. Alicki said he sold it to you because of heavy damage otherwise he would have kept it as it is a rare 1997 wagon with decent mileage
The ONLY reason its not salvaged is because you bought it with a "clean" title in NC before the insurance company could or was notified. Mr. Alicki says he wasn't going to notify the insurance company. Therefore it looks like a perfectly clean title.
You have not responded to any of the accusations or facts that have been presented. Why not?
I'm waiting for an answer.
In Ohio, a car is totaled when an insurance company decides (note: when the insurance company decides, not when you or anyone else decides) that the cost to fix a car exceeds what the market value of that car is determined. If there is no insurance claim, then it is not totaled and thus not salvage ..... in Ohio. There are plenty of instances where, for whatever reason (no insurance, liability insurance, private settlement) that a car that is whacked hard, has a regular title. Likewise, there is no law that requires that I have my insurance company make that determination (ie I decide not to submit a claim).

What this all means is that if I throw the car back together with parts at my cost, my title is not salvage, and auto reporting will not show anything. The different VIN is a different story and tells me that an amateur did the work. In any event when the car changes hands a few times and after a few unsuspecting owners it is like it never even happened.

You are not going to find many virgins at the Roman Baths and it amazes me how many people think otherwise. You buy from Craplist, ebagged or Vortex (broken, the story of sold on Vortex) and you should expect a little visit to the Doctor. If you are going to venture into the Roman Baths, my advice is to sit back, relax and don't complain, the itching and the redness is just part of the experience you paid for ........

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
A car that is 16 years old, has both airbags deployed, hood, both fenders, both headlights, radiator grill, driving lights and front bumper damaged is damaged to the extent that the spirit of the word salvaged applies. Meaning that the damage is significant enough to cast doubt on the structural integrity AND safety of the car.

Of course not all cars deserve a "salvage" title. My 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback was deemed a salvage by the insurance company because of a rear bumper cover that was knocked off. That's it. It needed a new cover, painted and installed.

The word salvaged in most people's mind brings up images of severe damage and rightfully so. Around here we have craplisters posting late model cars such as a 2006 model that has a salvaged title because of "minor" damage or a "low speed accident". Those things don't go hand in hand with late model vehicles because the value is still high enough that the damage would have had to have been substantial. They just made it look good with some smoke and mirrors. In the above cases, omission of a salvage title being applied ( the '97 wagon) is just as grievous as the one that WAS applied ( the '96 Subaru)

NOT telling someone the truth about severe damage compromises the safety of the vehicle and places that new owner and their cargo in harms way. Not having it on the title and intentionally buying it that way AND selling it without disclosing is Fraud.

Definition of FRAUD

a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat
b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
See fraud defined for English-language learners »
See fraud defined for kids »

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
A car that is 16 years old, has both airbags deployed, hood, both fenders, both headlights, radiator grill, driving lights and front bumper damaged is damaged to the extent that the spirit of the word salvaged applies. Meaning that the damage is significant enough to cast doubt on the structural integrity AND safety of the car.

Of course not all cars deserve a "salvage" title. My 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback was deemed a salvage by the insurance company because of a rear bumper cover that was knocked off. That's it. It needed a new cover, painted and installed.

The word salvaged in most people's mind brings up images of severe damage and rightfully so. Around here we have craplisters posting late model cars such as a 2006 model that has a salvaged title because of "minor" damage or a "low speed accident". Those things don't go hand in hand with late model vehicles because the value is still high enough that the damage would have had to have been substantial. They just made it look good with some smoke and mirrors. In the above cases, omission of a salvage title being applied ( the '97 wagon) is just as grievous as the one that WAS applied ( the '96 Subaru)

NOT telling someone the truth about severe damage compromises the safety of the vehicle and places that new owner and their cargo in harms way. Not having it on the title and intentionally buying it that way AND selling it without disclosing is Fraud.

