Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Starting this thread to keep track of VCDS tips and tricks which apply to the American Passat. A lot will carry over from other models, but this will give one spot to look for Passat owners.

Here's a list of links:

Enable Rain Sensing Wipers. 2012s come with this turned off.

Enable Rain Closing Feature. Shuts all the windows and sunroof when the alarm is set and the windshield gets wet.

Remote Control Windows / Sunroof. As of April 2012 we do not know how to enable remote control of the windows. I was able to get remote opening / closure of the sunroof working by changing the long coding on my Body Control Module.

Enable Voice Commands on the RNS-510 These get turned off by an update, but are easy to re-activate.

Enable the factory perimeter alarm. This is a very basic alarm system. Many cars didn't have this turned on from the factory.

Thanks,

-Jason

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I found you can pick a combination of options in the BCM which puts a menu option in the MFA for the daytime running lights :cool:

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I'll have to go look at the car again, I want to give the exact bits I checked.

Note that I had to get the latest VCDS from Ross-Tech's website, even though the version on my computer said it was up to date. The version I had didn't have descriptions for the long coding bits.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is a factual reference thread, not an argument about history and semantics. All are advised to keep it civil and think before posting.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I'll have to go look at the car again, I want to give the exact bits I checked.

Note that I had to get the latest VCDS from Ross-Tech's website, even though the version on my computer said it was up to date. The version I had didn't have descriptions for the long coding bits.

-J
Cable arrives tomorrow morning... will VCDS 11.11 cover it? I loaded it 4/30/2012? Or are you on a beta tester version?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
By enabling Byte 15 bit 7 in the BCM I got this nice menu option in the MFD:

You can also change the DRLs to only come on when the headlight switch is set to auto by checking Byte 26 Bit 3:

-J

Last edited:

Niner

I thank ye very kindly Jason... Keep in mind Matt has set my DRL's so that they were off all the time, I think he unchecked box 6?

I had to click both box 6 and box 7 to get mine to work, 3 was already clicked. Went into 09 Electronics>07 coding> Long Coding, then had to press the down arrow alot of times to scroll to the right to get to the correct box to check the proper boxes to get a C8 configuration.... With only box 7 checked I kept on getting an 08 configuration.... missed box 6 needing setting also, 3 was already set. Live and learn with hexidecimal, when one is not a digital wizard.

Edit: Something else I found in there is that you can enable your car to beep the horn twice when the alarm gets turned off and you un arm it to open up the door. Didn't test it when I changed it, and had the car unlocked since it was in the garage, but I found it today when I was parked in public and came back to the car, I'd completely forgotten about that change. Two beeps from unlocking was a first on the passat.

Many thanks to the folks at VCDS for finding the goodies in there for us.

Last edited:

Niner

Credit to Wolfsburg de...

How to adjust your MFI fuel MPG readings if they are optimistic or pessimistic.

Mine has shown itself to be optimistic by 1.8 mpg or 5%. I just used VCDS to go into 17-Instruments->Adaptation->"Display correction of consumption and operating range", and put in a new value of 105%. The controller accepted it but I haven't had a chance to find out if that has the desired effect. I only fill up about once per month so it may be a while.

mrfly19

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Tweaks

Thanks for the tip. I did both worked great

compu_85 said:
Here's a list of links:

Enable Rain Sensing Wipers. 2012s come with this turned off.

Enable Rain Closing Feature. Shuts all the windows and sunroof when the alarm is set and the windshield gets wet.

Remote Control Windows / Sunroof. As of April 2012 we do not know how to enable remote control of the windows. I was able to get remote opening / closure of the sunroof working by changing the long coding on my Body Control Module.

Thanks,

-Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I found that by changing the cluster's country code to Saudi Arabia the seatbelt chime changes to a much more pleasant one. You can then go through the MFD and change all the units back to what you want. The climatronic displays match the setting in the cluster :cool:

Still haven't figured out how to get the single side parking lights working :/

-J

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Single side parking lights?

Try turning the car off and then turning on the turn signal on the side of the car that you want the SS parking light to light up on.

Works on my 2006 jetta without any VCDS help. Other models may not work this way.

Bill

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Found one side effect of coding the cluster for Saudi Arabia: There is a speed warning at 74 MPH. I didn't realize the upper line of the cluster could change color!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnjZKRJroI

We set the speed warning in the MFD at 70 to show the difference between the two warnings.

-Jason

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think the 74 mph speed warning is excellent and I like the seat belt chime. So far I like the Saudi coding. :cool:

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
About rain auto close function I have noticed if my driving side window closing before sunroof. My sunroof will stop closing, even if it is not fully closed. Any one else have this issue?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Maybe try fully opening/closing the sunroof several times? Would this re-set the sensors at either end? Ditto for the door windows?

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Found one side effect of coding the cluster for Saudi Arabia: There is a speed warning at 74 MPH. I didn't realize the upper line of the cluster could change color!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnjZKRJroI

We set the speed warning in the MFD at 70 to show the difference between the two warnings.

-Jason
Gotta love the guy who commented on your video saying, "This is taken in Saudi Arabia."

Niner

How did you get in to Saudi on VCDS? Instruments 9> Long Coding> language? Or can you get it via the steering wheel buttons MFD > Language?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
You change the long coding on the instruments, then go through the MFD and turn everything back to US units.

-J

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
I found that by changing the cluster's country code to Saudi Arabia the seatbelt chime changes to a much more pleasant one. You can then go through the MFD and change all the units back to what you want. The climatronic displays match the setting in the cluster :cool:

Still haven't figured out how to get the single side parking lights working :/

-J
you can have that plesent chime by going to
17-Instruments->Adaptation->Seat Belt Warning - Version 3
And you are not warned when you go over 74mph!

so you dont have to change everything else back to US measurements...

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
This seems the best place to ask.

Is there any coding for the AC system that would make the Recirculation in Auto Mode be on by default, instead of having to press the button twice each time the car is started?

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
If you turn on the Rain Sensing Wipers and Auto close feature what happens if your in the car driving and the RSW detects water? Do the windows auto close if your in it?

So say I'm driving and it sprinkles rain, but not enough to roll up the windows. My wipers go on, does the car freak out and try to close the windows and crush me :)?

Blown284

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI
For those, like myself, that love these features, however, have no idea how to implement them is there a "newbie" type of scenario/how-to? I'm asking because I'd love to enable some of the features like the auto sensing, heated seat memory, etc but don't have a cable (???) or the software (???) that it takes.

Someone mind explaining what it takes? I believe it's a cable and software but is that something a normal person can purchase without spending ton of $$$$ on it?

Thank you and sorry for such a newbie question. :D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
For those, like myself, that love these features, however, have no idea how to implement them is there a "newbie" type of scenario/how-to? I'm asking because I'd love to enable some of the features like the auto sensing, heated seat memory, etc but don't have a cable (???) or the software (???) that it takes.

Someone mind explaining what it takes? I believe it's a cable and software but is that something a normal person can purchase without spending ton of $$$$ on it?

Thank you and sorry for such a newbie question. :D
Welcome Newbie!

Go to the first post in this very thread. Click on every link in that post. There is a link that will take you to the very place (Ross-tech) you need to go to purchase that 'special cable' (micro-can) to operate the software (downloaded from Ross-tech) known as VCDS.

Bill

Last edited: