New 2015 TDI Jetta!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
Howdy Ya'll!
I am 7 hours in to my "new" car! I am really diggen it! My wife borrowed twice so far. I am going to get to know it better tomorrow when I have some time. I think I have all the manuals. I have a few questions though.
Are there any "hacks" that the manual doesnt mention?
What are some hang ups that go wrong with these cars that I should look for?
I will get to know the maintenance book more tomorrow but I saw a port in the trunk for Diesel Exhaust Fluid? WTH? LOL I thought I heard someone say that once and thought it was a joke, like blinker fluid. I feel I am behind the diesel curve.
I am just thrilled and would love to hear from someone who can help walk me through some of the stuff that is not so well known. OR just to talk about the car,,,I am giddy as a skool kid! I have never had something so nice.

Thanks Ya'll!

OH! its a 2015 Jetta SE TDI 13K for $17K with a bumper to bumper until 2023!
My 2004 Jetta TDI was due for a timing belt at 285K on the ticker and I just coudnt sink 1,100 bucks in to it. The car was starting to fall apart but it served me well! Thats why I went back for more.

Copedawg out!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations! Sounds like you are super happy about the car. Good luck with it.
I plan to have fun! I will keep everyone up to date with the good and the bad!
Merry Christmas!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
DEF is for real on the '15. Part of the prep for resale is to fill it up, so you shouldn't need it until your next oil change.

Enjoy the car. I have a '15 GSW I bought in April. But I'm still driving my '02 TDI Wagon, too. Like them both.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I plan to have fun! I will keep everyone up to date with the good and the bad!
From the title,at first I thought that you had found an unsold "new" 2015, which I thought were long gone. But I see it is used. These TDI's are great cars, in spite of all the political mumbo-jumbo "Dieselgate" nonsense!
The combination of both great fuel mileage and plenty of power is hard to beat. And these cars are so much more fun to drive than a "pious Prius"!
If you do your own maintenance, it's easy to change fluid and filter on the DSG (if that's what you have) after the free services are over. Just check out YouTube. There's a control valve on the A/C compressor that often fails and the dealer will soak you for $1,000 or so. The valve is available aftermarket however, for less than $100 and can be changed without even removing the compressor. Just go to an A/C shop and have them evacuate the system, go home and change the valve, then go back to have the system recharged.
Having been a mechanic for much of my working life, I'm of the opinion that a Diesel needs to be worked to keep cylinder temperatures up which burns the fuel more completely. In the '80's I was taught that one hour of idling a semi caused as much wear as two hours of pulling a load down the highway. Now with the regeneration thing, I've found that frequent full throttle runs up to the speed limit (on-ramps if you're a city dweller) cuts down the number of regens and just seems to make the car happy.
Enjoy that TDI!
Forgot to mention about urea (Diesel exhaust fluid") or "AdBlue" as VW calls it: The EPA is so fussy about it, that if you run that tank completely empty, the engine will not start until you refill the tank! You get plenty of warning lights and bells first, however.

Last edited:

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
DEF is for real on the '15. Part of the prep for resale is to fill it up, so you shouldn't need it until your next oil change.

