TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
MandeeC, thanks for doing the survey and posting in this thread. I'll update the map this afternoon.

Rocket Racer

TDI
'13 Passat SE
Miles on car at failure: 7700
Build date: not sure, purchased 9/12
Corrective actions from dealership: Car is currently at the dealer. They are planing on replacing the turbo.
Outside air temps at failure: about 50 deg F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loss of power, lots of smoke from the exhaust.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light.
Problems since replacement: Car still in shop.
Repair time: 1 week so far
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: This is the first failure they have seen. (Spitzer VW in Amherst, Ohio)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: I have not gotten to my first scheduled maintenance yet.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: N/A
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: Not babied, but definitely not beat on either.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: I have a few times, but not recently.
How long is your daily commute: 60-80 mile round trip
Transmission: 6 speed manual

I stopped at the dealership the day after it was towed in. The tech had removed all of the plumbing from the turbo. I was able to wiggle the turbo shaft from the intake outlet side. It definitely has a bad bearing.

I will update as I find more information.
Wanted to post an update. I finally got my car back last night. 4 weeks total in the shop. They replaced the turbo, a bunch of gaskets and changed the oil and filter. They also had to clean the entire exhaust system as oil had gotten everywhere. They had already shipped the turbo out so I was not able to see it. I was able to talk with the tech and found the turbo shaft had snapped, so it was not a bad bearing as we originally thought. They said it was exactly the same turbo that they removed, there was no change in design.

00013cave

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta TDI, 1997 GLX TDI
We just finished one yesterday, were waiting for an exhaust gasket and clamp for a week, one of each is backordered. That one, the turbo could still move, but was tight. We just got another one today, shaft is broken. Both cars under 8000kms.

AWD9590

TDI
2013 Passat 6 sp. mn.
Car is back from dealer

I picked up my TDI Passat clutch car after 7 days at dealer for turbo relacement after I heard the "Whine" .

So for so good after about 100 miles. I am pleased with the dealer's turn around time, and it appears that the repair was performed professionally.

It should be noted, in addition to the oil/filter change, they also did a 4 wheel alignment as according to the repair order: " during installation of turbo had to loosen RF - k-Frame bolts"

My car was returned in spotlessly clean condition and operates flawlessly.

Score one for the dealer. Thank you Danbury VW.

EloveVDub

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Add me to the list

I bought my 2013 passat tdi in mid Oct and had approx 6400 miles on it when I lost power on the highway last week. I had the flashing glow plug lights and no acceleration. The dealer informed me friday about the turbo issue and said that it would be two weeks to get the part. They did tell me that the turbo has a different part # so their thought was that the design had changed recently.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
18th and 19th failures added to the OP. Still need more info from EloveVDub and AggieDave.

CarbonVW

TDI
None
Just got another in today at 40k. Will be replacing the turbo and removing the intercooler for inspection since it has two blades missing.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, the window for failure is between 3,000 and 40,000 miles. Not good!

AIRFORCEtdi75

TDI
2013PASSAT TDI SEL
Turbo failed

I own 2013 passat tdi sel turbo failed Saturday. 8500 miles. Dealer will have car ready by Thursday.Car has never gone into that regen mode. I did hear a squealing noise. High pitch wine then had a check engine light and flashing glow plug light.

CarbonVW

TDI
None
So far, the window for failure is between 1,800 and 40,000 miles. Not good!
The lowest was the 1800 I repaired a couple weeks ago.

Now the one with 40k I am repairing right now, there is over 1/5 in. of shaft play. That is my new suspicion of turbo failure.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I own 2013 passat tdi sel turbo failed Saturday. 8500 miles. Dealer will have car ready by Thursday.Car has never gone into that regen mode. I did hear a squealing noise. High pitch wine then had a check engine light and flashing glow plug light.
Can you please provide the info from the Original Post, thanks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Please also fill out the survey link provided in the first post so I can add your incident to the map.

At 8500 miles, your car would have gone through regen at least 17 times, and probably closer to 25 times.

AggieDave

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My wife suddenly lost power on our 2012 Passat as everyone else has described, while driving steady on the highway a few miles from our house. We had it towed to the dealership in Tyler, Tx for troubleshooting and service. The service guy I spoke with said that the shaft inside the turbo had broken. It took 3 weeks to get the parts and get it fixed, but we've had it back now and are having no problems. Here's the details for the survey:

• [FONT=&quot]Miles on car at failure: 23,000[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Build date: March 2012[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Outside air temps at failure:60F[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Failure warning signs, if any: In retrospect, my wife did say she heard a faint high pitched whine earlier in the day, and leading up to the failure
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow plug light flashing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Problems since replacement: none[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot] Repair time: 3 weeks[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: N/A[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Are you the original owner of the car: Yes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Did you baby your car or not: Normal driving[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Unknown/Was not familiar with regen until reading this forum[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]How long is your daily commute: 10 miles[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Transmission: DSG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you guys want this thread to be a sticky, then I'm going to enforce the DATA COLLECTION aspect of this thread very aggressively. If you want to have casual discussion, post in the other thread.

Any objections?

AIRFORCEtdi75

TDI
2013PASSAT TDI SEL
Turbo failure

• Miles on car at failure: 8,500
  • Build date:N/A
  • Corrective actions from dealership:Replaced Turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure:30F
  • Failure warning signs, if any:Glow plug light flashing no power
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI:Glow plug light flashing
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:Did not reach service yet
  • Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not:Not really but didn't floor it either
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:Never even noticed one
  • How long is your daily commute:25 miles
  • Transmission:DSG

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The lowest was the 1800 I repaired a couple weeks ago.

Now the one with 40k I am repairing right now, there is over 1/5 in. of shaft play. That is my new suspicion of turbo failure.
How many turbos have you replaced so far?

newtrawn

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Miles on car at failure: 16500 or so and again at 18000
Build date: not sure, its at the shop again
Corrective actions from dealership: Replace turbo 2x
Outside air temps at failure:28F and 20F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loss of power, coil light flashing, white smoke in exhaist
Warning lights on dash/MFI: coil light flashing
Problems since replacement: Turbo failed again
Repair time: 14 days on turbo 1. 5 days so far on turbo number 2
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: none
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: n/a
Are you the original owner of the car: yes
Did you baby your car or not: yes, but I drive "spirited"
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: I've never seen it regenerate, so I have no idea.
How long is your daily commute:40 miles/ 40 minutes
Transmission: Manual 6 speed

Lov2diy

TDI
Want 2 buy new passat tdi
After countless Google searches I found this thread.
So, I test drove a 2013 Passat Tdi 6 speed with a 152 miles on it and while I was merging on the freeway I decided to see what she's got... I could feel the boost in 2nd gear for a few seconds, then the car fell on it's face and two amber lights came on and no turbo anymore.
I am soooo bummed out. :(The wife and I were both pumped about this car. I've already had a list of mods in plan for this car.:D
I'll create a new thread if I should wait 6 months to 1 year before buying.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
After countless Google searches I found this thread.
So, I test drove a 2013 Passat Tdi 6 speed with a 152 miles on it and while I was merging on the freeway I decided to see what she's got... I could feel the boost in 2nd gear for a few seconds, then the car fell on it's face and two amber lights came on and no turbo anymore.
I am soooo bummed out. :(The wife and I were both pumped about this car. I've already had a list of mods in plan for this car.:D
I'll create a new thread if I should wait 6 months to 1 year before buying.
Unfortunately we have documented a fair number of failures on this board, there is an issue with turbo failure...end of. IMHO, of course. :D

Axxkicker

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL dsg
Miles on car at failure: 10568
Build date: Unknown. Purchased 10.04.12
Corrective actions from dealership: Dealership experience has been horrible. They are currently replacing the turbo and some associated plumbing.
Outside air temps at failure: Lower 30s. Upper 20s when driven extensively earlier in the day.
Failure warning signs, if any: Atypical turbine whine while parked at idle during a funeral precesion.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Solid check engine light. Flashing glow plug indicator.
Problems since replacement: Still at the dealership. Repair time: 6 days as of now.
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: This is the second or third failure that this SA has knowledge of.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Just had the 10000 mile service 2 weeks ago.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Approximately 1000 on dealer-supplied oil.
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes.
Did you baby your car or not: Car was driven at a reasonable pace. I'm not hard on vehicles.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Yes.
How long is your daily commute: I work from home. Would estimate a daily 50 mile drive and travel 600+ miles every other weekend.
Transmission: dsg

Friday night, my dog and I left southern NJ for our bi-weekly trip to the fingerlakes in upstate NY. Earlier in the day, we had been in a hour long funeral precession which was when I first heard the turbine whine. Before getting on 476 north near Philadelphia, the car lost power and I exited immediately and limped to the nearest VW dealership.