Definition of FRAUD

a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat
b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
See fraud defined for English-language learners »
See fraud defined for kids »

The "spirit" or "what it should be" has no application for the Roman Baths. If you get the proverbial Reach Around in there, good luck complaining to Ceasar. What Ceasar will do about it is often times not any better, will cost you more money and more time (you might even get a bigger rash :eek: ). My advice is simply to stay off of those forums, you might miss a great deal, but you also probably will miss some of the really bad things that go on in the used car market. Fools go where Angels Fear to tread .............

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The trunk trim code decal was also missing (mine):
You drove the car for a year and a half and didn't notice that the trim decal was missing?
I'm not defending or accusing anyone here, simply (hopefully) trying to add some signal to the noise. My Golf is missing the same trunk decal as it wasn't properly PDI'd at the stealership when I bought it. Haven't bothered to get a replacement because I frankly don't care - and I still have the original Monroney sticker and all other documents from when I drove it off the lot 7 years ago.

There's a reason why the trim decal may not be there but the absence of legally-required VIN stickers is an obvious red flag and good reason to head for zee hills.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I'm not defending or accusing anyone here, simply (hopefully) trying to add some signal to the noise. My Golf is missing the same trunk decal as it wasn't properly PDI'd at the stealership when I bought it. Haven't bothered to get a replacement because I frankly don't care - and I still have the original Monroney sticker and all other documents from when I drove it off the lot 7 years ago.
There's a reason why the trim decal may not be there but the absence of legally-required VIN stickers is an obvious red flag and good reason to head for zee hills.
My trunk decal was ripped up and about to die to I just pulled it and cleaned teh trunk. Lower b-pillar one is in perfect shape.

Skeej760

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Wolfsburg Passat TDI B4 1Zwagon
Me too- thanks for the education on VIN locations

Heh- inspired me too!

Did not know that about the VIN on the cowl, so thanks for the tip Abacus.
Easy to get at: just lift the weather stripping that covers the lip of the cowl, at about the right side of the plastic cover over the cabin air filter.

PS: concur with others- its a 17 year old car, and the maintenance does add up, especially since parts are getting harder to come by.
At some point, the money you put in is not going to be recovered by the savings in gas, if you pay too much up front, and you dont learn to do some of the work yourself, and visit junkyards or websites for parts.

Having said that, speaking as a newb on this car who bought it for the same reason as peterdaniel, to keep for ever, and having gone thru a similar learning curve on another "older" VW (1973 Pinzgauer) I REALLY appreciate all the wisdom and camaraderie shared here, and that alone makes having this car special, learning "how-to".

Does anyone check VINs anymore, (or have industry professionals chucked the term "VIN" for the more automobile-specific "serial number") ? This soap opera actually inspired me to rise from my chair, get a flashlight, and look for the VIN on my own B4. Within 2 minutes, I found a sticker on the B pillar, a metal tag riveted to the dash (the hardest one to find -- i had to wipe fog off the windshield), and after popping the hood, found a 3rd one visible through a clear plastic window near the ECU. No tools were required to perform this check. And bytheway, I did the same search when I bought the car, even though "several thousand dollars" were not at stake, and I had no reason to doubt the seller's honesty or niceness.

I can't keep track of how many dealers and auctioneers passed this hot potato around, with none of them catching the VIN mismatch. But anyone who thinks "the police" are going to open an investigation and burn one powdered donut hole's calories to catch the criminal mastermind behind this scam, is smoking something recently decriminalized in his State.

I was also surprised to see this story played out this far, as I thought Peter had earlier posted his decision to -not- travel to Bellingham, or even try to find a B4.

