RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I disagree. Bringing our complaints to this forum is what fixes stuff, at least at the user level. I search the Jeep forums before I run off to the dealer if I have an issue. It helps if one fells the service department is blowing smoke. And yes, I've moved on. 2 months after buying the passet realizing I just waisted almost 2k on a POS nav/radio system that I could have gotten for 1/4 the price at Micky Shorrs or CarTunes. Heck, Bestbuy has a better unit.. Don't cloud the issue. The radios that VW is putting in these cars are crap. Safety hazards IMO. Nothing wrong with the car. Just just the options that are more then 5 years behind the times and have issues. So, if I can stop 2 or 3 buys from buying these crappy radios, I will have done my job as a consumer. Just sayin.
We finished this part of the conversation over a month ago. I don't care if you complain. I just don't want it in this thread. This is for people to get help, and for us to help them deal with what they have purchased. Go complain to the dealer, VWUSA, or comment in one of the MANY complaint threads on this forum and others, just not in this actual thread. I have never called the RNS510 good, I am just trying to help people get it as functional as possible.

How is a slow radio a safety hazard? Nothing about the radio affects your driving or control of the car. People that say the camera not coming up quickly is a safety hazard, just wait a little longer before you take your foot off the brake. It's the impatience that is the safety hazard.

I love my car, and I deal with the RNS510. Firmware 4366, and Map update 7963 help me to deal with it, and actually make it an OK unit. It integrates with all of the other cars functions, and honestly not worth it to me to replace it with aftermarket, because of the things I would lose regarding integration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thanks for "keeping the faith", LokiWolf, and continuing to deflect the criticisms of the RNS510. I don't know why threads get so complicated with discussions that are specifically asked to be avoided.
I just did the firm/software upgrade (thanks to assistance from compu85) and the touchscreen is now almost instantaneous. The difference is quite remarkable, and you have my gratitude for your efforts.
I'm sending you a PM this evening with a couple questions.

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks for "keeping the faith", LokiWolf, and continuing to deflect the criticisms of the RNS510. I don't know why threads get so complicated with discussions that are specifically asked to be avoided.
I just did the firm/software upgrade (thanks to assistance from compu85) and the touchscreen is now almost instantaneous. The difference is quite remarkable, and you have my gratitude for your efforts.
I'm sending you a PM this evening with a couple questions.
Totally agree! I took a look at the 2014 RNS-510 yesterday, and it's not much faster than the upgrade many of us have performed with Loki's EXPERT help... VWoA still hasn't made the new firmware and map update available to us. That's really not saying much regarding their actual concern for existing customers. I never even got the v5.2 disk in the mail, and I'd been complaining about outdated maps since I first got the car in March. (I definitely would not have downgraded my map data from v6 but it would have been nice to have received the v5.2 disk as a positive gesture at the very least...)

Last edited:

B7TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I updated my firmware to v.4366 last night thanks to LokiWolf. The installation was a cinch. I could immediately notice a difference in responsiveness. Anyone who hasn't done this yet is doing themselves a great disservice.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Lokiwolf, I just want to lend my voice to the chorus praising your efforts and chime in to say thank you. I downloaded all three of your updated files.
As I mentioned previously, the map updated to my laptop, but I didn't have either software or double layer DVDs to burn a copy of the file, so that has slid into the "something to do later" category. I copied the VIM file and was unable to get past #8 in your instructions, as a result of an error msg and my screen asking for me to hit the <GUIDE>+<Day/Night>+ EJECT> buttons to proceed. I was/am ignorant as to how to enter this info as the Day/Night button is in settings and unavailable when the error screen appears. Anyway, that really isn't too important to me as the Firmware update went smoothly and was finished in approx. 20 minutes.
As I told a friend when I was telling him how happy I was with the results of the firmware update, "it's like going from a two barrel carburetor to a supercharger." What s a HUGE difference re before vs. after.
This firmware update absolutely resolved all my disappointment with the performance of the RNS 510 and in doing so, has increased my smiles per miles enjoyment of the car by a considerable amount.
Frankly, I'm astounded by VW's inability to grasp the level of customer satisfaction that would be gained with providing this update instead of just a map rehash. And, the increase in sales would be substantial as it would end a major complaint by owners and reviewers-- I guess parts of VW Corporate are pretty stupid.
Thanks again.
RC

