Mandatory accessories for new to me 2015? Which Skid plate?

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I posted a couple days ago about my newly acquired 2015 Passat 6MT. Now I’m starting to think of what mods a new car needs. I’m not new to diesels or TDI cars, so I’m familiar with proper service intervals, proper spec oil, etc. With any mods I do the biggest concern would be voiding the 11 yr 162K mile warranty. With that out of the way, what do I need to buy?

First for me is floor liners, I work in car shops and my shoes are always greasy. I like WeatherTech, but I also want to investigate the 3D MAXpider mats. On my wife’s 2013 Volvo C30 Polestar the 3D mats had much better coverage up the dead pedal and looked cleaner than my black weathertechs in the Touareg. The 3D come in a carpet or rubberized carbon fiber version, the rubberized looked proper in the Volvo. If either model came back further under the seat that would sway me.

Second is window tint and maybe some clear bra on the hood and fenders. The bumper already has some imperfections, so it can just be repainted in a few years.

Next looks to be a skid plate. Looks like potentially two options, but maybe only one. The first is the Osiris plate from Evolution, states it’s specifically for the 2015 Passat or Jetta.

https://www.evolutionimport.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A3016&CartID=1

The second is the Dieselgeek panzer plate, but it says it fits 2012-2014 passats.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/B7_Passat_Panzer_Skid_Plate_p/pp-b7p.htm

There isn’t an installed pic of the Osiris on the Evolution web site, does it cover as much as the panzer plate coming forward? Will the panzer plate even fit on the 2015 car? I want whichever one fits better with max coverage, don’t care about price difference.

What else should I be considering for a car that will see tons of highway miles? I would think a 2 micron fuel filter is a good idea, but i’d want to check on warranty first.

Thanks

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I haven't needed a skid plate yet, and iv drug my wife's Passat 2 miles home with my tractor when she calls me due to being high centered in 30" of wet snow with many fallen trees buried in the mix of snow and huge ice balls the size of shopping carts from the snowplow the week prior. no problems except one branch did get caught in the exhaust throttle. We are the only family up here that owns a 2wd rig

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'd consider VCDS essential, it only takes a minor repair for it to pay for itself.
I agree with this.

However, to the OP's original question. Both skid plate brands are very similar in terms of design and quality. Since you live in AZ, the fact that Jim (Dieselgeek) is in Texas means quick shipping if nothing else.

As for fitment on your 2015 car, an email to Jim at Dieselgeek (sales@dieselgeek.com) will answer your questions. He is excellent for product support both before and after the sale.

Have Fun!

Din

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I've had VCDS for 10+ years, easily pays for itself. My first mod was supplementing the trunk lights, another favorite is Hella supertones. Skid plate not needed unless you are lowering (don't do it). When it is time for replacements: suspension- Bilstein shocks/struts & a rear H&R bar work well, EBC for brakes & rotors.

Great commuter for me!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Skid plate not needed unless you are lowering (don't do it).
Ha ha ha ha. Tell that to all of the Volkswagen customers who have unmodified vehicles that have smashed their oil pans.

It's not just lowered cars that suffer from impacted oil pans.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Hey Bronco,
If you decide to go with the skid plate route, I have one that I had installed on my 2013 Passat. Vegas isn't all that far from Flagstaff (a tank of diesel is certainly cheaper than shipping one of these...)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5154441&postcount=6
Yeah, the pic is dead thanks to Photobucket. But if you really want a pic, I can get one for you.
Thanks for the offer on that, I need to see what fits the 2015 first. I was just in Las Vegas this week, I purchased my Passat from the dealer on Sahara.
I've had VCDS for 10+ years, easily pays for itself. My first mod was supplementing the trunk lights, another favorite is Hella supertones. Skid plate not needed unless you are lowering (don't do it). When it is time for replacements: suspension- Bilstein shocks/struts & a rear H&R bar work well, EBC for brakes & rotors.
Great commuter for me!
Can you guys recommend a decent shade tree mechanic VCDS unit? I probably know a few mechanics who are VW enthusiasts and have one I could access.
This depends a lot on where you live. My skid plate saved my oil pan at least twice, and it bears the scars to prove it.
Have Fun!
Don
I drive lots of highway and have hit a few things in the night or that we’re unavoidable in traffic. My manager totaled her Mini after striking a tire carcass and smashing the oil pan. I think the skid plate is relatively cheap insurance.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hey Bronco,

If you decide to go with the skid plate route, I have one that I had installed on my 2013 Passat. Vegas isn't all that far from Flagstaff (a tank of diesel is certainly cheaper than shipping one of these...).
2013 Passat skid plate does not fit a 2015 Passat !

