Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

Blown284

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI
Welcome Newbie!

Go to the first post in this very thread. Click on every link in that post. There is a link that will take you to the very place (Ross-tech) you need to go to purchase that 'special cable' (micro-can) to operate the software (downloaded from Ross-tech) known as VCDS.

Bill
Thanks Bill! Looks like the cable is $249. That has to be the most expensive cable I've ever seen. But hey, if it opens up some of these unlocked/hidden features in these cars I guess it's worth it, eh?

-Tim

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Worth every penny. It is also required for any sort of vehicle maintenance.

Blown284

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI
Worth every penny. It is also required for any sort of vehicle maintenance.
Good to know! I'm fairly familiar as I've done some tuning on my "Terminator" mustang in the past, however, the VCDS looks a lot different. Thanks for all the tips I appreciate it a ton! Newbie but learning rapidly! :D

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Thanks Bill! Looks like the cable is $249. That has to be the most expensive cable I've ever seen. But hey, if it opens up some of these unlocked/hidden features in these cars I guess it's worth it, eh?
-Tim
Keep in mind, the cable maybe expensive, but the software is free.. but needs that cable to take full advantage of the software. Updates to the software are free as well. It only takes a few visits to the dealer avoided to pay for the cable. Try to get the dealer to activate the rain sensor or auto window/sunroof close, or any of the other goodies folks here have found. I have had my VCDS for 7 years... I am still learning things I can do with the system. :)
Welcome !

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I bought my Ross-Tech cable/software a couple weeks ago. It is well worth the price.

Blown284

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI
I bought my Ross-Tech cable/software a couple weeks ago. It is well worth the price.
I'm definitely gonna buy one without any doubt :D

The cable that I'm looking at is the VCDS License with Micro-CAN Interface. Is that the correct one for my car? I just don't want to purchase the wrong one. Thanks!

Last edited:

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Yes, the Micro-CAN works great with the 2012 Passat. The HEX-USB+CAN for $100 more works as well, plus it adds support for older VW/Audi models as well as the more expensive current models. The Micro-CAN only works with cars based on mk5/mk6 Golf technology, so basically Passat/Jetta/Audi A3/etc. It doesn't work with the Touareg or Audi A6 for example.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I bought the Micro-CAN version, since I will only be using it on our 2012 Passat. Works great!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
You change the long coding on the instruments, then go through the MFD and turn everything back to US units.

-J
Got it, I think... Went thru 17 Instruments > Coding 07 > Long Coding Helper > Saudi and it changed from 231E01 to 631E01. Going to have to wait for a trip out of CA to test it where the speed limit is 75MPH.

Intruments > Adaptation > "Display correction of consumption and operating range", and changed the value from 100% to 105% to hopefully get my Consumption of 51 MPG more in line with actual of 48 to 49 MPG with pencil and paper.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How do you like the new dinger? I think it's much nicer than the US one.

Niner

How do you like the new dinger? I think it's much nicer than the US one.

Gotta find the right type of location for the ding dong to step into it enough to get it to ding... I think I'm going more for the dash visuals... blinky lights in the dash and stuff gets my attention quickly.

Maybe let the GF take it for a test drive without notifying her of the change. Would LOVE to get the expression on her face captured on video when it goes off in her face. She's in complete denial constantly about having a lead foot, and she's got the tickets to support it, too. :mad: Sometimes I forget, women in your life are always right. :eek:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
VeeDubTDI means the seatbelt dinger. Matt might have turned it off for you. With the new coding it only sounds when you first start the car, and not for the passenger.

-J

Niner

VeeDubTDI means the seatbelt dinger. Matt might have turned it off for you. With the new coding it only sounds when you first start the car, and not for the passenger.

-J

Ahhh... ya know, I don't even think I know what that sounds like... I usually buckle up first, put the car in reverse, depress the clutch, then turn the ignition on, wait for glow plug light to go out, fire the motor up, drop the hand brake, and I'm off. Don't remember hearing the dinger, as a result of my procedure, or rarely.

