RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Alright, I am starting this thread to help with the multiple questions in multiple threads across multiple sites. I will be posting this on Vortex also. My hope is to explain and clarify the updates that are out there, both Firmware, and Maps on the RNS510. For simplification purposes, this is ONLY addressing the versions of the RNS510 that come from the factory in the NMS Passat 2012-2015.

Firmware - This is the Operating system of the radio, and controls general functions.

Map Data - It is just that, Map Data, it does not affect general operation of the Radio. All versions of the US Maps work on all US versions of the RNS-510.

VIM - Video In Motion. It allows you to watch a DVD Movie on the Radio while the car is moving. VIM appears to work on all versions of the Firmware, Map Updates DO NOT affect VIM. It has been tested on 4369 that comes on the K version RNS510's by several people and it does work.

We will discuss the Firmware Versions first:

2625 - Some VERY early 2012's came with this firmware from the factory.
3690/3696 - What most 2012/2013 RNS510's came with from the factory. It allowed TrafficLink to work. Works on E-J Units.
4366 - Late 2013's came with this Firmware, and if you bought a J unit straight from a Continental dealer. Improved speed and responsiveness of the unit in general over the previous versions. Works on E-J Units.
4369 - 2014's come with this. The Unit is a K Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
5374 - Newer 2014's come with this. The Unit is a L Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K/L Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
5378 - 2015's come with this. The Unit is a M/N Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K/L/M/N Unit.

5382 - Newest for the SSD based units.

Now the Map Updates:

7870 - Known as V5, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from NavTeq. It is what most 2012/2013's came loaded with from the factory.
7963 - Known as V6, and contains 2012Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the 2014's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's.
7994 - Known as V5.2, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from Navteq. It is the Map disc VW recently shipped to all 2013 owners. It is the same data as what come from the factory, but appears to reorganize it to improve access to it when using the NAV functions.
8050 - Known as V7, and contains 2013Q1 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the newer 2014's with L Units are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's, and from Navteq.
8112 - Known as V8, and contains 2013Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the newer 2015's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013/2014's, and from Navteq.
8213 - Known as V9, and contains 2014Q1 Map data from Navteq. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources, and from Navteq.
8246 - Known as V10, and contains 2014Q3 Map data from Navteq. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources, and from Navteq.

All Map updates Discs can only be attained by visiting the following site:
http://www.navigation.com/vw

These updates are provided by Navteq.

NONE of the above update can be done via SD Card. They have to be done via disc. POI and Music can be loaded via SD Card, but not Map or Firmware Updates.

Hope this helps to clarify. If anybody has anything to add, post it, and if it is pertinent I will edit the above or add it.:cool:

Last edited:

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
Loki, thanks for putting this all in one place; I appreciate the effort.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Yes thanks for posting this and sharing all you have learned about this unit. Being a systems programmer in my early IT days (think assembly language) I am very interested in how this thing works.

And FWIW there is absolutely nothing illegal about what you posted in the beginning of this thread.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So the question becomes...7963 or 7994?
My opinion is 7963 if you can get it to load. Newer Map data and all. There are people that the 7963 doesn't want to finish loading on. I am hoping that 7994 will work for them as a fall back. If it doesn't, that proves it is the units that are finicky. One of the people that loaded 7994 says that it took 3 tries. That leans towards these units are just finicky...

If what VW sent you doesn't work that gives you a legit reason take it to the dealer and get them to resolve, maybe with a new unit. Maybe get lucky and get a new K unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It appears that the 2014's are coming with 7963 loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it prior to delivery to VW. I have added it to the initial post...

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
My opinion is 7963 if you can get it to load. Newer Map data and all. There are people that the 7963 doesn't want to finish loading on. I am hoping that 7994 will work for them as a fall back. If it doesn't, that proves it is the units that are finicky. One of the people that loaded 7994 says that it took 3 tries. That leans towards these units are just finicky...

If what VW sent you doesn't work that gives you a legit reason take it to the dealer and get them to resolve, maybe with a new unit. Maybe get lucky and get a new K unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I have 7963 loaded that you sent me.

I only ask because I got the disc from VW yesterday.

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
I will stick with V6 that LokiWolf had sent me. This is a no brainer. Good job on cracking it to find out this info.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've done a little housekeeping and linked all previous firmware/map threads to this one. I've also posted a link to this thread in the sticky FAQ thread.

LokiWolf, thanks for heading up this effort! :cool:

wmhjr

TDI
2013 Passat TDE SEL Premium
First post here BTW.....

