How long did your battery last?

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
The battery of my 2012 Passat TDi was dead yesterday. Tried to jump start it, did not work. VW road side assistant came, and also failed to jump start. Then, they towed away the car to the dealership. I know I could just buy a battery and replace it by myself, but I just wanted to make sure battery was the only problem. It sucks that they only cover battery for 24,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes faster, and I was 25,xxx miles. So I had to pay 190 for the battery...

How long did your battery last?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Are you leaving the key in the ignition overnight? That is rumored to leave control modules open and can dis-charge the battery. I wouldn't think any NMS owner would need a replacement yet unless the batt has been totally drained flat several times and under charge damaged. As for life, I normally get 5 years on open vent acid filled type, 10 years on my Optima's and 10-15 years on quality sealed AGM like this nice group 48 that fits our NMS > http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...p-02850748000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2 .
Oh, BTW My 2001 Civic is still going strong on the original

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Gulp - just hit 26K this weekend. Battery still strong. Per some measuring block data that I pulled last weekend for DPF statistics, I have 4256 manual engine starts for 890+ hours engine run time. And I have drained the battery a few times where it wouldn't start the car when slogging through byte 18 codes last year. Still going strong, so far. I've left my key in the car overnight (w/ KESSY), locked in the garage without incident. Hopefully your experience will not be mine anytime soon.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
As a motorsports junkie, im a huge fan of AGM battery's over the stock fluid filled ones. They almost always have hundreds more cold cranking amps and best of all, zero corrosion as they are sealed!
I have had all of these manufactures AMG batteries last 10+ years in my powersports toys that are trickle charged in the off season:
Optima
Enersys (expensive but by far the best batt on the planet)
odyssey
Sears platinum (made by enersys)
Just put a Exide AGM in our boat, jury still out
info:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Might be more going on...especially if you couldn't jump start it. I'd be pissed if my battery lasted anything less than 5 years.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Might be more going on...especially if you couldn't jump start it. I'd be pissed if my battery lasted anything less than 5 years.
I think a defective battery is the best explanation. What else would be going on? A shorted / dead cell will cause that situation.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
That says "DEEP CYCLE" . It's for RV's, boats etc that are not used for vehicle's starting use.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Mine is still going strong, It will be 2yrs old in July. The past 8 Months or so I've had my AMP installed as well so it's seeing some use :cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're having issues with control modules not going to sleep, too... still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. Considering adding a second battery in the stock VR6 location in the trunk. My personal opinion is that the single stock battery is too small for the huge electrical loads in the Passat.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Whaaaaaaat? I'm still on my original battery which was manufactured in 2003 and has been in constant service since I picked up my car in January 2004.

Your battery was defective. Two years is unacceptable.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Whaaaaaaat? I'm still on my original battery which was manufactured in 2003 and has been in constant service since I picked up my car in January 2004.

Your battery was defective. Two years is unacceptable.
That's great and all, but I would say that your situation is not the norm, nor does it relate to the new cars with much higher electrical draw.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
the NMS holds it own, I watch my wife back out of the garage and kick the seats on high while turning the wheel, zero headlight dim!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
2 1/2 years since car was built. Nary a problem, car is garaged, never in excessive heat or cold. Car remains unlocked in the garage (Kessy, both keys well away from the car), the longest we've gone w/o running it was about 8 days, started right up, no issues.
Just curious. Is there a stronger battery that fits the stock opening?

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Just curious. Is there a stronger battery that fits the stock opening?
In general, an AGM battery of the same physical size will provide more juice than a traditionally constructed battery.

I personally like Optima batteries, but just as with Additives battery loyalists tend to get pretty vocal in their support of a certain brand.

I had an Optima orange top in my '97 Jetta that lasted 3 years until the car was totaled, and then we used it in our garden tractor for 7 years after that. The tractor wasn't started with any degree of regularity like a car, and always started right up in the coldest of conditions when it came time to move snow.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
That's great and all, but I would say that your situation is not the norm, nor does it relate to the new cars with much higher electrical draw.
Do you simply make up words when you play Scrabble too??? :confused:

Where do you get such bogus information???

New cars w/ LED lighting draw quite a bit less power than incandescent bulbs!!!

The only current draw of significance, which actually affects battery life, is using the starter for the few seconds it takes to start a car. All other power draws are miniscule to that huge draw.

So how do you figure current draw on a new car is higher than and old car starting it??? :confused::confused::confused: 2.0L compared to 1.9L??? I'm sure the battery has been sized for the extra 0.1L!!!

Furthermore, a car once running is using power from alternator, and no longer draining battery. So think before you speak.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Hmmm...will be interested to have a watch on this. Never had a battery last less than 5 years in any car I have owned. My 2002 VW only had the battery changed once around 2008 before I traded it late in 2013. My wife's 2008 and 2010 Chryslers didn't need a battery change in the 3 years we leased each of them. She's currently in a 2012 Durango and about 40% through a 3 year lease. I HOPE that battery doesn't go, it's an AGM battery mounted under the passenger seat in the car and is a bit on the expensive side. Wouldn't want that extra cost on a lease.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^normal? No. Do some batteries fail earlier than others? Yup...it's the luck of the draw...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The OEM battery in our new in '02 Dodge Dakota lasted almost 9 years. When it went, I went to the dealer and asked for a direct replacement. No can do, I was told, and was offered something else. I went someWHERE else and bought an Interstate. Over the years I've never had one of those fail before we got rid of the car. If / when the battery in the Passat goes, I have no reason to believe I'd buy anything else.....

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
battery tender question

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Are our Passats, positive grounded or negative grounded? I was going to start to use a battery tender, since I don't drive my Passat very far in my daily commute, only about 12 miles round trip. Haven't had any battery issues, but I thought I would try to get the most out of this battery. Thanks in advance!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Are our Passats, positive grounded or negative grounded? I was going to start to use a battery tender, since I don't drive my Passat very far in my daily commute, only about 12 miles round trip. Haven't had any battery issues, but I thought I would try to get the most out of this battery. Thanks in advance!

Negative ground.

VtdiW

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Battery is on it's way out in less than 24 months(approx 48000 miles). Have had issues with the modules not going to sleep too when the car has been parked in the garage with key in close proximity.

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
Just thought I'd add mine along this thread for anyone else. TDI 2012, with 60,000 miles, battery cell went bad literaly overnight. Way to short a life, must be OEM batch.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CR cars in general are harder on batteries. They have higher underhood temps, higher electrical loads, and have extended loads AFTER the engine is shut off in many cases. On the NMS they actually went to an even smaller battery. I have no idea why, but we'll see that shorter battery life may just be the norm for these cars.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
My '12 is just over 2 years old, 43,000 miles, battery still pumping out the juice!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My '12 is just over 2 years old, 43,000 miles, battery still pumping out the juice!

Yeah, so yours is in the range of getting ready to go south soon. Don't think we'll see too many of these lasting 5+ years like we did with the older ones.