You should have seen the skidplate on my 2002 Jetta TDI. I do not know how much it had saved me over the years.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
2013 Passat skid plate does not fit a 2015 Passat !
What’s different about the 2015?

I ask because the Skid plate was listed for 2012-2016 Passat.

As a matter of fact, If you go into Skid Plate Parts on DG’s site, it still does. And the OEM parts are interchangeable between the entire generation of NMS Passat.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
What’s different about the 2015?

I ask because the Skid plate was listed for 2012-2016 Passat.

As a matter of fact, If you go into Skid Plate Parts on DG’s site, it still does. And the OEM parts are interchangeable between the entire generation of NMS Passat.
All I know is when I wanted a skidplate for my 2015 some kind of adaptation was required for the plate to fit. A plate from previous model cars did/does not fit.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
From DieselGeek’s web site: Get the Peace of Mind that your 2012 through 2014 TDI Passat will last forever with our new B7 Passat Panzer Heavy Duty Skid Plate kit.
It doesn’t say anything about a 2015 or newer.

One of the front brackets is different on the 2015 according to this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5293844&postcount=1

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
From DieselGeek’s web site: Get the Peace of Mind that your 2012 through 2014 TDI Passat will last forever with our new B7 Passat Panzer Heavy Duty Skid Plate kit.
It doesn’t say anything about a 2015 or newer.

One of the front brackets is different on the 2015 according to this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5293844&postcount=1
Have yo u tried contacting Dieselgeek yet? If the 2015 does require a different bracket, I am pretty sure that Dieselgeek could supply you with the right bracket. Sometime going straight to the source can get you better information that an internet search.

Have Fun!

Don

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I sent him an email just now. I hadn’t tried to contact him yet because of the holiday.

ETA: Jim emailed me back saying that they have discontinued panzer plates for the Passat. Looks like the Evolution Osiris plate is the only option.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Instead of plunking down the coin for VCDS there is another device called ODBEleven, its a phone/android based ODB adapter.

I don't know too much about it but I believe it allows 90% the features of VCDS. I did hear coding changes cost "coins" which you have to buy, so they nickle and dime you after you have the cheap interface.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If you think a skid plate is needed, go for it. Since 1984 I have owned 8 VWs (4 of which were/are TDIs) 3 still going and have only had one skid plate. This was on a lowered mk4 Jetta. Total VW miles ~1.145 mil, no cracked pans, guess I am lucky.

Regarding Panzer plate shipping I can't remember the cost and do remember it came bare as is with a shipping label affixed. Good luck, John

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I ran over an “alligator” (truck tire chunk in the road) last night, no damage but a skid plate is necessary for me. I was 4 car lengths behind a daily pickup while passing a semi, the dually threw up the alligator as it ran it over, I couldn’t really avoid hitting it in some fashion so I put it under the right tires instead of the middle of the car.

I ordered the skid plate from Evolution on Monday.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally got around to installing the Evolution skid plate I ordered in November today. I decided to put the plastic tray on top of it figuring it would reduce noise. The passenger side bracket sat too far back once installed to line up with the skid plate, so I did some mods to move it forward. I drilled new holes to move it 7/8” forward and had to notch the front of the bracket to clear a bracket coming back from the front bumper. All in all it fits and bolted in place.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice, i also ran my stock belly pan on my Mk5 when I had my DG plate. It also helped catch my ooozing charge pipe goop.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Regarding the liners or mats, I have the VW rubber ones and they are quite sturdy but NO dead pedal coverage whatsoever. I have the tan interior and you can imagine what that spot looks like. I wish VW had offered tan seats and black carpets in these cars...

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Regarding the liners or mats, I have the VW rubber ones and they are quite sturdy but NO dead pedal coverage whatsoever. I have the tan interior and you can imagine what that spot looks like. I wish VW had offered tan seats and black carpets in these cars...
I went with the weathertech mats and made a kydex piece that secured under the dead pedal and the steering wheel trim, it perfectly covers the section of carpet between the dead pedal and the clutch.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm a big fan of clear bras. VWs paint isn't that great these days, and your car will show its age quickly, especially if it's a dark color. Get the headlights covered, too, to prevent fogging.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
don't remind me at the schist they call clear coat these days, look at it the wrong way and you can see the swirls start to develop on the Mk7.

NMS top coat seems to be on par with my older Mk5.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I had clear bra done on the hood, fenders, and door edges. The paint on my front bumper was already damaged from the previous owner, so it wasn’t worth doing.