Just an addendum to my previous post:
When I reported my inability to get the VIM software loaded I was quite mistaken. I never tried running a DVD, just assumed the process hadn't completed as indicated by my on screen prompt. Yesterday, I thought I'd throw a DVD in just to see how well it worked. Well, much to my surprise it worked just fine and played when the car was IM (in motion). Anyway, just wanted to add this note for anyone that comes to the same confusing point when installing the software.
Loki, Thanks again. You've made my driving experience much better with your efforts.
And, along that line, I have to say I think the car just gets better response and driving wise after 11 months and almost 12,000 miles. It is just a great car!!

Smoothbutta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Error 010306

Hello all. I really appreciate all the help I have received from this forum. I have been trying to update my RNS-510 firmware to 4366 and I have run into an error after it starts to initialise. I get error 010306 and it refers to an initialisation error (their spelling). I searched the forum, but did not find any references. Anyone seen this or know how to fix it? It reloads my original software when the disc ejects, but I can never get to the screen to start the install. I have tried using imgburn and cdburnerxp as well as DVD and CD's in different brands. I have been burning track at once at 1x speed. I would appreciate any knowledge anyone has on this error. Thank you.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hello all. I really appreciate all the help I have received from this forum. I have been trying to update my RNS-510 firmware to 4366 and I have run into an error after it starts to initialise. I get error 010306 and it refers to an initialisation error (their spelling). I searched the forum, but did not find any references. Anyone seen this or know how to fix it? It reloads my original software when the disc ejects, but I can never get to the screen to start the install. I have tried using imgburn and cdburnerxp as well as DVD and CD's in different brands. I have been burning track at once at 1x speed. I would appreciate any knowledge anyone has on this error. Thank you.
What car do you have? What version of the 510?

overdrive79

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
LokiWolf, I checked last night and I have the old firmware on my RNS-510. I do have the dvd that VW sent out, (it was in the glove box when I bought this 2013 with 6K miles on it) but the previous owner never opened it. I see some lag in the interface, and as you suggested, it seems that unlocking the doors as early as possible will get the software up and running before you start the car.

Could you please pm me the new firmware?

timwoj

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Installed the VIM and 4366 firmware this afternoon. I haven't driven the car with them installed yet, but I'll play with it during my commute this week.

I have a quick question about the V6 maps. I already installed the V5.2 maps from VM. Can I downgrade (upgrade?) the maps to V6 without problems?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Installed the VIM and 4366 firmware this afternoon. I haven't driven the car with them installed yet, but I'll play with it during my commute this week.

I have a quick question about the V6 maps. I already installed the V5.2 maps from VM. Can I downgrade (upgrade?) the maps to V6 without problems?
I have, and minus the ridiculously slow PATA HDD transfer rate all was well.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The 510 doesn't care about the version order just that it is different when it comes to map data. Forwards, backwards it does not care.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I used Verbatim CDs for the VIM and 4366 updates, and a Verbatim DVD-R+DL for the maps. They were burned on a Sony Superdrive in an old Mac G5 cheesegrater. I had no troubles, other than I had to do the double-layer DVD twice, as the first one returned an error in the checksum after burning. Double-layer DVDs are not the most reliable media ever invented, about like the old 1.44 meg floppy disk. I'd try a different brand of media first......

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I have a 2011 CC. I am not sure about the version of my 510. I dont have vcds to check it.
Ya don't need vcds to get version #.... while STOPPED, enter the set up section and (maybe) it's in there......

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ya don't need vcds to get version #.... while STOPPED, enter the set up section and it's in there......
Not true. On the older revision 510's you have to enable the advanced options or look at the version in VCDS. Since you have a 2011CC, you most likely have an E version. Try holding the setup button, look for version info. If you don't have that option, you most likely can't use the 4366 firmware.

overdrive79

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Does the updated firmware re-enable the voice commands? Or are we still forced to use the VAGCOM to change it back?

