Effects of battery removal on 2009 jetta

Professor121

TDI
2009 jetta
In deciding to remove the battery and battery tray to replace the dsg oil filter I found out what is reset in the computer. There appears to be three things that power loss causes in the car.

1) the steering light is lit, the esp indicator is on solid, and the brake light is on. To remedy that, I had to turn the steering wheel hard left, then hard right, then center. When I did that (in my case) the indicator lights cleared.

2) the windows had to be run down and the buttons held for one second, then the window were run up. This did the "window reset" .

3) The last problem did not show up until I tried to play my ipod through the Aux. input. I discovered that pressing the CD button did not put the radio into aux. in. This turned out to be the hardest problem to solve.

Fortunately, when I bought my vcds cable I did a full diagnostic scan and stored it in the log file right away, thinking I would look through the file later (out of curiousity). When I ran the diagnostic on the radio using vagcom, I found 5 faults.

00870 - bass speaker front left (r21) 011-open circuit
00871 - bass speaker front right (r23) 011-open circuit
00872 - bass speaker rear left (r15) 011-open circuit
00873 - bass speaker rear right (r17) 011-open circuit
00003 - control module 014-defective.

By comparing the software coding from when I first had the car with no faults my coding was 0010011.
After the battery was back in the car, the coding was 0010400.

Hope this helps out anyone who plans on replacing their battery . . .:cool:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
For those in areas where you have to pass emissions inspections:

Next time you have to remove the battery also check OBDII readiness in the engine module.

Normally removing the battery clears OBDII readiness - not an issue for most, but if you are in a state with a manditory emissions inspection and it's coming up, you might not pass unless you drive the car for a while to set OBDII readiness. In Illinois you don't get a fail, you just get a slip that says "Not Ready" and you have to waste another 45 minutes coming back. Fortunately, this only applies to gassers, but I know other states check diesels.

Professor121

TDI
2009 jetta
For those in areas where you have to pass emissions inspections:

Next time you have to remove the battery also check OBDII readiness in the engine module.

Normally removing the battery clears OBDII readiness - not an issue for most, but if you are in a state with a manditory emissions inspection and it's coming up, you might not pass unless you drive the car for a while to set OBDII readiness. In Illinois you don't get a fail, you just get a slip that says "Not Ready" and you have to waste another 45 minutes coming back. Fortunately, this only applies to gassers, but I know other states check diesels.
I forgot about that, but since I drive an hour to work each day it probably self cleared automatically. Also, I was reading about battery drain issues by the radio if there are faults not cleared. I do not know if that affected me, because of a fairly good battery and I drive the car a couple of hours each day . . . or I got lucky :p

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
OP:
did you manage to clear the "00003 - control module 014-defective." code?

I also have the same one after removing my battery but it comes back right after I clear it. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Professor121

TDI
2009 jetta
OP:
did you manage to clear the "00003 - control module 014-defective." code?

I also have the same one after removing my battery but it comes back right after I clear it. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Yes, recoding the radio correctly cleared all 5 of my faults.
I had the same issue. Everytime I cleared my faults they would come back. It wasnt until I recoded that the faults automatically cleared.:)

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unfortunately I don't know what my original coding was.
At the moment it is 0020200 and I don't have any speakers in rear doors.. Confused..

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Wow, when I removed my battery the only thing I got was a steering wheel light. It went away before I hit the end of my driveway for a test-drive.

I never experienced window or radio problems at all. This is odd.

KirbDog

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
3) The last problem did not show up until I tried to play my ipod through the Aux. input. I discovered that pressing the CD button did not put the radio into aux. in. This turned out to be the hardest problem to solve.
No wonder my Aux Input doesn't work anymore!......not that I use it.

Is there any way to fix this without VAGCOM?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
No wonder my Aux Input doesn't work anymore!......not that I use it.

Is there any way to fix this without VAGCOM?
I've seen this a number of times and unfortunately the radio will need to be recoded. There's no other way to fix it, and it's a really bizzare behavior to begin with.

Professor121

TDI
2009 jetta
I agree with dzcad90. You not only have to have vagcom (vcds) but you need to know what your radio software (soft) code is. Other than that, I would have had to give up (declare I was beaten) and go to the dealership with the hope of bribing a technician. That failing, have the dealership recode the radio.

Tnsee894

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Prem
I just replaced my battery, the steering light and traction light both came on but turned off after driving 200-300 yds. But when I shut the engine down the cooling fans come on and wont shut down. The engine temp is good. cant figure it... Did I smoke a sensor when I jumped it off???? Any ideas?

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
When I changed my DSG fluid, I also removed the battey. I did not have any issues as described in post #1.

I did notice that a few lights on the instrument cluster were illuminated but after I buttoned everything up, restarted, and took my car for a drive, the lights went off almost immediately.

Tonight, I also checked whether the aux. input was working and it worked fine.

So, I don't know why some have the issue and others don't. Did you happen to touch the positive and negative cables together when they were disconnected?

