TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
Thank you VeeDubTDI for taking the time do record the posted data. I am the new owner of a 2013 Passat SE TDI just delivered last week with a build date of 9/12. With only a couple of hundred miles on it I'm hoping that the causes for the turbo failure will be determined and if necessary a fix will be in place BEFORE my turbo should fail, if indeed, its something other than a bad batch of turbos assembled at the factory or "infant mortality" that's inherant in any manufactured new auto.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Don't thank me - psd1 is doing all of the leg work on this project. I'm just cleaning up the thread when it starts to wander off topic. :)

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay...stands corrected. Thanks to psd1 and look forward to viewing the forthcoming data if any. Hopefully the incidents of failure will decrease. I spoke with a foreign car guru who suspects a lack of oil that might be part of the cause for failure on the turbos but the data here doesn't support that premise. Staying tuned in here.

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
Here is the text from my repair order:

Customer states check engine light is on and has no power. Road test verified concern. Performed GFF diagnosis. Found fault 5171 P029900 turbo charger underboost. No boost was detected from turbo unit. Was able to hear noise from turbo. Removed inlet hose and checked impeller. Found impeller seized in housing, no metal was detected in intercooler. Opened VTA via helpline case #XXXXXXX. Was advised to replace turbo assembly, inlet, and return lines. Performed oil and filter change due to replacing turbo. Cleared code and rechecked system operation. Road test verified repairs.

Parts List:

(5)G-052-910-A2 - UREA
(1)03L-253-056 - EXMANTURBO
(1)03L-253-039 - F GASKET
(1)03L-145-757 - M GASKET
(1)03L-145-117 - C GASKET
(1)WHT-005-635 - BANJO BOLT
(1)03L-145-771 - AN PIPE
(1)1K0-253-115 - T GASKET
(1)1K0-253-725 - CLIP
(1)03L-145-736 - D OIL LINE
(1)03L-145-757 - M GASKET
(2)N-905-927-05 - BOLT
(1)03L-115-562 - FILTER ELEMENT
(5)G-052-195-1D - DSP ENG. OIL

Hope this helps.

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there an rpm limiter like a "governor" when engine is in neutral that can prevent surging the engine over 2200 rpms to protect it from damaging the turbo AND the engine?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes - the Passat has a neutral and park rev limiter. I think it is set at 2500 RPMs or so.

x_khan

TDI
'01 Jetta TDI, '12 Passat TDI
  • Miles on car at failure: 21735
  • Build date: 02/2012
  • Corrective actions from dealership: replace turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure: 21F
  • Failure warning signs, if any: None
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: flashing glow plug, MIL on
  • Problems since replacement: None
  • Repair time: 3 weeks
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: dealer said possibly two others besides mine
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: dealer oil/less than 2k miles on oil
  • Are you the original owner of the car: yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: I try to. I don't accelerate quickly but do drive fast.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Possibly, I don't monitor this.
  • How long is your daily commute: ~100 miles round trip
  • Transmission: DSG
I have read much speculation on driving style and cooling time before shutdown so here is a brief summary of how I drive. Most of my driving is Interstate at ~75-85mph. I do not allow "warm up" time before driving. The distance between the Interstate and my house is several miles allowing adequate cooling time before shutdown; although, it is only a short distance from where I work to the Interstate.
The turbo failed ~1-2 miles from startup (work). I was waiting at a light to enter the Interstate and upon leaving the light noticed loss of power. Glow plug light started flashing on Interstate onramp, then MIL came on solid after I had stopped and started a couple times hoping a reset would fix things. Limped it to the dealership (just a few miles).
Since the turbo replacement, I have started exiting the Interstate earlier and driving a couple miles on surface streets to allow more cooling time before shutdown.

AWD9590

TDI
2013 Passat 6 sp. mn.
I am number 15 on Turbo Failure Hit Parade!!!
Miles on car at failure: 7900
Build date:9/12
Corrective actions from dealership:Will replace turbo
Outside air temps at failure:20 F
Failure warning signs, if any:high pitch whine
Warning lights on dash/MFI:none
Problems since replacement:N/A
Repair time:will advise
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:Denied any knowledge of previous failures
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:N/A
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:N/A
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:No
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:Unknown
How long is your daily commute:100 miles round trip
Transmission:6M

AWD9590

TDI
2013 Passat 6 sp. mn.
I heard the WHINE!

