Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The EGT data is not reported on my 2010 Jetta sedan. Some with 2012s are reporting this works - same engine. Someone with a 2009 also reported this to work... Odd.

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
The EGT data is not reported on my 2010 Jetta sedan. Some with 2012s are reporting this works - same engine. Someone with a 2009 also reported this to work... Odd.
Doesn't work on my 2010 JSW. I've tried all four options in F, double checking them each time.

It really doesn't make sense that it would work on older and newer, but not in between. I do have mine chipped so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll be talking to the chip people to see if they have any input, however I know when it was chipped and we were monitoring stats on the test drive after that we were able to watch EGT's with VCDS.

Really disappointed. My 'chip' is a stage 2 and I still have the DPF so I'd like to watch the EGT's, particularly once the weather starts to get warmer. I'm blowing water/meth so I'm interested in seeing what effect that has. So far none of the free software I've tried for my HEX-CAN generic dongle will pick up egts nor this hardware. Ugh.

Perhaps there is a bug in certain firmware revs of scangauge or the 2010's are using an address that deviates from the cansf standard.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Doesn't work on my 2010 JSW. I've tried all four options in F, double checking them each time.

It really doesn't make sense that it would work on older and newer, but not in between. I do have mine chipped so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll be talking to the chip people to see if they have any input, however I know when it was chipped and we were monitoring stats on the test drive after that we were able to watch EGT's with VCDS.

Really disappointed. My 'chip' is a stage 2 and I still have the DPF so I'd like to watch the EGT's, particularly once the weather starts to get warmer. I'm blowing water/meth so I'm interested in seeing what effect that has. So far none of the free software I've tried for my HEX-CAN generic dongle will pick up egts nor this hardware. Ugh.

Perhaps there is a bug in certain firmware revs of scangauge or the 2010's are using an address that deviates from the cansf standard.
I did the same thing with my 2010 Sportwagen!! Wouldn't work for me either! I sold the scann gauge II and bought the P3cars Digital Interface works beautifully!! cost a bit more but woth every dime IMHO!!

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
I believe I've isolated the problem as I was able to pull temps with some generic PC software. The software I used, when connecting, see's two ECUs. They are listed as

1. $7E8 CAN-ID ECU #1
  2. $7E9 CAN-ID ECU #2

When connecting to the first one, I can pull information from a bunch of different sensors. The second only allows some basics, like RPM, speed, etc.

When connected to the first, the EGT sensor is listed as:
78 - Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) Bank 1 (EGT Bank 1 Sensor 1).

I'm going to relay this information to the folks at scangauge and see if they have any suggestions on how to force it to talk to the first address and not the second, which it appears to be defaulting to.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I believe I've isolated the problem as I was able to pull temps with some generic PC software. The software I used, when connecting, see's two ECUs. They are listed as

1. $7E8 CAN-ID ECU #1
  2. $7E9 CAN-ID ECU #2

When connecting to the first one, I can pull information from a bunch of different sensors. The second only allows some basics, like RPM, speed, etc.

When connected to the first, the EGT sensor is listed as:
78 - Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) Bank 1 (EGT Bank 1 Sensor 1).

I'm going to relay this information to the folks at scangauge and see if they have any suggestions on how to force it to talk to the first address and not the second, which it appears to be defaulting to.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.
Good find!

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
Working with support to get them the raw hex responses from the query we got egt monitoring working. Ill post the configs later(working now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bing

TDI
03' Golf GTI tdi
Are there any benefits or upgrades the SGII has over the 1st SG?? Looking to get one for the 12' JSW..Considered the OBDII Blutooth for the Torque App but getting rid of the droid 4 for the iPhone 5 real soon..

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
Are there any benefits or upgrades the SGII has over the 1st SG?? Looking to get one for the 12' JSW..Considered the OBDII Blutooth for the Torque App but getting rid of the droid 4 for the iPhone 5 real soon..
I assume so but I don't know what. This is probably best asked in a new thread or by sending a mail to support at scangauge.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Here is my question on the Scan Guage II.