KirbDog

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
...I don't know why some have the issue and others don't. Did you happen to touch the positive and negative cables together when they were disconnected?
When I disconnected my battery (way back in the summer time) I did not touch the cables together, but I did get the "steering wheel" light, the screwed-up windows, and the Aux Input failure. The Steering Wheel light gave me the willies for a second until I turned the steering wheel through its full range of motion.......pure intuition told me to do that!

I didn't fix (or rather, know how to fix) the disabled auto up/down feature of the windows until someone else posted the solution on the forum.

I didn't even realize the disabled Aux Input was a result of disconnecting the battery until this thread.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tried recoding my radio with various combinations of soft coding (some won't even commit) but still could not get rid of the 'defective module' fault code :(

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
Why don't you use one of those battery back up devices that use the cigerette lighter socket?

Saves a lot of hassle. I've used one before when i didn't know the code for my radio. Saves loads of hassle aswell.

Suppose it only works on cars which have a permanent live on the fag lighter though.

arkadi

Had to change battery as original died. Now got engine warning light on. I already did 150 Km (in hopes that it would clear on it's own) after change and it is still on. Don't have VAG-com to check what is the problem. Any one in Toronto (North central) with a tool to check? Looks like VAG-Com list on front page is down for a while now. I need to do emission test soon. Anyone can help? :confused:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you try the coding I used and posted?
Maybe an email to ross-tech support may help . . .:confused:
Yes, I have.

And Ross-Tech says to live with the code if everything else is fine.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Why are you guys pulling your battery to change the DSG filter, you can change the filter w/o pulling the battery/tray..I have done a few now of the 09's..And several of the BRM's...

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
So is there any way to do this without a VAG com or going to the dealership?
My Aux is gone!

arkadi

Had to change battery as original died. Now got engine warning light on. I already did 150 Km (in hopes that it would clear on it's own) after change and it is still on. Don't have VAG-com to check what is the problem. Any one in Toronto (North central) with a tool to check? Looks like VAG-Com list on front page is down for a while now. I need to do emission test soon. Anyone can help? :confused:
Just in case any one was interested. Error was for burned out glow plug. No idea why this appeared after battery was changed. 15 minutes of work and no more error.;)

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
I can get access to a vagcom hopefully.

Are there any good step by step directions on what I need to do?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Mach 1,

there is no way I could get the DSG filter out without pulling the battery tray.

09 DSG wagon. not sure if the sedan might be easier.

chops_555

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6spd manual Build date: 09/08
I recently did this as well, and every time I turn on my car I get an "Airbag fault" message on my display, along with the airbag light on. Another problem I have had is while I did do the window reset, the drivers side front window won't automatically roll up, while the rest of them do. Any suggestions?

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Meerschn, I have done all types now, with the customer watching, there is at least 2 other ways to get the filter out w/o pulling the battery tray...

Disconnecting the battery on a high tech car is different then on old style car of the past...

When the battery circuitry is interrupted, it spikes the heck out of the electronics...

Look at it this way, if the electronics are going to fail(or cause them to fail)it will be when the electronics are powered on/powered off..In the world of electronics--this is called cycling failure..Ask me how I know..

I have worked in a PCB shop for 15 years and now as a repair tech in a Semiconductor company for ~20 years..You want to minimize 'spiking' the electronics...FWIW

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
I just replaced my battery, the steering light and traction light both came on but turned off after driving 200-300 yds. But when I shut the engine down the cooling fans come on and wont shut down. The engine temp is good. cant figure it... Did I smoke a sensor when I jumped it off???? Any ideas?
If you turned off the car and the fans sounded something like a jet engine you might have caught your car in the process of a re-gen for the Diesel Particular Filter (DPF)

NickJ85

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan (Manual)
Has anyone experienced the AUX input going after resting the check engine codes? I had a clip break on my hydraulic line and lost my clutch a few months ago. After I had it repaired the AUX input no longer worked. I am not sure if they removed the battery for the work but I do know that they cleared my codes as I had a check engine light that was going on and off (turned out to be the exhaust flap but that's another story).

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009

Fortunately, when I bought my vcds cable I did a full diagnostic scan and stored it in the log file right away, thinking I would look through the file later (out of curiousity). When I ran the diagnostic on the radio using vagcom, I found 5 faults.
Does this apply to a stock plain jane kind of radio?

Greengineer

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6-spd manual
AUX input disabled in Premium 7...solved

When I ran the diagnostic on the radio using vagcom, I found 5 faults.
00870 - bass speaker front left (r21) 011-open circuit
00871 - bass speaker front right (r23) 011-open circuit
00872 - bass speaker rear left (r15) 011-open circuit
00873 - bass speaker rear right (r17) 011-open circuit
00003 - control module 014-defective.
By comparing the software coding from when I first had the car with no faults my coding was 0010011.
After the battery was back in the car, the coding was 0010400.
Hope this helps out anyone who plans on replacing their battery . . .:cool:
I had my radio replaced under warranty a few months back due to a CD changer hardware issue. I didn't even think to check the AUX in until today and noticed it didn't work. I checked my radio code and it was likewise 0010400. I changed it to 0010021 and it now works. The last digit is the one that fixed the AUX.

Thanks for this helpful post! :D