I am number 15 on Turbo Failure Hit Parade!!!:mad:
Miles on car at failure: 7900
Build date:9/12
Corrective actions from dealership:Will replace turbo
Outside air temps at failure:20 F
Failure warning signs, if any:high pitch whine
Warning lights on dash/MFI:none
Problems since replacement:N/A
Repair time:will advise
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failuresenied any knowledge of previous failures
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:N/A
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:N/A
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:No
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:Unknown
How long is your daily commute:100 miles round trip
Transmission:6M

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Due to the number of responses so far, I have created a Google Docs survey form to streamline the data collection and make viewing and compiling the responses a bit easier.

Passat NMS Turbo Failure SURVEY

Please click the above link if you have had a turbo failure on your new Passat. Only respond if you have had a turbo failure.

I think it would be helpful to continue reporting failures in this thread, as the text responses sometimes provide information that wouldn't otherwise be gleaned from a multiple choice survey.

If you've already reported your failure in this thread, please take a moment to respond to the survey so that we can generate some data points on the map (map will be propogated and linked once we get responses to the survey).

Thanks!

Map results are here

Last edited:

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Due to the number of responses so far, I have created a Google Docs survey form to streamline the data collection and make viewing and compiling the responses a bit easier.

Passat NMS Turbo Failure SURVEY

Please click the above link if you have had a turbo failure on your new Passat. Only respond if you have had a turbo failure.

I think it would be helpful to continue reporting failures in this thread, as the text responses sometimes provide information that wouldn't otherwise be gleaned from a multiple choice survey.

If you've already reported your failure in this thread, please take a moment to respond to the survey so that we can generate some data points on the map (map will be propogated and linked once we get responses to the survey).

Thanks!
How do we see results?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI

hard to read, BUT this is where you look.
Bad batch part number starts with: 97185
This is second-hand info, keep that in mind ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My results may have posted twice in the survey I was having smartphone Internet connection issues the first time I submitted and didnt think it went through. Sorry about that.
No problem - I'll remove the duplicate. Glad the page works well from a smart phone though! :cool:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So far it looks like 16 confirmed cases reported in this thread, with 4 others that I have sent a PM to with no response. I see no true common denominators to speak of.

Lets hope that the lack of new reports means no new failures.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up my car today. They replaced the turbo and intercooler. I'm very happy with how the dealer handled my situation. They said if anyone is concerned, stop in at your dealer and they can check the batch number, if your turbo is in the batch VW may replace the turbo before it becomes a problem. Might be worth looking into next time you are at the dealer.

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Picked up my car today. They replaced the turbo and intercooler. I'm very happy with how the dealer handled my situation. They said if anyone is concerned, stop in at your dealer and they can check the batch number, if your turbo is in the batch VW may replace the turbo before it becomes a problem. Might be worth looking into next time you are at the dealer.
Wow, that's kind of a big deal...wish I'd known to ask 2 weeks ago at my 10,000 mile service, but I guess I'll try to check the part number to feel better about it for now.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Great info, I hope your car gives you many trouble free miles!

If your dealership provided that info, they are either telling you what you want to hear, or there is some VWOA info on the turbo issue...

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Great info, I hope your car gives you many trouble free miles!

If your dealership provided that info, they are either telling you what you want to hear, or there is some VWOA info on the turbo issue...
I agree, I'll believe it when it happens. It would be nice to see if that's the case with someone here and hopefully they post their results.

MandeeC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium Midnight Blue Metallic/Beige
Updating my post with more info from dealer.
Miles on car at failure: 8789
Build date:6/2012
Corrective actions from dealership:replace turbo *as it turns out, they will also be replacing my DPF as it was clogged.
Outside air temps at failure:50
Failure warning signs, if any:Whining upon acceleration, blinking glow plug light, check engine light, whining went away then loss of power.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow plug blinking, check engine light
Problems since replacement: haven't gotten it back yet
Repair time: based on estimates, 3 days, but we'll see. *They are now waiting on DPF so pick up date has been pushed to Monday.
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: None were necessary at point of failure.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: The exterior and interior, but not the engine.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Only once when I didn't notice it until the car was off.
How long is your daily commute: I bike daily, but my trips in the car are generally 10-25 miles and a 100+ mile road trip 1-2 times a month.
Transmission: DSG

I already did the survey, but didn't know if this was another way to keep track of info so I hope I didn't just duplicate. I really love my car and hope it makes it back to me soon. I'll update with the time of repair, etc. once it's in my hands again.

Last edited: