ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
If you don't buy it, someone else will, until someone doesn't, and then they'll lower it. I don't see how being armed with the knowledge that the car you're haggling over cost someone $3000 dollars at one time will give you any appreciable leverage on getting it down from $10K to $6k. At a certain point they'll just tell you to kick rocks and that point will be right where you draw a line between what you will and won't pay.
Exactly right.

The 2011 JSW TDI (26K miles) I purchased was pristine and basically a garaged vehicle for most of its life, but VW tried to leverage that JSW niche' market in to asking an original sticker price of $15,998.

It sat on the lot and was advertised on CarGurus for months. Many people looked at it and a few drove it, but no one was willing to purchase the car for what they were wanting regardless of condition and mileage.

I purchased it for $10,700 + TTL.

According to KBB, I paid fair price for it, but the market dictates and there are no more JSW TDI's in the state of Texas with low mileage like that which also have all the features I wanted in mint condition.

I just lucked out this time.

On a side note, I just completed my fresh buyback and will receive $12,725 for that vehicle.

:cool:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My plan is to offer them 79% of NADA clean retail as a starter. If they want more for it, ask them to add a discounted CPO warranty. If they still want more, ask them to add free VW recommended maintenance for the warranty period. I haven't thought beyond that yet, but I'm sure I can think of more value they can add if they want more money.

Dave

Let us know how it works out. If you are willing to let the car go to another buyer, if they can find one, or to wait them out if they can’t, you’ll succeed. A prolonged negotiation would be nerve wracking for me. I prefer buyers markets when the car I want is available in multiple places and I can quickly determine which sellers are motivated. Since my son drives automatic transmission my recent search for a Golf TDI for him went quite smoothly.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Let us know how it works out. If you are willing to let the car go to another buyer, if they can find one, or to wait them out if they can’t, you’ll succeed. A prolonged negotiation would be nerve wracking for me. I prefer buyers markets when the car I want is available in multiple places and I can quickly determine which sellers are motivated. Since my son drives automatic transmission my recent search for a Golf TDI for him went quite smoothly.
I hope it won't be prolonged and I am willing to negotiate with them to a point, but obviously there are limits dictated by the bank's willingness to finance the deal. As I noted I will pay more as long as I receive additional value for it. Any other suggestions to add after the two I alraedy have? I figure those two are worth about $1k for both of them.

Dave

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You're not in the best negotiating position. You've indicated a strong interest in a rare car. The dealer has the opportunity to play hardball. The car is worth what you're willing to pay for it, as the saying goes. If you plan to drive it a long time a little here or there in the purchase price really won't matter.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
You're not in the best negotiating position. You've indicated a strong interest in a rare car. The dealer has the opportunity to play hardball. The car is worth what you're willing to pay for it, as the saying goes. If you plan to drive it a long time a little here or there in the purchase price really won't matter.
Actually to some degree the car is worth what the bank is willing to finance. That is the reason I mentioned the NADA guide and the bank, as I intend to argue that as a hard upper limit to my offers.

They are not as common as the DSG models, but they are out there. It only took me a bit of searching to compile a list of 28 confirmed six speeds across the country. The most time involved there was in confirming that they were actually six speeds by inspecting pictures of the console area. I had to report a problem with this to AAA/ACA TrueCar, as over half of what was flagged as "manual transmission" upon inspection of the pictures were DSG models.

Dave

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What the bank will finance the car for is only your limitation. Others may pay cash or up their down payment to cover the difference. Even though others cried and whined that VW lied and they were extremely unhappy, there is still a demand for these cars and they are being bought back up at a pretty good pace in my opinion. Good luck in getting what you want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't agree. Lots of buyers for these cars are paying cash or not securing a loan for that car, they're getting the money elsewhere (home equity, whatever). So they can pay a premium and still get financing.

I've had the experience of looking at TDIs on cars.com and elsewhere that are incorrectly listed as manuals. I don't know if dealers do it because they want to convince you to buy the DSG once you're there, or they're just sloppy about how the list the vehicle. But 28 isn't many, especially since it's likely a good percentage of those are either colors you don't want or have body damage or higher miles than you'd prefer.

I'm not seeing a lot of good cars at the VW auction lately. I wonder if more nice ones will appear, or if we're getting to the ones that are less desirable now.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Exactly right.

The 2011 JSW TDI (26K miles) I purchased was pristine and basically a garaged vehicle for most of its life, but VW tried to leverage that JSW niche' market in to asking an original sticker price of $15,998.

It sat on the lot and was advertised on CarGurus for months. Many people looked at it and a few drove it, but no one was willing to purchase the car for what they were wanting regardless of condition and mileage.

I purchased it for $10,700 + TTL.

According to KBB, I paid fair price for it, but the market dictates and there are no more JSW TDI's in the state of Texas with low mileage like that which also have all the features I wanted in mint condition.

I just lucked out this time.

On a side note, I just completed my fresh buyback and will receive $12,725 for that vehicle.

:cool:

Lucky you! [emoji23]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Too bad Chris is Gone......He would be in his Glory now! With all these TDI’s out there For Sale! He will be gone 3 years next week....RIP big guy!
Dave D good luck..... I think they got you right where they want you......

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Just found this thread, my wife and I bought a CPO 2015 Golf TDI S 6MT with 16.5k miles back in October. Was a VA car so super clean. This is my wife's car and we have been loving it, we've put almost 10k miles on it already. Can't beat the warranty either!

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The flow of crushed cars seems to be slowing down at the junkyard across the street. I suspect VW is working through trying to sell the Tier 2 cars now, for lack of a better term. The Tier 1 stuff was probably picked out six months ago and sold to the eager fans.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've had the experience of looking at TDIs on cars.com and elsewhere that are incorrectly listed as manuals. I don't know if dealers do it because they want to convince you to buy the DSG once you're there, or they're just sloppy about how the list the vehicle.
They're just being sloppy. I've seen just as many cars listed as automatic on cargurus that are really manual. You have to look at the interior photos to know for sure what it is.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
I just found out today why the listing for this car, and other 2015 Passat TDIs, disappeared from the dealer's list of inventory for sale. There is a mandatory stop sale order out on these due to the Takata Driver Frontal Airbag recall. I was told by someone in service that they expect the repair to be available in March, hopefully early but nobody seems to know for sure.

So at this point my purchase is on hold, along with many others I am sure.

Dave

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually to some degree the car is worth what the bank is willing to finance. That is the reason I mentioned the NADA guide and the bank, as I intend to argue that as a hard upper limit to my offers.
Your approach won't work, David.

The dealer doesn't care how you come up with the money, just as long as you pay what they want.

The last car I purchased, they were so picky about payment that they made me pay with cashier's check instead of putting it all on my credit card. Evidently there are more and more people purchasing cars on credit and disputing the charges which ties up the money long-term.

I almost didn't purchase the car due to the hassle of getting a cashier's check drawn from USAA which only has one central bank (San Antonio).

They ended up compromising and letting me drop $3K on the CC while they held the car for me.

David: Your hard "upper limit" means jack to a dealer. There are plenty of people who will purchase the vehicle for more than you are willing to pay.

Since my son drives automatic transmission my recent search for a Golf TDI for him went quite smoothly.
You are lucky that the Golf TDI market is flooded with buybacks. The JSW TDI market is a collector's market now and it's very difficult to find a low mileage car in great condition. Honestly, I don't like the Golf or the Golf Wagon. They are both cheaper imitation versions of the Jetta and JSW, respectively.

Why did VW phase out the JSW in favor of the Golf Wagon? The body style sucks and it's way too boxy looking now.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I think you have that backwards. Top to bottom, front to back, my GSW is better in every way except one to my JSW, which is the passenger seat adjustment. Actually two if you count color options, since I really liked my toffee brown JSW paint.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The last car I purchased, they were so picky about payment that they made me pay with cashier's check instead of putting it all on my credit card. Evidently there are more and more people purchasing cars on credit and disputing the charges which ties up the money long-term. [/B]
I think the resistance to paying by credit card has more to do with the transaction costs. It costs a seller 2-4% of the charge amount in credit card fees. That's not nothing on a $10-15K purchase.

I'm an airline mile hoarder, and charge everything I can. But sometimes you hit a wall.

And for what it's worth, I've owned both a MKVI Golf and now a MKVII GSW. I like the MKVII much, much better. Stiffer body structure, much less wind and road noise, better interior finish. The only thing I miss is the cloth seats in the MKVI.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The JSW was called the GSW or Golf Variant in pretty much every market other than the US. It's far more a Golf than a Jetta. The NCS Jetta was cheapened to appeal to the N. American market.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
.The JSW TDI market is a collector's market :rolleyes:

Seriously people collect JSW TDI"s? I have a hard time imagining this to be true. TDI's are bought and driven because of their fuel efficiency.

Do you really stand behind this statement?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, he has a super rare, super mint condition one. It'll be on Leno's Garage next week. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I own 4 TDIs. One is a pristine '99.5 Golf, one is a very clean and rust free original B4, and a GSW that's only been titled to me with 12K miles on it. And of course my Wagon. I can say without reservation that these cars have no value as collector cars. They're consumables.

We have a near perfect B4V sitting in our warehouse that was a TDIFest Show and Shine winner, 150K miles on it, original paint, leather interior. Hasn't been driven in nearly 10 years. The owner still has it in part because its value has cratered in recent years. That car was worth around $15K at its peak. Probably worth $5K now. And there were only 1,200 of those sold in North America. JSWs are far, far more common. They won't ever have any collector value, I'm certain.

I have these cars because I love them. I don't have any delusions of them having any value. I haven't sold my B4 because it's not worth anything, and as soon as I sell it one of my kids will need a car, guaranteed.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
[
The JSW TDI market is a collector's market now
Collector's market! Who's willing to throw cash at me for my JSW? I'll start the bidding at $30,000.

QUOTE=IndigoBlueWagon;5486779]I can say without reservation that these cars have no value as collector cars.[/QUOTE]

POP! That was my bubble bursting. My wife had the new car already picked out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Then my Beetle must be worth $60k. Last of the TDI's and they quit making the Beetles as well. My 1935 Ford fordor Deluxe completely restored, which is a real collectors car, would be lucky to get $20k for it I would imagine. Maybe if you parked and never drove it again for 84 years it might have some value.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
VW now has an approved repair for the 2015 Passat Takata airbag recall. So I would expect the mandatory stop sale will be withdrawn quickly. Hopefully I can make progress in my purchase now.

Dave

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SE with 6 speed manual in Titanium Beige with beige interior and 35,412 on the odometer today. Look forward to many years of driving it.

Dave