Edit: went out and tested it, kinda live underneath a runway for an airport with jet traffic and all, had a bit of trouble hearing it, it's really close to where the pitch is for the tinnitus in my left ear. Lordy, that sounds pretty effeminate for a bell, not very manly, those Saudi's, little tinker bell type of ring.

Last edited:

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
you can have that plesent chime by going to
17-Instruments->Adaptation->Seat Belt Warning - Version 3
And you are not warned when you go over 74mph!

so you dont have to change everything else back to US measurements...

By changing to pleasent chime for version 3 it appears that my seat belt warning light goes away. I need a light in case my daughter decides to take my car. Thank you for the nice sound, however I am forced to stay with original.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
... wait for glow plug light to go out...
Thanks for the reminder about the glow plug light. I had completely forgotten about it...these GPs warm up so fast (ditto for my 09), I never even notice the light...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
But you have KESSY, so it's not really important. The car will automatically wait for the glow plugs. :cool:

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Here in Louisiana, I'd imagine it will be November before it gets cool enough to even think about glow plugs. :eek:

I'm going to upgrade my old KEY-USB dongle from my former B5 A4 for a new HEX-USB+CAN cable. Not a bad price at all when you trade in your old cable!

Last edited:

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Just got my HEX-USB+CAN cable and enabled some features. Absolutely LOVE IT! I had a friend do the auto wipers way back (which are awesome) so now I've adjusted my MFD consumption gauge and enabled the auto close w/rain.

Other than wipers, auto close, seat belt chime and the MFD changes, are there any tricks or info that's been discovered? Checked the Ross-Tech wiki and I don't see much else.

Niner

Just got my HEX-USB+CAN cable and enabled some features. Absolutely LOVE IT! I had a friend do the auto wipers way back (which are awesome) so now I've adjusted my MFD consumption gauge and enabled the auto close w/rain.

Other than wipers, auto close, seat belt chime and the MFD changes, are there any tricks or info that's been discovered? Checked the Ross-Tech wiki and I don't see much else.
You can set up your DRL's so that they can be activated or deactivated through the MFI stalk. Set up a speed limit warning in the Arabic section, then redo your gauges to miles from metric.

Try reading this sticky from the start? Also adjust your MFI for more accurate consumption estimates for fuel. We still haven't figured out how to get it to notify us of a DPF regeneration yet.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I thought I read somewhere that you can change the lane change blinker from 3 flashes to 4. Is that true? I evidently don't change lanes quickly enough, and one more blink would come in handy! ;)

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
You can also set the turn signals to turn off the DRL on the side where the turn signal is flashing. This help the turn signal to stand out.
--
Enable fog lights use with high beams on.
--
Increase the voltage to the headlights and taillights for brighter lighting. (I set them to 13.0 volts, instead of the 12.6 v that was factory set.)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I thought I read somewhere that you can change the lane change blinker from 3 flashes to 4. Is that true? I evidently don't change lanes quickly enough, and one more blink would come in handy! ;)
This is true. You can set it from 2 to 5... Ours is set to 4 blinks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
via Ross-Tech VCDS software, or on the stalk inside the car?
VCDS is required to change the number of blinks (2-5). The MFI setting only enables/disables the comfort blinkers.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Did some more digging, you can disable/enable "Comfort blinking" via the MFI or via VCDS CODING, 09 Comfort module, I believe it is Byte 16-->Bit 0. To change the number of blinks, in the 09 Comfort module you need to select ADAPTATION, then from the pull down menu select "Comfort Turn Signals (cycles)" this is channel 31, then adjust the number of blinks and save. Hopefully this works.

maniago

TDI
'13 Passat TDI 1/2SE-1/2SEL DSG
Comfort blinking? I turned that right off in the dealership parking lot. Had it in an A3 across the pond. I hate that. But each to his own and nice to have the option to tinker with it to your liking.

Last edited: