How do I check the transmission fluid level?

ptreads

TDI
2009 jetta, 2012 passat
I bought a 2012 Passat tdi sel automatic transmission with flood damage that had hydrolocked. I was able to get the motor spinning relatively easy but but am worried about water in the transmission fluid. It didn't come with an owners manual and I can't find a check plug anywhere on it. I loosened the bottom drain plug and the transmission fluid came out looking clean. I took the filter off under the battery box and there is visible fluid. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
As far as I know, there is no way to check. Your best bet, unless you want to spend $350-$400 + at a dealer is to do it yourself.

Here are the parts:
http://www.idparts.com/dsg-service-kit-40k-p-941.html

Same site has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GncqCbO25U&feature=youtu.be

There are several threads on this site and others that go over differing methods but in general you want to measure what you take out and refill the same amount. I believe you can extract from the top of the engine too. If you have drained or some leaked then I am guessing there is a link somewhere around here that will help you with the total fill volume.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I bought a 2012 Passat tdi sel automatic transmission with flood damage that had hydrolocked. I was able to get the motor spinning relatively easy but but am worried about water in the transmission fluid. It didn't come with an owners manual and I can't find a check plug anywhere on it. I loosened the bottom drain plug and the transmission fluid came out looking clean. I took the filter off under the battery box and there is visible fluid. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Same as many other cars, run the engine at idle in Park, remove the plug at the bottom of the transmission while monitoring ATF temp with a scan tool (a thermometer on the case can be used, too, it isn't that critical) and if ATF comes out, it is full.

The drain plug IS the check plug, and there is a little step tube threaded up inside of there to remove to drain it. Nothing new, that transmission has been around for over a decade.

ptreads

TDI
2009 jetta, 2012 passat
Ok. When I take the drain plug out fluid dumps out like it has quarts above it. So I guess it must have filled with water. And the step tube explains why I'm getting fluid instead of water coming out. Thanks for the help!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
hydro locked means its was being driven thru water and it took a gulp, if there was no water in the crankcase and you said the fluid that did come out of the tranny was normal, you should be OK, stop do nothing else!

On the other hand if you feel you must change the fluids, because you think? water got in, oil is no problem, the trans, on the other hand, you have to do more than just drain it, you have to flush it.

ptreads

TDI
2009 jetta, 2012 passat
There a little water in the crank and the number two was locked. They burnt the starter tried to fire it up. I pulled the injectors took out the water, dropped the pan and balancer and everything looked good. I am able to spin it now by hand although it does have a rough spot. I am worried about the transmission because there is a breather on the top, forward of the filter. I pulled the drain/filler plug and about two + quarts of what looks to be pure fluid came out. I took out the tube and got out about another five-ish quarts but again it doesn't appear to have any water. Any idea why it would be that much over full? Also can I refill from the filter hole on top?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
#2 rod most likely is bent

probably no water got into the oil, make sure there is no water sitting thru out the intake, get a powerful vacuum and reverse it thru the intake with the glo plugs out, rotate engine, this will blow out any water sitting around

probably no water got into your trans, its very easy to overfill your trans. You refill it thru the drain plug, fluid has to be a certain temp. Look around this forum you should be able to find a procedure to fill it

This is how I do it, I put a small tube thru the glo plug hole, attach a small vacuum to it and suck any water out of the cylinders, then I put in a few teaspoons of denatured alcohol, this will evap any water left over, then I add a little tranny fluid and go from there

I'm working on a flooded 09 Redline at this very moment

Last edited: