battery died

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
So I just got back from driving our new 15 SEL from NH to WI and return a week ago. Ran great no issues. Saturday my wife drove it ~ 20 miles and parked it for about 5 hrs. Upon trying to start it she saw a "no key in range" message. I brought the spare key and got the same results. Had it towed to the dealer.

The dealer replaced the battery and all is well again. They claimed they drove the car monthly during the period it couldn't be sold and kept the battery charged as well as load testing it prior to delivery. I'm not sure that they load tested it but we'll never know for sure.

The battery in the 13 we sold back to VW lasted almost 4 years with no issues.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Hope you didn't have to pay for the new battery. If I were to buy one of the 2015s that had sat around (and that's exactly what I would assume), part of the deal would be a brand new battery.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Brand new battery went in ours. Even thou the OP drove fine for the first few months, the age of the battery doesn't change with periodic driving.

Some batteries fail for some odd reasons.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
These engines are hard on marginal batteries. Sure it may read ok but it may still not have enough power for the day to day operations.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
No cost for towing or the new battery, just the inconvenience of driving 20 miles to bring the spare key, calling and waiting for a tow on a rainy Sat afternoon, in our eGolf. The eGolf is great, keeping the windows clear during the rain waiting for the tow. Then driving 55 miles to the dealer we bought it from, our closest, to pick it up yesterday morning. They had it ready in 2 hrs on a Monday AM. The drive over was really OK as it was in nice day for a ride in our 95 MX5 with the top down.

I'm just glad it didn't happen on the trip across Ontario. Also just checked our pre-delivery paperwork and it stated "performed battery test, passed after charging"

moral of the story, if you get a "no key in range" message check the batteries, car and fob.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I suspect at some point the battery was fully depleted. My experience with any battery that has been fully drained is that it will be unreliable.
Glad they took care of you. (I also suspect you won't be the only buyer of a 2015 NMS Passat that will have this problem!)

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
I suspect at some point the battery was fully depleted. My experience with any battery that has been fully drained is that it will be unreliable.

Glad they took care of you. (I also suspect you won't be the only buyer of a 2015 NMS Passat that will have this problem!)
1. I believe that your suspicion is correct. It cost VW a lot more with the tow than if they had replaced it before delivery, not to mention our inconvenience.

2. Exactly the reason I posted to let others know of my experience.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Penny cheap pound foolish. Still glad I fought our dealer for the new battery installed, even thou it was probably the oldest battery they had sitting on the shelf.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Penny cheap pound foolish. Still glad I fought our dealer for the new battery installed, even thou it was probably the oldest battery they had sitting on the shelf.
I called VW about the NAV being out of date when we bought our 15 SEL last May. They told me to buy the latest version and show them proof of purchase and they would send us a $150 visa card. I declined at this time.

Then I mentioned about the dead battery issue we had to deal with. They are sending us a $100 visa card for the inconvenience so that helps somewhat.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
VAG/VWoA, are really trying to do the right thing. I suspect they're "keeping their fingers crossed" with these new (old!) 2015s being sold, that original tires, batteries, etc. will last past the warranted period w/o needing replacement. They've already spent a ton of money in fines/buybacks, and they've simply got to stop the hemorrhaging.
They've probably calculated the risk, and aren't replacing ALL batteries/tires/wiper blades, etc. before release.
After owning VW/Audis since 1983, MY biggest fear with these "stored" cars is the fine oxidation that builds up on mechanical electronic switches/contacts, that occurs when the switches aren't used on a regular basis. I bought a 1987 Audi 4000S that was a leftover, 15 months old (during the "Unintended Acceleration fiasco). Within the first 6 months, I had to replace every single window switch, the radiator fan (contacts corroded), sunroof motor, engine harness, battery.
Of course, modern switches/contacts are probably totally different, but my concern remains. Electrical componentry just likes to be used, unless sealed/stored in a climate controlled environment, which these cars were NOT!
My opinion, of course.
(Oh, by the way, that same '87 was still running strong, with very few repairs, with 192k miles on it, 19 years later, when I gave it to a friend's college daughter!)