Enjoy the car. I have a '15 GSW I bought in April. But I'm still driving my '02 TDI Wagon, too. Like them both.
Good to know! IndigoBlueWagon! Thanks!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
From the title,at first I thought that you had found an unsold "new" 2015, which I thought were long gone. But I see it is used. These TDI's are great cars, in spite of all the political mumbo-jumbo "Dieselgate" nonsense!
The combination of both great fuel mileage and plenty of power is hard to beat. And these cars are so much more fun to drive than a "pious Prius"!
If you do your own maintenance, it's easy to change fluid and filter on the DSG (if that's what you have) after the free services are over. Just check out YouTube. There's a control valve on the A/C compressor that often fails and the dealer will soak you for $1,000 or so. The valve is available aftermarket however, for less than $100 and can be changed without even removing the compressor. Just go to an A/C shop and have them evacuate the system, go home and change the valve, then go back to have the system recharged.
Having been a mechanic for much of my working life, I'm of the opinion that a Diesel needs to be worked to keep cylinder temperatures up which burns the fuel more completely. In the '80's I was taught that one hour of idling a semi caused as much wear as two hours of pulling a load down the highway. Now with the regeneration thing, I've found that frequent full throttle runs up to the speed limit (on-ramps if you're a city dweller) cuts down the number of regens and just seems to make the car happy.
Enjoy that TDI!
Forgot to mention about urea (Diesel exhaust fluid") or "AdBlue" as VW calls it: The EPA is so fussy about it, that if you run that tank completely empty, the engine will not start until you refill the tank! You get plenty of warning lights and bells first, however.
I understand the "wet stack" problem...luckily for me, I have 1 of the 2 pedals on the floor at all times! Idling and just putting around is nice and all but a good SAFE "Brisk" drive is good as well. I saw a few videos of my old car (04 Jetta TDI) where the "wet Stack" was awful. They took their whole intake off and you could see how small the ports/passages where. They took a propane/MAP gas bottle and FIRED it up! My 04 was still VERY clean as far as the breathability went.
I agree the emissions "scandal" was a scandal in itself! So the dealer "fixed it" so they could sell it. I guessed they just reflashed it (?), I dunno.
I will keep an eye on the DEF/AdBlue. IndigoBlueWagon suggested to add or service it at oil change time. I was going to change the oil filter every 5,000 miles then oil filter, oil and fuel filter at every 10,000 miles. What do you think about that (I have a 97 F-350 7.3 diesel I service with the same interval)? The car is a DSG...(that's how it was advertised. I don't know the difference between a/the DSG and whatever the other one is. I'm way behind the learning curve with this one at the moment.
Good heads up about the A/C valve. I will re-visit this page when I get to that bridge.

NOW...for the EMBARRASING question! I have to back and get the owners manual but......I have to figure this out soon...How the fudge do I open the full flap? (head bowed in shame and embarrassment). I thought I could just push on the end of the flap but it must have a release somewhere that I can't find OR I'm not pushing hard enough.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

OH!...here is a link to the car from the StealerShip (actually very good dealership...I'm just programmed to refer to as the StealerShip).

http://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/Detail/3VWLA7AJ9FM327817/USED-2015-Volkswagen-Jetta Sedan

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
On the 2015 (and maybe others), the fuel flap (door) locks when the vehicle doors are locked, and unlocks when the vehicle doors are unlocked. With the doors unlocked, push on rear end of the door and it should pop open.

I have a 2015 that I bought "new" in May 2017. Do you have any rattles or vibrations under the driver side dash? I have one or two to investigate, otherwise I really like the vehicle.

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
On the 2015 (and maybe others), the fuel flap (door) locks when the vehicle doors are locked, and unlocks when the vehicle doors are unlocked. With the doors unlocked, push on rear end of the door and it should pop open.

I have a 2015 that I bought "new" in May 2017. Do you have any rattles or vibrations under the driver side dash? I have one or two to investigate, otherwise I really like the vehicle.
Thanks! That makes perfect sense! I will try it on my next break.
I thought I heard a "ticking" type sound under the hood on passenger side but my wife and kids couldn't hear it. I will check again though. I didn't notice anything on the inside but I will listen for something on the way home today.
I am really diggen the new wheels for sure!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI

FUEL FLAP OPEN! LOL...Very embarrassing! Thank you!!!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a cable in the armrest and it fits the old iPOD well but that's about it. Is there another cable or an adaptor to fit my new iPHONE 7? (the new style mini connector)

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
There is an Apple Lighting to 30 pin adapter (MD824ZM/A) that has a short
cord. This is the one I use.

There is also an adapter that is just the 30 pin box with a Lighting adapter on the end, but that one did not work as well (Lighting plug would not say in the phone).

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
There is an Apple Lighting to 30 pin adapter (MD824ZM/A) that has a short
cord. This is the one I use.

There is also an adapter that is just the 30 pin box with a Lighting adapter on the end, but that one did not work as well (Lighting plug would not say in the phone).

I just picked the EXACT description up from the PX next door. $14.95! My phone case interferes with the plug but I will figure something out.

In the meantime, I paired my phone/blue tooth to the car so its hands free. Anybody worry about hackers with this set up? There's been lots of talk about people hacking phones through Blue Tooth. I don't know what they can get out of my phone....a bunch of girls numbers that never answer when I call....except my wife who I never have top call b/c she calls me all the time...anyway...Any Thoughts?

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! That makes perfect sense! I will try it on my next break.
I thought I heard a "ticking" type sound under the hood on passenger side but my wife and kids couldn't hear it. I will check again though. I didn't notice anything on the inside but I will listen for something on the way home today.
I am really diggen the new wheels for sure!
I did not notice any rattles/rubbing on the way home or back in to the office today....I will keep an ear out though!