Can you switch off the Traction Control?

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Thanks, exactly as I said several posts ago, BAD idea to cut the cable or disconnect.

Actually, I think the DSG is a good gearbox. Compared to a Manual, NO, compared to a classic auto, Yes. It's advantages far outweigh its disadvantages in my opinion. Added efficiency is one of those advantages, because of the lack of a torque converter.

If I need it to be more aggressive, I put it in S. It seems to be more responsive that way.

I already replaced the Hankook's with Bridgestone Pole Position 970AS's. Much Better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I have Potenzas on mine. Much more planted on the road.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
6MT. When my front wheels slip, the engine drops rpm, suddenly, and comes back on. herky jerky. In snow, it causes loss of momentum, so overall, doesn't help traction... On dry pavement, it feels like it's damaging bearings and seals, up and down the drive train. I would never do that to a drive train with my foot (couldn't do that off/on that fast if I tried). The worst performance is when you are really pushing (more jerky). Lighter throttle position slipping isn't so jarring. A couple of weeks ago, it DID perform marvelously in variable slush/snow on the road up at speed, where it tracked incredibly well (I could feel the TCS working-at speed, not under heavy acceleration at low speed), passing SUVs and F150 easily at 70mph. But accelerating hard from low speeds, it just jerks when traction control engages, especially on dry pavement. It feels bad.

I suppose the best fix is (new tires and) traction control bypass.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have Potenzas on mine. Much more planted on the road.
Agreed! The Pole Positions are Potenzas. Loved them on my previous 2 cars, no different here. I had a Hankook that got a puncture that couldn't be repaired, it was all the excuse I needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I read the thread and still haven't figured out if there has been substantial benefit from disabling TC. in snowy, hilly conditions.

I live in NW CT and in winter, the back roads can be as bad as anywhere. Snowbelt cities to the north of me in NE usually have invested in giant plows, salters/sanders, front loaders-whatever it takes. Around my parts, road treatment is very slow. The trade-off (my choice) for lower taxes and living in the woods...

So, the question is.....How significant are gains in traction from disabling TC versus leaving it alone and driving the 6M skillfully in the snow.

Next question...if the benefit of user control of TC is warranted, why then did VW leave it off?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'll order the disable kit when I have money to do it (lower priority as Summer approaches too!).

Advantage? It all depends on your driving skills and preferences. That's all.

Skilled user control will always be better than jerky on/off automated control. If you control the torquey TDI while it transiently loses traction, but do not let off the pedal completely (like the TC does), you maintain momentum, and the wheels/tires regain control faster and smoother by virtue of fine driver input.

When you are on the edge of traction, smooth control, even with some slippage is far superior. The key is subtle foot movement, so that instead of jerky off/on action, you gently let up and regain traction smoothly. The torque of these TDI engines makes it much easier than a small gasoline powered engine.

Experienced, skilled snow/ice driver will continue to make progress while jerky off/on TC effects will cause loss of inertia. This is entirely a user choice. Full control is only useful if you know how to use the torque gently and constantly.

BUT, it is extremely annoying to have the TC turn off the engine transiently during hard acceleration-bad for the drive train too!!, jerky like crazy, and just plain dumb. Maybe I'll do it sooner, while it is still Summer! Even the OEM tires will be much better with TC disabled. Antilock brakes are much better than they were in the past, but a skilled driver can apply brakes more effectively in most situtations. For me, I am happy with the anitilock braking, because I do not respond to surprise obstacles in the roadway as well as I should. Accelerating is a completely different situation. I look forward to full control..

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I read the thread and still haven't figured out if there has been substantial benefit from disabling TC. in snowy, hilly conditions.

I live in NW CT and in winter, the back roads can be as bad as anywhere. Snowbelt cities to the north of me in NE usually have invested in giant plows, salters/sanders, front loaders-whatever it takes. Around my parts, road treatment is very slow. The trade-off (my choice) for lower taxes and living in the woods...