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Batteries can be weird. As "740GLE" says, "Some batteries fail for some odd reasons." The other end of the spectrum can be true, too. I bought a Dodge Dakota new in 2002, and the OEM battery lasted nearly 9 years. The battery was a MoPar, of course, and I went to the dealer first, and said can I get that exact battery? No, all they sold was something else (not MoPar). So I put an Interstate in, since I've had excellent results over the years with that brand, and did a little researching. What I discovered with lead-acid batteries is that there is definite correlation between price and performance, but even in the expensive batteries, there are some that just fail prematurely for no reason, and a small number that significantly outlive their life expectancy. We naturally hope to get one of the latter.
Re: the battery in our Passat, it's still the OEM, and even though it was drained to a "no start" condition by inadvertently leaving the lights on when it was about two years old, it's over 4 years old now and still going strong. I peeled off the labels a year ago and inspected the cells. All were fine except one that was down (but not exposing the plates). I topped it up with distilled water, and it's still doing fine.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Heat and vibration are major killers of battery's then add in the huge draw they have on them when started its amazing such a small single battery setup works- These cars have WAY more draw than my Dodge Cummins that has 2 huge group 65 batteries in it.
Glow plugs, ad blue heater, electric steering, cabin grid heater, heated seats, rear defroster, headlights, heater mirrors, the starter motor itself, ect

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yeaj, but once running, the alternator is powering that stuff . . the battery is either charging or floating. And you can't seriously claim that the start on the 2.0l TDI with glow plugs takes less power than a 6.7l Cummins with it's substantial grid heater . . . (PS Didn't not your Cummins is pretty ancient . . . compare to a *recent* Cummins please. I still bet yours pills more to start, though . . .)

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
My decades of experience with automotive lead-acid batteries:
- last the longest when used daily
- repeatedly not used for days/weeks severely shortens life
- common failure: after very old battery charged for hundreds of miles on a single trip

Dunno why they give up the ghost after long trips, but twice I had to replace an old battery while traveling on vacation.

Anyone who self-maintains multiple vehicles will find this of great value:
(I love this thing, tests both battery and alternator)

Solar BA9

Short Demo Video

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think the long trip on an old battery may be a vibration failure. As batteries age, the plates and support structures weaken and degrade. When they fail, you get catastrophic failure, and vibration aggravates the issue.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Here's a kicker...

Our 2004 RAM 250 Diesel? Original batteries. Our 2003 Kubota tractor? Same. No special care for either. Our son's Honda CRV? It eats batteries for lunch. All three Passats (2013 & two 2014's)? Never a glitch.

Go figure.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I had a conventional battery's plates fail on my old 1985 golf diesel, never seen so many crazy problems with lights, wipers and even the dome light going crazy- all on a NON COMPUTERIZED CAR yet alone a modern rig- when they go it can be quite interesting.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
So, what battery is everyone putting in their car? A VW/dealer installed battery? My 2015 needed "encouragement" to start this morning and it was only 40 degrees. I'm expecting much colder temperatures soon and look to go ahead and replace it. I favor Interstate batteries as I have a distribution center near me and they are usually discounted 5-10% if I pick one up and add the acid to them myself (in the case of my motorcycle batteries.) I usually buy the most CC amps I can fit in the vehicle, just because. Interstate does not list an available battery on their website. Any guidance is appreciated.

Drive safe.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
H8 agm

purchased it last week from Advanced Auto Parts.. they had 30% off online order with in-store pickup, $153.42 (OTD) after core returned.

Dealer had it for $146.81 (OTD). but for $6 extra AAP one was obvious choice it's AGM with higher reserve capacity (160 min). also it's rated 95Ah Vs Dealer's 72Ah. if reserved min divided by (2) it still rated 80Ah. higher than dealer's Ah.Dealer's was VW branded interstate lead acid.

H8-AGM is slight bigger than OEM but have to dremel out small notches of the holding tray.

Edit: H8 did not fit so ended up returning to AAP their H7 was very expensive so bought H7 from Sam's club for $157.74 (OTD). H7 which is 94R group. it's still little bigger than dealer's one.

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I wuz talking with a Bud, who retired from Boeing. He spent his career all over the World--to whomever Boeing sold a plane--and his comment re batteries--after extensive testing, was it was hot temperatures (desert type, Arizona type) that kills batteries. Cold climate batteries can last far longer than their expected service life.