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Peter; thanks for doing something kind of crazy and posting about it. Seriously, I resepct the hell out of that. I think most of us have read the n-cars website and simultainiously drooled and raised a skeptical eyebrow or two. It's nice to have someone go test the thing a little and post about their experience.
The thing that's always struck me is the voluminous writing the guy from n-cars does. He overwrites/overshares on his website as well. Like a shady used car salesmen, I've often thought.
People that tell the truth do so concisely. Post the email n-cars sent to Florida inquiring about the discrepancy in the vin's. Post the case number the cops there assigned when they started looking into the case. Post anything, Anything, to corroborate your story n-cars.
The only thing we really have right now is an over explained post about a shady car, n-cars was trying to sell, and then a follow up post saying that they were taking action in finding out about its origins. Provide one iota of proof, I say. I'd be willing to bet they can't.
When I read the op n-cars opening to this whole thread I was struck at how long it was. People that are lying talk too much, talk in circles, and try to discredit or focus suspicion elsewhere (I've had some training in spotting when people are lying). N-cars opening of this thread fits that description perfectly.
This guy has been in and out of business over the years. There have been at least half a dozen stories of epic failures of his cars on this website, and others. Seems like whoever buys a car from him at this point deserves the car they get. It also seems like the opitomie of sleaze to hype something up like n-cars does and then not follow through and have super shady cars like this for sale. N-cars is the victim here; yea right.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
Very interesting thread. I found it by looking up info on a guy selling a tdi in raleigh, rob (alecki) I think, as it has the same phone number as a previous posting about someone reselling an oil burning passat.
I got a little freaked out, as I bought my white jetta wagon from a dealer/mechanic in Charlotte. I went out last night and checked my vins. Good news is they all matched!

pvapollo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetlesold, 98 Jetta AHU, 96 Dodge Cummins 5.9 TDI
I too must say I found this entire thread full of information and has raised my level of awareness. It could have been any used car or new car dealer that had this car for sale. It also could have been any buyer...even myself. Kudos for PD and NC for pursuing their interests and concerns. I just sold a 1998 NB with 235k, now I hope that's what it had. Earlier in the year I bought a 98 Jetta with 285k??? and pretty sure it was all there. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll be looking for the cowl VIN and see if it matches...I think it will.As a smog technician in Ca. I look at the dash VIN and if not readable (some Toyotas) I look at the door sill. I never had a DMV person look at a VIN though some insurance agents got in there and dug hard...Good luck to all and thanks again, Scott (real name)

Forrest Fritz

TDI
B4
Greetings Forrest Barlow aka Forrest Fritz aka Maxwell Dreaver who works for or "owns" rather Nice Cars aka NICE CARS CO aka Nice Cars TDI's aka Fastlane Fleet aka Fritz German.

Greetings Members of ClubTDI.

I have come here to tell you all the real story behind the scenes of what really goes on at NICE CARS TDI's. This is going to be kind of long so I'll have to come back and update as I have a lot going on right now. I can't stand seeing these threads pop up around the internet and need to spell this whole thing out for anyone who may be a victim of the same scam that started this whole thread.

First off, whats up with all the AKA's in my OP? Easy. Forrest goes by a number of different names and has for many years. Here's a dirty little secret, he's on this board right now, under a handful of usernames, usually pretending to be a happy customer. A quick search of social media turns up nothing. Why? Its easier to avoid getting caught if your name changes every other year.

Kind of the same theme with the name of their "company". People can't sue a company that no longer exist right? Every other year or so Nice Cars becomes a new company. New name, new owner, new business license etc. Except they are all the same people involved in the scheme using legally changed names to pass the business back and forth and avoid fallout from taking people to the cleaners.

Don't let Forrest play the victim. Forrest talks a great game about getting the police involved, but provides no proof other than a copy of an original title. No case number, no police report, nothing. He won't ever defend himself or his company when asked to provide further proof because defending yourself makes you look guilty.

Forrest has in fact been fined before for selling salvage vehicles undeclared. WA attorney general should be able to provide further information if you're so inclined to look.

Forrest says he was a victim of fraud. The only victims here are the poor suckers that bought B4v's at hugely inflated prices.

Someone know rather well was "employed" there. I'll keep it vague so as not to cause him any drama, and vague it is since mechanics last about 4 months there as they realize what's going on and have a conscience.

