Resetting AdBlue Countdown

kenshepherd

TDI
2014 Passat
I am looking to sell back my 2014 Passat TDI to VW through the buy back program. It needs to be in running condition to turn in. The engine is disabled due to the AdBlue countdown running out. I am looking for a way to reset the AdBlue countdown just so I can start the engine and turn the car in to VW.

Background... My NOX sensor is broken. It will cost $700 to replace. My AdBlue tank is full but the level doesn't read correctly apparently because the sensor is not functioning. The AdBlue countdown has ended and the engine is now disabled. The VW dealer told me the AdBlue warning wouldn't actually shut the engine down... obviously that wasn't true. Does anybody know a way to reset the AdBlue countdown to get the engine started again without having to spend $700 to replace the sensor?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not to nitpick, but technically, I think the dealer was correct . . . If running, it won't shut you down. It will, however, prevent a restart, which isn't the same thing, and may have been the point of confusion. Unfortunately, no idea how to reset it here . . .

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I am looking to sell back my 2014 Passat TDI to VW through the buy back program. It needs to be in running condition to turn in. The engine is disabled due to the AdBlue countdown running out. I am looking for a way to reset the AdBlue countdown just so I can start the engine and turn the car in to VW.

<snip>
Since the car won't run in its present condition, it can't be turned in. The situation being a bit unusual, I would call the plaintiff counsel and explain this situation to them and ask for them to intervene so that the car can be turned in. The difficulty may be in explaining to them exactly what is going on.
We had the NOx sensor go out our second winter with this car; our only warning was the dreaded "200 miles to shutdown." I took it to heart and went immediately to the dealer, and the NOx sensor was replaced under warranty. Too bad this happened, but the dealer you consulted was full of it: if you're on an AdBlue countdown, you had better believe that once it runs out and you turn the car off, you're not going anywhere without the tender ministrations of a dealer. And that's obviously going to cost you $$$

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No. The whole point is disabling the engine if AdBlue isn't functioning according to design.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Find a junkyard wreck, and pull the sensor (or tank assembly), and try to get it to read at least once, even if not mounted on the car, and then turn it in? Short of a proper repair, nothing is coming to mind, since there appears to be no documented (or existing) was to do it via VCDS . . .

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
If that was the only problem, now you can consider keeping it and getting the fix $$$ . . .

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thanks for replies. No easy fix so I decided to get the NOX sensor replaced... $900.

my question is why wasnt this obvious Emissions critical equipment covered by some kind of emmissions warranty.... does the car have over 120k miles on it or something?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
my question is why wasnt this obvious Emissions critical equipment covered by some kind of emmissions warranty.... does the car have over 120k miles on it or something?

That is what I was wondering. Along with how does it cost $900 for a $450 sensor install?

I agree the $450 is a lot for the part (I'd be deleting that system for sure, LOL) but it is not that big of a deal labor wise to install and reset the SCR system. Certainly not another $450 worth!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That is what I was wondering. Along with how does it cost $900 for a $450 sensor install?
I agree the $450 is a lot for the part (I'd be deleting that system for sure, LOL) but it is not that big of a deal labor wise to install and reset the SCR system. Certainly not another $450 worth!
You guys have been charging to low!

gotta at least be $95-$120 to pull codes and diagnose the problem before any wrenches are turned. then disposal of of the old CORROSIVE TOXIC adblue gotta a be another $50, then 200 to remove/replace part, then another 80 to "reset" the computer, boom thanks for the $450.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well we do charge for diagnosis, but it sounds like the OP already had that done. Sometimes you get paid for what you know as much as what you do. And in this case, without actually seeing an itemized work order I can only speculate but $900 for installation of one NOx sensor seems on the high side, even from a dealer.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This particular sensor, although it is part of the emission system, is NOT covered by the emissions warranty (this has come up in the forum before, and the emissions warranty is highly specific in what it covers, is by no means comprehensive). Our car was luckily still under 3/36 B to B when it went out, and has been fine since.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
$900 for a lambda sensor? Jesus, Mary and Joseph! They really don't to keep customers, do they!

-mickey

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
You guys have been charging to low!
gotta at least be $95-$120 to pull codes and diagnose the problem before any wrenches are turned. then disposal of of the old CORROSIVE TOXIC adblue gotta a be another $50, then 200 to remove/replace part, then another 80 to "reset" the computer, boom thanks for the $450.
Urea is essentially non-toxic. For crying out loud, you piss 2% urea. Just pour the stuff down the drain.

They can come up with more ways to extract money, I swear.

-mickey

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New Mickey: Can you prove that pouring "the stuff down the drain" is in fact safe? Source of your information?

AdBlue may in fact be mostly non-toxic, but I seriously doubt it's safe to dump down the drain. Municipal water treatment facilities are already over-stressed.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
New Mickey: Can you prove that pouring "the stuff down the drain" is in fact safe? Source of your information?

AdBlue may in fact be mostly non-toxic, but I seriously doubt it's safe to dump down the drain. Municipal water treatment facilities are already over-stressed.
You can pour diluted DEF fluid on your lawn and it acts as a fertilizer. Undiluted it burns the grass.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Basically urea... Fertilizer. Dilute and use as such. Much better than wasting or allowing it into a stream or pond.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diluted, for sure, since it's 38%+ urea. Much better than dumping it into the municipal water system.

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
My light is red with a wrench and car would still run. Light went out after about 40 Miles and did not come back on for a couple of days. It’s came on 30 Miles from my work location hotel. I parked it and plugged my VCDS-MOBILE in and it gave a code p204F reductant system performance; bank 1 I tried to clear fault and check engine light went away. Red bottle and wrench stayed. Called VW roadside assistance and they are towing to dealership in town. Hopefully it’s covered under the emissions warranty extension. I kept the car and paid it off with cash they gave me. I’m at 191,931 Miles.