It was around 830pm and they couldn't get me a loaner, couldn't take me to get a rental, and didn't offer a ride. They took my keys and left, leaving my dog and I to figure out what to do in 30-degree weather 100 miles from home . After about an hour, I found a taxi that would carry a large dog and got a rental and started the 2 hour drive home.

The dealership confirmed a failed turbo on Saturday.

The new turbo part number ends with QX and that's all they seem to be replacing, aside from some clips and some hoses.

According to the SA, the car should be done tomorrow.

The SA shared that they've done at least 2 or 3 other 2012/13 Passats which have had the same failure.

Axxkicker

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL dsg
Update: dealer blew the engine during a test drive after letting it idle for 30 minutes.

Engines are, of course, on back order, so I'm finally picking up a loaner car from the dealership.

I've escalated this at VWOA and will be as reasonable as possible while being this pissed.

Will update as events develop.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Update

So I was looking at the MAP and it appears that several people have updated the map and not provided the info for update in the thread. I added four more turbo failures today.

Total reported failures in this thread/map: 27
2012 MY failures: 11
2013 MY failures: 15
DSG trans: 10
6 Man: 12
High outside air temp at failure: 60*
Lowest outside air temp at failure: 0*
Average outside air temp at failure: 28.8*

I found 5 other threads where individuals have reported turbo failures.

A VW tech on this board reports that his dealership has replaced 6 turbos.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's time for me to move about 100 posts out of this thread and into the other one. Is it really too much to ask that we keep DISCUSSION in the DISCUSSION thread and DATA COLLECTION in the DATA COLLECTION thread? :confused:

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
This thread should still be on page one for easy access to post new failures or data in the survey.

scpd92

TDI
01' Jetta RIP (flood), 13' Passat 6M
  • Miles on car at failure: 4900 ish
  • Build date: 10/2012
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo and reluctantly re-aligned front end.
  • Outside air temps at failure: Approx 30 degrees F.
  • Failure warning signs, if any: Increasingly louder high pitched whine.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: No
  • Problems since replacement: Too soon to tell less than 150 miles
  • Repair time: 12 days including a return for alignment.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: 4-5 Turbo replacements at that dealership.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Hadn't reached first service interval yet.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: Nope
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Probably, since I wasn't aware they were occurring. An idiot light on the dash would be nice.
  • How long is your daily commute: 49 miles each way.
  • Transmission: 6M

SECOND TURBO FAILURE AT 50,000 MILES, DETAILS BELOW

• Miles on car at failure: Approx 50,000 miles
  • Build date: 10/2012
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo and oil lines.
  • Outside air temps at failure: 75 degrees farenheit
  • Failure warning signs, if any: Initially a "slide whistle" siren noise followed by loss of power.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light during the latter stages of failure.
  • Problems since replacement: None so far, but then again this is turbo failure number 2 for this car.
  • Repair time: One week to get the part and one day to replace.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Yes, get rid of the car before 120K...can you say class action suit?
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: Not beat on, but I run the cruise control at 80 mph.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Yes, and if it was important, they should put a damn idiot light on to alert you. This is an inherently defective product.
  • How long is your daily commute: 45 miles each way
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): Manual
  • Failed turbo part number (if known):
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known):
    Did you have the Jan 2015 23N5 software update: Yes, after the 2nd turbo failed and was in for an oil change.

Last edited:

minghi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT since 10/20/12
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Probably, since I wasn't aware they were occurring. An idiot light on the dash would be nice.
Sales of the TDI passat would have been around 70% less if they had such a light on the dash and the sales guy trying to explain/justify this to a potential buyer during a test drive ;)

in other words, VW will rather eat the costs in repairs than lose sales. also, the amount of advertising $$$ it spent on the TDI would have (almost) bankrupt its north american sales.