Keyfob Battery Change - Problems Ensued

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Received an alert that my keyfob battery should be replaced. Did as instructed but now the car will not remote start nor will my cell phone connect. Any ideas?

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
There is an orientation on the battery, perhaps reversing the battery might bring different results.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Can you start the car using the push button and THAT key fob in your hand or pocket?
If so, the battery should be in the right way.
Maybe you somehow disabled the remote button when you had the key fob open.

Your cellphone problem is most likely the pairing has gone off. Key fob has nothing to do with that.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Thanks for this. Tackled the bluetooth issue first. Actually, turned out to be an easy fix. Turned the phone off for a minute or so and when I restarted the phone the problem was resolved.

Learned that as VW has a number of different keyfobs there are different ways to synchronize the keyfob with the car. In my case (2015 Highline) I had to pop the key cover off the handle, hold the fob close to the car and using the fob, locked the door. Within 30 seconds I had to insert the key and manually unlock the door. Thought I had the problem licked as I was finally able to remotely start the car. On trying this feature again a couple of minutes later, it didn't work. There's an obvious glitch, so I'll have the car checked by the dealer.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'll keep that in mind when our battery starts to give up the ghost in about 3-4 months.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
One more reason why I take both of my key fobs with me when I am 3,000. miles from home as I now am.