Hiding a cable?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I wonder if there is a trick to hiding a cable between the windshield and the headliner in my Passat.

My DashCam is a very small one stuck on the windshield between the glass and the rear view mirror.

Everything works well, but I do not seem to be able to get the approximately 3/16" cable to go in between the glass and the headliner. I have a set of 4 plastic pry tools but don't have any success in hiding this cable.

My next try would be to coat the cable with contact cement to see if that would make it stay there.

Anyone have had something like this before?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
My front/rear dash-cam unit came with a rather thick cable for the front. On my car the gap between the glass and headliner is so wide I had a hard time keeping the cable tucked up. Same with the rear unit and that cable is a lot thinner.

My dash-cam did come with a handy little tool to tuck the cables under the trim and the cables are all hidden.

:)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the reply.
I may have come up with another solution. I'm going to take some clear plastic such as a water bottle and cut a 1 1/2" long x 1/2" wide strip fold it over itself with my cable in it and then see if I can somehow make the cable stay. Maybe I'll get some other bright ideas. This is before I'll try contact cement.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Have you thought about removing the visors and the overhead console so you can loosen the headliner a bit without removing it? Then, the side airbag trim comes off easily to route down thru there.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you thought about removing the visors and the overhead console so you can loosen the headliner a bit without removing it? Then, the side airbag trim comes off easily to route down thru there.
I have no trouble squeezing the cable in going up the pillar. Made some plastic clips for between the pillar and the rear view mirror. Now all I have to do is try it out on the road. Try to drive the car as little as possible due to ONLY Low Sulphur Diesel here. I'd also be reluctant to pull half the headliner apart, with my luck it'll never go back the way it was.