Oil and fuel filter, '12 vs '15

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
As I turned my '12 in and replaced it with '15, I still have '12 a spare oil and fuel filters.

Can any of these be used on '15 ? Coming up on 20K oil change

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Seeing that you had no response in almost 12 hours, I'd like to suggest you try and cross reference the filter numbers.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thats some good research you did!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta I was afraid to change the fuel filter after having read much bad about that.
I also know how hard it was to start my Volvo Diesel engine on my sailboat after a filter change.

My 2015 Passat, I read about it and it seemed dead easy. Followed destructions from the web to the letter with the exception of using PowerService instead of Diesel to top up the filter before locking it up.

Started up on the very first try!

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
My 2015 Passat, I read about it and it seemed dead easy. Followed destructions from the web to the letter with the exception of using PowerService instead of Diesel to top up the filter before locking it up.
Are you using VCDS to prime the filter? I wouldn't be at all surprised if VW tracks the frequency and count of using VCDS to run the pump to remove air from the filter and system. I wouldn't put it past them to use that as a new way to deny pump failures.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
vw runs the pump with a key cycle now, I held the filter top over a empty jar and had the wife turn the key on and holy moly- lots of fuel with that short duration! One could get away with just a few cycles on a completely empty can

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I also posted this in the fuel filter WO VDS posting and I agree with 16vjohn. I've had VW diesels sense the 1st Rabbit. Have had mostly Jettas and later year Passat TDI's, 1998 to the current 2015 Passat TDI and even though I have VDS, I have never used it when changing my fuel filter. I just fill the new filter with clean diesel, install the lid and it fires right up and runs without any issues.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Fuel filter is about an inch longer for the '15. Your shorter fuel filter can be used in the '15. In fact, I am running one in my '15 right now. I got it from my son after he sold his '13 to VW.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Fuel filter is about an inch longer for the '15. Your shorter fuel filter can be used in the '15. In fact, I am running one in my '15 right now. I got it from my son after he sold his '13 to VW.
Just because it fits in the canister doesn't mean that it is filtering anything all the fuel may be going right over the top 1" gap.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Just because it fits in the canister doesn't mean that it is filtering anything all the fuel may be going right over the top 1" gap.
Flying off the handle again even though you have no clue. The 1" difference in length is in the filter media length. The tops of both filters are identical. If you had both of them side-by-side, like I did, you wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Substituting this filter in a '15 presents no problem.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Flying off the handle again even though you have no clue. The 1" difference in length is in the filter media length. The tops of both filters are identical. If you had both of them side-by-side, like I did, you wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Substituting this filter in a '15 presents no problem.
But you didn't say that the top diameter was the same , you said the filter was 1 inch shorter. "fuel filter is about an inch longer for the '15. Your shorter fuel filter can be used in the '15."
I did not fly off the handle.

Last edited:

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone that has changed filters in these cars is aware that the filter media hangs in the canister below a lip at the top of the filter. As long as the lip area is the same there is no problem.

You made a post critical of my actions without knowing the facts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Anyone that has changed filters in these cars is aware that the filter media hangs in the canister below a lip at the top of the filter. As long as the lip area is the same there is no problem.

You made a post critical of my actions without knowing the facts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
But you didn't say that, you said it was 1" shorter and not everybody here has changed a filter and knows that the filter media hangs in the canister below the lip and all that is the appropriate length for the shorter media filter. Again I say you said the filter was 1" shorter not the media but the filter.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
filters are cheap, buy the correct one and motor on!