Why did you blokes decide to go this route $160 v.s. the Bluetooth dongle and torque program route $25. From what I can tell they do the exact same thing, but at least on the dongle you can utilize your smartphone on a mount similar to how people utilize their GPS on their phones. Just curious, b/c I want to monitor EGt but I feel anything more than $50 seems like a rip.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I like the SC2 because it's a dedicated device, rather than tying up my phone, which I use for GPS and other things.

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
Will ScanGauge II be able to monitor boost pressure on 2011 JSW? I couldn't find on their website if it has digital gauge for MAP parameter.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Will ScanGauge II be able to monitor boost pressure on 2011 JSW? I couldn't find on their website if it has digital gauge for MAP parameter.
You should check in the Sportwagen forum. :p

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Working with support to get them the raw hex responses from the query we got egt monitoring working. Ill post the configs later(working now)
Good to hear. I posted the standard OBD variable list as reported by my 2012 JSW TDI over here (are all 2010+ TDIs the same? ). Are you getting manifold/boost pressure (and other stuff not in that list) from your ECU-specific queries?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI

Happy New Year! Any news on getting more PIDs into (or out of) the ScanGauge, hardtimes?

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
Happy New Year! Any news on getting more PIDs into (or out of) the ScanGauge, hardtimes?

EGT 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 054106780000
RXD: 3810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: EG1

EGT 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXF: 054106780000
RXD: 4808
MTH: 09000032FFD8
NAM: EG2

EGT 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 2010
NAM: EG3

EGT 4 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 3010
NAM: EG4

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
It works decently. Ill be going to a p3cars unit when I can though. Just wish they had the displays in white on black like the rest of my mkvi read outs.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Hardtimes, thanks for the info. So this means the EGT requests work with the 7DF broadcast address, I assume. In one of your posts (#126 here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4009597&postcount=126) you had mentioned that addressing the ECU at 7E0 directly might be necessary, and that more variables might show up that way. Did this go anywhere (also with the ScanGauge people)?

Just FYI: When I send a code '0178' using the 'cmds' feature on my old version 3.00 Scangauge, I get no reply. Naively I would have assumed that the Scangauge does use the default broadcast address 7DF for the 'cmds' feature.

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
you had mentioned that addressing the ECU at 7E0 directly might be necessary

Just FYI: When I send a code '0178' using the 'cmds' feature on my old version 3.00 Scangauge, I get no reply. Naively I would have assumed that the Scangauge does use the default broadcast address 7DF for the 'cmds' feature.
It is not necessary. Either way the response is from the same unit and will contain the same data.

Do this then check the values. Every time you go to a new rxd it will give you the next four bytes in the return value. Keep incrementing the RXD until you get 0's back. This way you can see the full raw return.

RXF: 067810000000
RXD: 0010, 1010, 2010, 3010, 4010
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: EGT

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Someone asked how we have our scan gauge mounted, here are some pictures:

The wire runs between the dashboard and the windshield, around the tweeter, behind the cover for the fuse door, then pokes out right by the OBD port. No dangling wires :cool:

-J
Comp u:
Did you have to remove the trim piece on top? Still not sure where the wires are running. Also, are you using the supplied velcro?

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I gonna install and program mine today or tomorrow! who hoo! Thanks Compu_85 for posting the EGT params for programming! :D

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Comp u:
Did you have to remove the trim piece on top? Still not sure where the wires are running. Also, are you using the supplied velcro?
Yes the trim between the tweeters is removed. It just pulls off. I also removed the trim covering the fusebox on the side of the dash.

I'm using the fuzzy side of the velcro to prevent the gauge from sliding, but it's a friction fit between the glass and defroster.

-J

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you sir! I thought that is what you did. I installed mine last night, but couldn't get the left corner of the trim to connect the last tab due to the wire. No biggie. I ran my wire through the hole about an inch above where your wire is coming from the dash.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes that's not the final position I had the wire in, I forced it between the speaker and A pillar cover. Sounds like where you ran your wire as well :)

-J