According to him, and you can take it as it is,NICE CARS have done the following;

Sold salvage cars as clean title cars
Sold flood damaged cars as cars that were in a "fender bender"
Sold cars with odometers that have been rolled back using vag-com
Sold cars that were structurally unsafe due to hidden frame damage
Sold cars that were structurally unsafe due to extensive rust
Sold cars that had had vins swapped and removed from door jambs

Prove that you have taken this to the police. Provide a case number. A detective we can call. A copy of a police report. Anything. You won't. You'll wait quietly until all the hubbub dies down, and this thread disappears into the archives while you wait for your next victim.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can't roll the odometer back with VCDS, and it's not possible to roll the odometer back on a B4 over the OBD port. It is easy to roll the odometer back on the Mk4 though using other tools.

-J

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Ohhhhh wicked irony!
So.... I bought my first b4v tdi 3+\- years ago not really knowing a whole lot about what I was getting into, other than I liked the gas mileage and the wagon. Since then I've learned a ton; maintenance, mods... a lot.
In my readings, converting glx's to tdi's, making my 1.7na Vanagon into a mean idi, and in general dealing with a lot of folks through buying parts and talking shop, I've come to have some opinions through my experiences. Above a few threads I shared one about the company referenced in this thread.
Well today I was organizing my paperwork for my b4v's (I have three of them now... Kind of embarrassing), and I came across the bill of sale from the PO. He bought it from nc!!! I redacted his name and other important info below, but hahahahaha. Joke is on me! Can't believe he paid over 5k for this thing! It had somewhere near 250k from what I can tell from the service records. Right after he bought it, it needed a ton of work; wheel bearings, oil pan seal, new turbo, the list went on and on. It's in okay shape, but nothing special. Glad I got it when I did. 3 years, and all I've done is change the oil and put diesel in it a couple of times.
Anyway, had to share. Now I'm going to go check all the vin #'s on every part of the car. I'll report back if I find anything ;).

Forrest Fritz

TDI
B4
It is easy to roll the odometer back on the Mk4 though using other tools.

-J
Yes, they don't sell TDI's exclusively.

Where's Forrest with an update?
Where's that case number?
What a piece of work.

Anyone feel like following up with the Whatcom County Sherriff or WA DMV?

I feel for anyone who gets scammed by these clowns. Showed this thread to my friend. He just shook his head. This type of stuff is why he left.

Nice Cars TDI's Scam Nice Cars Bellingham WA rip off CARS BELLINGHAM Forrest Barlow Forrest Fritz VW TDI Bellingham Washington TDI B4V Nice Cars TDI Bellingham WA Bellingham WA TDI Nice Cars Nicecarstdis.com NICECARSTDIS.com Scam

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
http://national.citysearch.com/profile/37040668/bellingham_wa/nice_cars.html

My husband and I recently bought a car from Bob's Nice Cars on the Guide Meridian. The clutch needed to be replaced, so Bob said he would have his mechanics replace it before we bought it. The clutch job took about twice as long as he said it would, and the car made screeching noises after the clutch job, but he assured us that all was well, and we got a decent price on it, so we took it home. All was well, or so we thought.

We ended up taking the car to another mechanic to have him take a look at it, and it was as if we had opened Pandora's box. Here are a few of the issues we encountered:

-The engine block was cracked, so we ended up having to completely replace the engine

-The thermostat was MISSING

-There was break fluid in the coolant system

-Both front boots were torn (when the engine was removed for the clutch job) and needed to be replaced

-Multiple bolts were missing and had to be ordered and replaced

Bob was unsympathetic to our problems since we had already taken the car to another mechanic. You can understand WHY we did not want to take the car back to him to have it worked on. We spent several thousand dollars having these problems fixed.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You laugh, but back when I was looking at TDI's, I came across an A3 that the current owner had removed the radiator completely and just routed the hoses to one another.

He claimed they were so efficient they never heated up and didn't need all the extra weight.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You laugh, but back when I was looking at TDI's, I came across an A3 that the current owner had removed the radiator completely and just routed the hoses to one another.

He claimed they were so efficient they never heated up and didn't need all the extra weight.
I bet if you had the heater cranked and ran in the winter only you would be fine. :D

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
-There was break fluid in the coolant system

How does one determine this??? Im thinking this was thrown in for pure amusement. And just to ad to a list.
I was just gonna ask this also. Did they send a sample to a lab or something? Also, maybe this person should contact a local lawyer or something!