But FWIW, own a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Purchased just a couple months ago. Within days of taking delivery, RNS510 locked up completely. Has happened a number of times since then. Screen is so slow as to be unusable for actually dialing a number - which is essential for people who need to dial into a conference line with a passcode. Dealer - and VW - totally unresponsive and apathetic.

Received V5.2M DVD on Saturday. Attempted to install it yesterday. After leaving the vehicle run while it's trying to install for just under 2 hours, had to put the car away. Was also surprised to see the label on the DVD indicating "2012" - meaning I expect it will be old/older map data.

While the vehicle otherwise is very nice, the RNS510 is the absolutely worst designed and supported component I've experienced in decades. Honestly, since VW sells it knowing there are issues but fails to disclose it to potential customers, I'm seriously wondering whether a class action is a prudent course of action.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
First post here BTW.....

But FWIW, own a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Purchased just a couple months ago. Within days of taking delivery, RNS510 locked up completely. Has happened a number of times since then. Screen is so slow as to be unusable for actually dialing a number - which is essential for people who need to dial into a conference line with a passcode. Dealer - and VW - totally unresponsive and apathetic.

Received V5.2M DVD on Saturday. Attempted to install it yesterday. After leaving the vehicle run while it's trying to install for just under 2 hours, had to put the car away. Was also surprised to see the label on the DVD indicating "2012" - meaning I expect it will be old/older map data.

While the vehicle otherwise is very nice, the RNS510 is the absolutely worst designed and supported component I've experienced in decades. Honestly, since VW sells it knowing there are issues but fails to disclose it to potential customers, I'm seriously wondering whether a class action is a prudent course of action.
Glad to have you here. Yes it is older Map data like was said in the first post in this thread. 2012 means 2011Q3 data, 2013 would mean 2012Q3 data.

You need to talk to your service manager and complain. Yes the 510 isn't fast, but if it is constantly rebooting you have a bigger problem. Complain. They will replace your unit.

wmhjr

TDI
Thanks, but I've complained a bunch, including with VW Consumer Relations. Thus far, I've found that VW and the dealer frankly don't seem to give a hoot about their customers in any possible way. It's the worst service I've ever experienced of any vehicle, and I've owned a whole bunch of vehicles. This is my first new VW, and will certainly be my last. It's too bad, since otherwise the TDI is potentially such a great vehicle. However, the RNS510 is just about useless IMHO. It's worse than technology I had in a model year 2000 vehicle with Nav. WAY worse. I'm now discussing the issues with the "President" of the dealership where I purchased it.

wmhjr

TDI
BTW, I would accept "not fast". The RNS is not "not fast". It's horribly, terribly and unacceptably slow and buggy. I have to wait several seconds between pressing digits when attempting to dial a number. Voice is not an option, as the conference bridges require passcodes. More often than not, I have to use my handset because you simply can't execute the passcode before the conference bridge times out. Makes the entire BT/HandsFree setup worthless for my purposes. I can't begin to describe all of the horrible flaws in this substandard system.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Fortunately there are firmware updates that fix these problems... this thread is all about firmware updates.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
BTW, I would accept "not fast". The RNS is not "not fast". It's horribly, terribly and unacceptably slow and buggy. I have to wait several seconds between pressing digits when attempting to dial a number. Voice is not an option, as the conference bridges require passcodes. More often than not, I have to use my handset because you simply can't execute the passcode before the conference bridge times out. Makes the entire BT/HandsFree setup worthless for my purposes. I can't begin to describe all of the horrible flaws in this substandard system.
What is really frustrating is that the RNS firmware *COULD* be improved but no company wants to invest in it.

I have seen BellTV(Dish network in Canada) release great fw updates to help address bugs and what was even more surprising overhaul the user interface.

Seriously, only have 6 presets per page? Having to tap a button then a list in order to bring up another page?

wmhjr

TDI
Fortunately there are firmware updates that fix these problems... this thread is all about firmware updates.
I do not agree that there are firmware updates that fix these problems. There may be some that improve, but do not fix them to my knowledge.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I do not agree that there are firmware updates that fix these problems. There may be some that improve, but do not fix them to my knowledge.
This is NOT to become a complaint thread for the RNS-510. This thread is to help people understand what options are out there to make the RNS-510 better than it is from the factory.

What Firmware do you have now? Probably 3696. 4366 is SIGNIFICANTLY better as far as responsiveness. Obviously somebody at VW/Continental has listened a little, because the K variant of the RNS-510 with 4369, and a slightly improved controller, and IDE SSD, has even less lag.