Smoothbutta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Not true. On the older revision 510's you have to enable the advanced options or look at the version in VCDS. Since you have a 2011CC, you most likely have an E version. Try holding the setup button, look for version info. If you don't have that option, you most likely can't use the 4366 firmware.

I can't see the version in the secret menu. Only am, fm, and iboc are visible. I will get vcds to see what firmware I have and then see what my options are. Thank you.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I can't see the version in the secret menu. Only am, fm, and iboc are visible. I will get vcds to see what firmware I have and then see what my options are. Thank you.
No problem, once you have it, post it up and I can point you in the right direction.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I finally got around to install the 7963 map update, albeit unsuccessful, and after a great start I eventually got an error and the DVD ejected.

The strange thing is that the process started as described, but after pressing the CONTINUE button in the first popup it threw a DVD error and ejected the disc.

Subsequent attempts led directly to the disc error and ejected the DVD.

Is it safe to assume that I should try and burn the files again using a different brand of DL DVD? Or should I try something else with the existing disc which I burned using Disk Utility on my Mac?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the updated firmware re-enable the voice commands? Or are we still forced to use the VAGCOM to change it back?
Though it does "FIX" the overall useability of voice commands, it indeed does not re-enable them
only a Continental VDO tool specifically for the RNS-510 OR VCDS are able to activate Voice Commands as far as i know...(though supposedly VW dealers in Germany with their more advanced VAS tools can as well...)

Last edited:

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally got around to install the 7963 map update, albeit unsuccessful, and after a great start I eventually got an error and the DVD ejected.

The strange thing is that the process started as described, but after pressing the CONTINUE button in the first popup it threw a DVD error and ejected the disc.

Subsequent attempts led directly to the disc error and ejected the DVD.

Is it safe to assume that I should try and burn the files again using a different brand of DL DVD? Or should I try something else with the existing disc which I burned using Disk Utility on my Mac?
If I were you I would try a program called imgburn... it has worked on mine well...
its interface is kind of "robust", however for burning sensitive stuff, it has been in my opinion second to none...

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
If I were you I would try a program called imgburn... it has worked on mine well...
its interface is kind of "robust", however for burning sensitive stuff, it has been in my opinion second to none...
Thanks Matt. Is imgburn a PC program? Doing a search for Mac apps yielded nothing...

Also, I should have mentioned that the firmware update and VIM enable worked just fine with discs burned on my Mac. Just the Maps update isn't working.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Matt. Is imgburn a PC program? Doing a search for Mac apps yielded nothing...

Also, I should have mentioned that the firmware update and VIM enable worked just fine with discs burned on my Mac. Just the Maps update isn't working.
sorry, jumped the gun, it appears to be Windows only:(
the maps are MUCH more sensitive!
if i remember correctly, my toshiba burner did it right on FW+VIM but failed on maps- then i tried it via another program -roxario? or something like that on my old Aopen XP gaming rig, then just got lazy and decided to use what others had reported success with:eek:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The key is to burn the file to the disk as a disk image, and not just to drop the file onto a disk as a single file. Based on others in the past, this has been a common problem for Mac users. Ultimately, any platform will work, if the burn is done correctly, and there have been Win, Mac, and Linux burns that have loaded just fine into the RNS.

- Tim

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
The key is to burn the file to the disk as a disk image, and not just to drop the file onto a disk as a single file. Based on others in the past, this has been a common problem for Mac users. Ultimately, any platform will work, if the burn is done correctly, and there have been Win, Mac, and Linux burns that have loaded just fine into the RNS.

- Tim
Yes, that's right. Here is what I see on the top-level of the DVD:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77214711@N00/11487293124/

Does that look right?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks good. Will your software do a verify/compare?

- Tim
It did at the first attempt and a few seconds later I saw a disc error message and the DVD ejected automatically. At all later attempts it went right to the disc error and subsequent disc eject.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
It did at the first attempt and a few seconds later I saw a disc error message and the DVD ejected automatically. At all later attempts it went right to the disc error and subsequent disc eject.
I meant confirm on the burner, which will compare the source file to the disk. You most likely either have a bad burn, or a corrupted download.

- Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.