www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old September 19th, 2004, 20:05   #16
jansjetta

Fuel Economy: avg
Default Avatars & signatures

This notice pushed me to get my avatar working. Only a year and a half later.....
jansjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 20:51   #17
XRailroader

Fuel Economy: 54 max 49 min

Just read all this thread and still no explanation on what a avatar is.

Could someone PLEASE explain?

Thank You
XRailroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 21:11   #18
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

Quote:
Read again.

Quote:
what's an "avatar" ?

I'm guess it's the waving UK flag on my posts.

Quote:
Yes. Right on that one.

tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:41   #19
TigBounce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200/1000/800

Quote:

Could someone PLEASE explain?

Thank You
Actually, if you had clicked on the link to the "Original Tips", the first line explains what an avatar is. For times sake, I have copied it for you...

"A few tips for those using avatars ("URL to your picture" in your Preferences)."
TigBounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 13:58   #20
Sappington
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's Fred's TDI-CLUB website and he's very correct in keeping politics out of it!
It's all about TDI's and has absolutely nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans.[/b]</font>
It is Fred's site and I agree he can do whatever he wants. In regards to your second statement: politics has everything to do with whether or not you're allowed to drive a DIESEL in the USA.

Quote:
Fred,

For some reason, my signature hasn't worked in a while. I've sent you PM about this before, but didn't get a response.

Basically, when the message goes into preview, the sig text gets appened to the end of the message directly, with no seperation line. When the message is saved, the sig doesn't appear in the message.

Any solution to this?

Jason
I have the same problem. I PMed about it a long time ago and it was fixed, but only for a while before it "broke" again. So, now I just always include my sig. No biggie....
Sappington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 18:50   #21
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Keep in mind folks that this is an INTERNATIONAL TDI site, and moreover, it's hosted in Canada. I think there are better places to discuss politics, EXCEPT as directly related to diesels. Generalized Bush vs. Kerry or Martin vs. Harper vs. Duceppe vs. Layton, or Blair vs. whomever, etc, really doesn't belong here. Fred used to host a "general" forum for that sort of thing but it got so childish and out of control that he canned it.

As for the plane in my avatar, it has a 180 hp Lycoming. There is now a diesel replacement for that engine. In fact Diamond aircraft just flew their new diesel twin 1900 n.m. across the Atlantic, NON-STOP, on 72 gallons of Jet A, at a ground speed of 150 knots. The flight was 12.5 hours long and used just under 6 gallons per hour total (just under 3 gph per engine!). This is an amazing feat, my Lycoming would burn about 10.5 gals/hr at the same speed, or 9.0 at reduced cruise of about 90 kots. Diesels rule in the air too! Hope I can afford one some day!
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:21   #22
texsurfer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35/?/26

I drive a TDI and a gas guzzling Suburban. Go figure...
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 18:15   #23
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
I drive a TDI and a gas guzzling Suburban. Go figure...
The law of averages I guess...
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:15   #24
Kaufmann
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hmm. Ok. But Kerry would drive a TDI and Bush would certainly drive a Lincoln Navigator.
If that is true then why does Kerry own a Suburban? Oh, that's right, it's not his truck. It's his wifes.

Kerry is rich, just like Bush. So Kerry will only drive large, luxurious vehicles. Just like Bush. And all the other rich people in America.

IIRC, Kerry drives a new Chrysler 300. Not exactly the most fuel efficient vehicle on the market.
Kaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 18:25   #25
dieselt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52,45, 40

Then why is fredb showing a political avatar??? tia...I am with the forum and TDI info...not what political beliefs you have.
dieselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 20:28   #26
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Sorry for not responding here sooner guys. If you notice any signatures or avatars, let me know, I'll deal with it. As for the signature box, I'm working on getting the next releaseof the software out, so I'll make sure that is deal with for that release.

Fred
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 17:59   #27
fredb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/43/38

Fred asked me to change mine ..
oh well
fredb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:46   #28
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hi,

Quote:
Grownup people should be able to express themselves peacefully and not in ways that attack other tdiclub members. Grownups also should be able to accept politically related statements, whether they agree with them or not. Remember reading about democracy in high school?
As stated elsewhere in this thread, this is not a place to exercise rights. I remember the same stuff happening in the GD forum when it existed. People were whining about their right to free speech. I'll use the same analogy now as I did then:

Imagine a group of people showing up to your front yard, no the city street in front of your house... "public property." They're carrying signs, banners, and pamphlets that support the candidate that you do not support. They're expressing themselves peacefully, perhaps making a driveby remark about an issue that just grates your nerves. Being a "grownup," you accept these polically related statements. But how long do you tolerate them being in your yard and/or "personal space" before asking them to leave, calling the police, or whatever your style may be?

This is Fred "house." He can make whatever rules he wants. Some agree and stay. Some disagree and stay. Some disagree and leave. All three of those decisions exercise an act of freedom. Sometimes I wish the US citizens who protest the US would exercise the right to leave.

Quote:
But then again, perhaps there are not many grownups on these boards.
Think about how people walk in crowds. They're more courteous when they encounter people (for the most part). Get behind the wheel of a car and many of these "grownups" become much less courteous. One's vehicle dehumanizes them and turns them into an object (consider the reason deer and some other animals don't run from cars until the door opens and a human pops out). Being on the Internet is the ultimate in dehumanization and anonimity. Some people act the same as they would in person. Some are total asses. That's why the GD area is gone and that's why some rules have been erected. Gee, sounds sort of like why laws are made? So thousands of different people can coexist in relative harmony?

Take Care,

Scott
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 15:05   #29
Luv My 02 TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/44

Quote:
Mass. Wine Guy "Way to the left of present-day Washington, D.C. Replant a bush in Texas."
Well is this appropriate? It is his signature.
Luv My 02 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 15:21   #30
Kaufmann
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mass. Wine Guy "Way to the left of present-day Washington, D.C. Replant a bush in Texas."
Well is this appropriate? It is his signature.
No it's not appropriate. It's obviously political. No political signatures or avatars.
Kaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote