Which tires?

Which tires would you choose for your Passat?

• Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michelin Premier A/S

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Michelin Defender H+T

• Michelin Defender A/S

• Michelin Primacy MXM4

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Pirelli Cinturato Strada All Season

• Yokohama Avid Ascend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I tried searching as I figured this had been covered before, but I didn’t see anything applicable.

I just purchased my 2015 Passat and it came with a new set of Hankook Kinergy GT tires in the stock 215/55R17. The tires aren’t bad, they ride smooth enough and aren’t too noisy, but I’m having a vibration issue at highway speeds that I believe is tire balance. Discount tire offered $50 each credit for the Hankook if I want to replace them, or $64 to balance them. I’m looking at this as $264 in real money towards replacing the Hankook, so I’m looking at new tires.

I usually run Michelin on my truck with good results, but I want to get the best tires for the Passat rather than a specific brand.

Discount has the following that look like possibilities:
Michelin Premier A/S
Michelin Defender T+H
Michelin Defender A/S
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Pirelli Cinturato Strada All Season
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Yokohama Avid Ascend

I want a good riding quiet tire that yields good fuel economy and decent light snow traction if possible. Can you share your experiences with what works on these cars? Thanks!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
wife and I both drive 100+ miles a day 6 days a week, to the point my insurance company did not believe me that I exceed 30k yearly on 4 cars. I have experience on some tires you mentioned plus more.

Michelin Premier A/S Very soft, wear fast- but quiet and amazing traction! Plan to buy again!
Michelin Defender A/S hard rubber, noisy but last forever
Michelin Primacy MXM4 had these on my old accord, wore out fast and rather noisy-
Just tried the continental control contacts and so far I'm very impressed!
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-sport-a-s/p/19196

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well my tires are not in the "Poll".
I have four 235x55x18 General Altimax RT 43 ( Made by Continental ). Just recently installed,about 3,500 miles ago to replace the noisy factory installed junk. Quieter than the OEM and the slightly taller tires help get me over the speed bumps all over Mexico. Incidentally Continentals are also not on the list.