ECM Reflash for Fault P2201

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
I searched the forum and found one thread back in June on this. Yesterday my check engine light came on (steady light). I spoke with a local VW dealer as I was away from my home dealership and they looked at the car today.

They indicated it was fault code p2201 - nox sensor circuit. They also stated that per Tech Bulletin 2030453 that the car required an ECM reflash (software update) to correct the issue.

Picked up this afternoon and all seems to be OK.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue as the car has just passed 5,000 miles since I purchased it in May 2012.
Check engine light came on today on the way home from work. Stop by Auto Zone and the same code came out P2201. Will be taken it to my VW tech tomorrow to have it assessed......TBA. Just turned 43k. Nothing like getting hosed for diesel fuel - buck more than regular....:mad:

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
I just received a notice from VWOA about an ECM reflash 'Service Campaign' with PR-speak language about turbo failure on vehicle start under extreme cold conditions. It says the ECM software has 'been improved..'

What may be of interest to those on this thread is the accompanying 'Campaign Reimbursement Request Form' 'if you have incurred out-of-pocket expenses directly related to a campaign and would like to request reimbursement'. blah blah.

So what I read is that if they have reflashed your ECM and charged you for it there may be an opening to recover some of the expense. Good Luck

stephane

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Without the service history on the a used vehicle, is it possible to find out through VCDS if an ECM has been flashed?

keithturtle

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I just received a notice from VWOA about an ECM reflash 'Service Campaign' with PR-speak language about turbo failure on vehicle start under extreme cold conditions. It says the ECM software has 'been improved..'
I had this done, but the 2201 code kept coming up intermittently. Just had the sensor replaced under extended warranty, we'll see if light stays off.

I noticed that when light was on, mileage dropped a bit, came back up after it was off a while. Weird, time will tell

Turtle

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Yes. There's an extended emissions warranty that starts when your tdi was redone for the emissions scandal thing. I just had my nox replaced for free but after a couple hundred miles i got another p2201 nox code...

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yes. There's an extended emissions warranty that starts when your tdi was redone for the emissions scandal thing. I just had my nox replaced for free but after a couple hundred miles i got another p2201 nox code...
Gingy22, that's good to hear. I got the emissions modification and a few days later got the following fault code per VCDS, "18623 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1 P2201 00 [237] Implausible Signal." I'm headed to the Dealer tomorrow morning. I'll post on what happens.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Gingy22, that's good to hear. I got the emissions modification and a few days later got the following fault code per VCDS, "18623 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1 P2201 00 [237] Implausible Signal." I'm headed to the Dealer tomorrow morning. I'll post on what happens.
Good stuff. I was worried because it's about a $500 sensor. I'm going back Wednesday. Hopefully they'll figure out why it came back.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Good stuff. I was worried because it's about a $500 sensor. I'm going back Wednesday. Hopefully they'll figure out why it came back.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Mine is going back for the 3rd time for the same issue - 200 mile AdBlue warning with a check engine light. So far they have fixed an EGR gasket that was loose, AdBlue tank and NOX sensor - all under warranty. Seems like after we drive the car for about 200-300 miles the error comes back. Hoping the 3rd time is a charm.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Mine is going back for the 3rd time for the same issue - 200 mile AdBlue warning with a check engine light. So far they have fixed an EGR gasket that was loose, AdBlue tank and NOX sensor - all under warranty. Seems like after we drive the car for about 200-300 miles the error comes back. Hoping the 3rd time is a charm.
Turns out, the nox sensor harness recall was improperly performed by a different vw dealer. They're reporting it back to vw and redoing that recall. Hopefully no more CELs

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Thanks, I passed that along to my dealership we'll see what happens.

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It's been a while since I got it all fixed but it turned out to be a faulty NOx Sensor. It was replaced by the local dealer at no cost. They said it wasn't a warranty item but they did it as customer goodwill. I asked if it related to the harness recall and they said it was unrelated. AND evidently this kind of thing isn't covered under the extended emissions warranty. Whatever. They did it for free.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
How could a NOx sensor NOT be covered under the extended emissions warranty? It's an integral part of the SCR system, whose purpose in life IS emissions reduction!?!?!?
I'm hopeful you just received isolated bad information from the dealer, and that this is not a sign of how VW will handle warranty repairs down the road.