Hids

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
4300k wouldn't be terrible. The main problem is when people want the colored hids.
I'm surprised that you got 3 years before one blew. No drl?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
The DeAutoKey has the right electronics to not trigger the "bulb out" sensors. I converted my DRLS to DEAK LEDs, so no issues there at all.

Yeah, the guys with the 10K-12K HIDs are really missing the boat with purple light and massively diminished lumens.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
Glad I'm not the only one on this side of the "fight."
You are far from alone. It drives me nuts too, and the excuse of "no one flashes me, so it must be acceptable" is fundamentally flawed. It was not until I started reading the same BS excuse over and over that I made a conscious effort to flash every single A-hole that glares past with 10k HIDs in the opposite direction. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Our 4300K HID kit in the stock Passat lights is still working fine after nearly 100,000 miles. They're aimed well, and we get no flashes from oncoming traffic.

Just yesterday, I drove 400 miles home in our Jetta while Jason followed me in our Passat, and I had absolutely no complaints about the lights, and I'm pretty sensitive to / aware of lighting.

I've certainly seen many HID kits that do not work well in stock halogen housings, and it's certainly a valid concern to raise with this sort of retrofit. However, in this particular Passat, with the kit we purchased, we have had very good results. I cannot tell the OP "yeah, go ahead and do it," because I don't know what he's buying, or what condition his headlights are in. I can only share my own experiences.

Oh, and for the record, HID retrofits are illegal in many localities. If your vehicle is subject to safety inspections, you run the risk of failing since the retrofit is not DOT compliant. This same thing goes for projector retrofits into stock halogen housings.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I'm selling the headlights and HID kit that I had on my wife's Passat. It's the option 2 headlights that Ed sells, but they're chrome inside of the housing not black.

alame

TDI
2005 Passat
HID in 2005 Passat

Glad I'm not the only one on this side of the "fight." Lol
Makes me wanna bash headlights when they're like that and oncoming at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I got them in my car on the high beam side, work great and lots of light, pity the f**k that doesn't like them and wants to bash my install