Remote Start Duration

dbs600

TDI
2017 VW Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

Anyone know how long remote start should stay on for?

(If I remote start the car, how many minutes will it stay on?)

Thank you very much!

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I set he one on my Cummins truck for 10 minutes. Mine also had an option for a delay between power and cranking to allow the grid heater to do it’s job, I set that to 15 seconds.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

Anyone know how long remote start should stay on for?

(If I remote start the car, how many minutes will it stay on?)

Thank you very much!
20 minutes, that's how long mine runs, but as we all know it shuts off when you open the door ....D'oh

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
The aftermarket unit in my truck shuts off only when I hit the brake, if I get in and put the key in the ignition it never shuts off.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
10 minutes, but you can do it again for another 10 minutes. If the fuel is below a quarter, coolant is low or check engine light is on, it will not start.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Thank you all!
So 10 minutes it is.
Car doesn't get too warm. :|

Actually it is the worst way to get heat from the engine. Start your car, let it idle for less than one minute and drive off, but not at full highway speeds. The engine will warm up quicker and you're not wasting fuel.

Opening the door shuts the engine off to prevent thefts. Also whatever your truck or Cummings does is not relevant to the VW TDI discussion!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I don't use the feature on any of my diesels, easy driving is the best way to warm em up. Our 1 mile long gravel driveway keeps the wife's speed under control :D

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I believe that the idea is to get the cabin a bit warmer/defrost the windshield so it's more pleasant when you get in? you could leave it running for an hour I believe that engine temp would not get to normal operating temperature....like ppl are saying light driving is the best way to get the engine to the operating temp....

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Also whatever your truck or Cummings does is not relevant to the VW TDI discussion!
I respectfully disagree. The original question wasn’t clear if this was OEM or aftermarket. The system on my Cummins truck is aftermarket and could also be used on a VW TDI and set up the same way. Also, they are both diesels.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I respectfully disagree. The original question wasn’t clear if this was OEM or aftermarket. The system on my Cummins truck is aftermarket and could also be used on a VW TDI and set up the same way. Also, they are both diesels.

If it was an aftermarket system, I'd hope the OP would prob state that, seeing many SELs are out and about with remote start from factory it'd be safe to assume it was OEM.

Well i guess that's what they say about assumptions ;)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
In my opinion, the only time the remote start may come in handy is when it's hot out. You can start the car and in 10 minutes the AC has cooled the car down!

Useless as boobs on a bull in the winter.

OEM, yes on the SEL and Highline models. Don't know about the lower models and even then it could be just in northern climes.

Last edited: