EGR delete vs tune out

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Both my ALHs have EGR cooler deletes. But they still have EGR valves because I want the anti-shudder valve in case of a runaway, and because with it the car doesn't...shudder.

If I were doing this stuff over again I'd have left the cooler in place. In the day it was a negative, but a properly driven TDI using ULSD isn't going to clog its intake anyway. My son's '02 is bone stock with the cooler in place, his intake is fine, and it's never been cleaned.

But to reinforce a post above, an EGR duty cycle delete is different from reducing EGR function in VCDS. If the EGR piping is deleted and you turn it down in VCDS you'll still throw a code.

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Thanks.....understand. Which is why I’m going to have an ECU tune for CEL.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree with IBW. If the cooler is there and all intact, may as well make some use of it with better tuning. The ALH's EGR cooler is never an issue. Never seen one outright fail (coolant in intake/exhaust) like I've seen on BHWs (and pretty much every Ford product that uses one). They don't have that silly changeover flap that wears its shaft seal out like the BRM does. They are not finicky about PERFECT mounting or stuff breaks like the BEW does. And with ULSD, the days of clogged intakes are over anyway. The only ones of those I ever mess with now are these freak low mileage cars that seem to pop up from time to time that are still carrying around their crud from the pre-ULSD days. Most of these cars have less than 80k miles on them.

NH TDI

TDI
2005.5 1.9l BRM
Im in a similar spot. I did the mechanical EGR delete and I would like to find a way to have the car pass emissions for state inspection.
I emailed Malone tuning today.

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Stage 1 tune........drive the car for at least 150 miles before the test.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Old-school TDI owner here...

Still have an Epsilonian device on my retired A3 Jetta - if my A4 Golf doesn't pass next time (deleted all EGR hardware) I am going to transfer it over.

Even if you had to buy the components and make one, it is still cheaper and easier than having someone tune EGR out, no?

I wonder how many people even know what the order of Epsilon is any more....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When we bought my son's '02 Golf a few years ago it had an Epsilonian device. It wasn't working. We deleted it and the EGR and cooler are still working on his car. I think that device is a very primitive alternative to a tune that will help your car in other ways. My vote would be to get the EGR tuned out with an ECU flash or keep the hardware in place and working.

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
Ok what happens if I remove and block the egr cooler but leave the valve and anti shudder?
Will the car know that no exhaust is getting recycled? Will it snuff the intake? What if I plug or vent the vacume line ? Thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Ok what happens if I remove and block the egr cooler but leave the valve and anti shudder?
Will the car know that no exhaust is getting recycled? Will it snuff the intake? What if I plug or vent the vacume line ? Thanks
Plug the vac line, otherwise it'll just open and vent your intake to atmosphere. And yes your car will know if the EGR isn't functioning. It changes its MAF requested when trying to get EGR.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Vacuum line on the EGR operates the anti-shudder valve. I like to leave that in place, even when the EGR duty cycle is shut off via a tune and the bottom of the valve is blocked off.

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
right but what about the one that goes right into the actuator that looks like a hat right on top of the egr? ( 2003 ALH )

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you leave it connected, and block off the cooler, then the boost air will just vent to atmosphere out of the valve. If you want no egr, but don't want to tune it, block off the egr valve with a plate and plug the vac line, then call it a day. Make sure to put a block off at the turbo as well or your turbo won't work right.