2003 Jetta road trip - what maintenance?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Our 2003 Jetta Wagon just tipped 80K on the odometer. My wife is planning a trip from Texas to Virginia in a coule of weeks, and I want to make sure the car is in tip-top shape. I already plan to do an oil/filter/fuel filter change and probably a coolant flush.

What other items might be problematic on a ~4000 mile trip?

Thanks in advance. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I wouldn't do the oil or fuel filter unless it's due. The coolant is supposed to be lifetime.
Do check the tires, spare and inspect belts and hoses.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks. It's due for an oil change, but I'm curious why you would not change it before it's due? It should not hurt anything, but rather just be a little penny foolish.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If it's due, go ahead and change it. Good opportunity to inspect where most trouble can happen-underneath.
Many folks run their oil to 20k, they claim oil analysis supports that, I go with 10k changes.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Has the timing belt been changed? If not, it is 10 years old and long past due. That letting go would be my biggest fear on a trip like this and could get very expensive.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
A 10k change is especially a good idea since the OP is running biodiesel (according to his sig).
Yes, I do run biodiesel. And I assume you mean a 10K oil change with a filter change in the middle, and oil analysis?

Has the timing belt been changed? If not, it is 10 years old and long past due. That letting go would be my biggest fear on a trip like this and could get very expensive.
Yes, the timing belt was done last year. ;)

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
Yes, I do run biodiesel. And I assume you mean a 10K oil change with a filter change in the middle, and oil analysis?
I run biodiesel (B100) too, and I change the filter at the same 10k interval as the oil. I also don't bother with oil analysis and use Shell Rotella T instead of a 505.01. Maybe I should be more diligent... :eek:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Injection pump seals. Did we do these? Pump seals are just about the #1 thing leaving my ALH customers stranded these days. Especially when switching from bio to no bio (like on a road trip).

Carefully inspect the pump. If you see any signs of wetness/build up, I'd say get some seals before the trip.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Injection pump seals. Did we do these? Pump seals are just about the #1 thing leaving my ALH customers stranded these days. Especially when switching from bio to no bio (like on a road trip).

Carefully inspect the pump. If you see any signs of wetness/build up, I'd say get some seals before the trip.
Hey Robby! No, we focused on the timing belt. I will re-inspect the pump, but those seals were replaced a couple of years ago when I was having priming issues.