Again, I will say this one more time. If you have 4366 loaded and your unit continues to reboot/hangup, then you have a faulty unit.

wmhjr

TDI
I will tell you what it is later when I'm near the vehicle again. I'm dropping it off at the dealer (again) today. I have (since purchasing mine) tested a few other brand new vehicles and they have ALL performed miserably. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate such poor performance when purchasing and did not test/evaluate adequately. I would be happy to describe my actual experience dealing with this, and with VW directly - which from my perspective provide absolutely not a single iota of evidence that they are listening. JMHO.

BTW, and I will say it just one more time also, "significantly better" does not mean "acceptable".

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
BTW, and I will say it just one more time also, "significantly better" does not mean "acceptable".
However you define it, I really don't care. I am merely trying to help you have a better experience with the radio. You can choose to move forward, or keep complaining. This thread is about moving forward.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
This is NOT to become a complaint thread for the RNS-510. This thread is to help people understand what options are out there to make the RNS-510 better than it is from the factory.
I will quote this for emphasis. We are all well aware of the RNS-510's limitations and foibles. The purpose of this thread is to discuss improvements, not air general complaints, unless specifically related to issues with firmware updates (example: firmware version XXXX broke _____ functionality).

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
i will quote this for emphasis. We are all well aware of the rns-510's limitations and foibles. The purpose of this thread is to discuss improvements, not air general complaints, unless specifically related to issues with firmware updates (example: Firmware version xxxx broke _____ functionality).
agree!

wmhjr

TDI
Fine. I actually posted here not about the poor behavior of the RNS510, but about the issues with the "improvement" DVD install process to begin with. That process (after 2 hours) did not successfully complete. I simply thought that was something that would be of interest to others experiencing the same woeful performance and who may also be receiving these "update" DVDs at the same time - but have not yet attempted to begin the install process. Since I have not really seen a thread here about the "limitations and foibles" of the unit, I thought this would be valuable information, and had I read it before attempting the install, I would probably have chosen a different time to start it (especially since VW provided no time estimate for how long the "update" would take). I did see one reference where it was stated that "for some people it took several tries" but nowhere that I happened upon that it mentioned that each try may take hours.

Beyond that, I'm personally interested in not what just plain "broke" in terms of functionality, but what is "usable". If it technically works, but is so slow as to be useless, then for me at least that's not "working". That would be helpful information. Would certainly have been prior to a purchase.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
For what it's worth, I'm on the newer FW, and consider mine completely usable. Load it and test for yourself - anything else is just noise . . .

- Tim

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Fine. I actually posted here not about the poor behavior of the RNS510, but about the issues with the "improvement" DVD install process to begin with.
Of the first 3 paragraphs you wrote in your first post, 2 were generally complaining about the unit, and middle one addressed the V5.2(7994) Map disc.

That process (after 2 hours) did not successfully complete. I simply thought that was something that would be of interest to others experiencing the same woeful performance and who may also be receiving these "update" DVDs at the same time - but have not yet attempted to begin the install process. Since I have not really seen a thread here about the "limitations and foibles" of the unit, I thought this would be valuable information, and had I read it before attempting the install, I would probably have chosen a different time to start it (especially since VW provided no time estimate for how long the "update" would take). I did see one reference where it was stated that "for some people it took several tries" but nowhere that I happened upon that it mentioned that each try may take hours.
It is 7.6GB of data to be removed and added back to a relatively slow HDD. It takes a while. Yes, VW failed to mention the ammount of time it would take, or details as to why it was needed. Hence this thread. There are also 2 seperate threads in this section of TDIClub alone discussing the 510, and the 2 most recent of which directly discuss the V5.2(7994) Map Update Disc. I am truly sorry you did not see them, because if you had seen them and read them before your update, you would have been more informed.

Beyond that, I'm personally interested in not what just plain "broke" in terms of functionality, but what is "usable". If it technically works, but is so slow as to be useless, then for me at least that's not "working". That would be helpful information. Would certainly have been prior to a purchase.
Agree with you. If you had come here or to Vortex, and done a search for the RNS510 you would have discovered A LOT of info regarding the units issues. The Passat is not the only car/suv with this particular radio.

What I personally am trying to do, is help people get the most possible out of the unit that we are stuck with. The aftermarket options are fairly expensive. If you listen, and get the info I asked for in my previous post, I/we can most likely help you improve what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.