So, the question is.....How significant are gains in traction from disabling TC versus leaving it alone and driving the 6M skillfully in the snow.

Next question...if the benefit of user control of TC is warranted, why then did VW leave it off?
It for sure makes a huge difference. I'll definitely be buying a switch for next winter.

I have a 800ft driveway that goes up a steep hill. And last winter when I stopped to check the mail, I couldn't get up it because the TCS kept cutting power to the wheels when I needed them to spin. Had to back down the road some and power up it steadily.

TCS also completely eliminates the ability to rock your car out of snow/mud/sand.

I would never drive around with it off. But it's definitely useful in certain situations.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Thanks JM. I am intrigued. WHY did VW not come equipped with the option to shut off TC? Are they afraid people will not remember to turn TC back on? I agree with JM, I would not drive with it off but would like to be in control of that choice.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Thanks JM. I am intrigued. WHY did VW not come equipped with the option to shut off TC? Are they afraid people will not remember to turn TC back on? I agree with JM, I would not drive with it off but would like to be in control of that choice.
My guess the reason they removed the switch is a combination of things.

1. Saves a few dollars, and that adds up when you're manufacturing thousands of cars. Not to mention, the New England and snowbelt markers make up a minority of sales.

2. It's more protection against wannabe racecar drivers. Trust me, there are plenty of kids who would disable "driving aids" given the opportunity (I see a few in this thread who think they know better than the computer).

3. I have read that supposedly the computer will automatically disable TCS if you were to keep the accelerator pressed. That said, I have not experienced this personally...but I also refused to abuse my transmission/differential by trying.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
My guess the reason they removed the switch is a combination of things.
1. Saves a few dollars, and that adds up when you're manufacturing thousands of cars. Not to mention, the New England and snowbelt markers make up a minority of sales.
2. It's more protection against wannabe racecar drivers. Trust me, there are plenty of kids who would disable "driving aids" given the opportunity (I see a few in this thread who think they know better than the computer).
3. I have read that supposedly the computer will automatically disable TCS if you were to keep the accelerator pressed. That said, I have not experienced this personally...but I also refused to abuse my transmission/differential by trying.
I had an opportunity to check it out on an uphill ice patch this winter, after the initial flailing about the car settled into a steady, lowish engine rpm and the wheels kept turning until the car crawled off the ice. It seems after a bit the TC lets a certain level of tire slip establish itself.

Yours
Vern

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I pullled the fuse that powers all the TCS and related systems just for fun one night. The car definitely has plenty of torque to burn the tires and chirp them hitting second. Id love to be able to burn the tires if I want every now and then! Ive thought of installing a switch to cut power to that pin in the fusebox when I want to turn it off momentarily but Id rather do it right. Does anyone know yet where the actual location where the wire gets connected for the kit to only disable the TCS?? I dont necessarily care about the kit and button I can make a hidden switch for it.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Check vwvortex forum B7 section. Some company down in Florida assembled installation kit.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I pullled the fuse that powers all the TCS and related systems just for fun one night. The car definitely has plenty of torque to burn the tires and chirp them hitting second. Id love to be able to burn the tires if I want every now and then! Ive thought of installing a switch to cut power to that pin in the fusebox when I want to turn it off momentarily but Id rather do it right. Does anyone know yet where the actual location where the wire gets connected for the kit to only disable the TCS?? I dont necessarily care about the kit and button I can make a hidden switch for it.
Do you remember which fuse it is? If I don't get around to installing the switch before the winter it'd good to know just in case ...

Thanks,
Jason

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Do you remember which fuse it is? If I don't get around to installing the switch before the winter it'd good to know just in case ...

Thanks,
Jason
Im trying to remember. I have the information at home unfortunately I wont be in the states for a few months. Im deployed overseas currently. If you take a picture of your fuse box under the hood with the cover off I believe it will come back to me and I can get you within a few. Its a 40 amp fuse like 3rd one over but without seeing it i cant remember which row fore and aft its in. It kills traction control, stability control, ABS and Airbags that I know of off the top of my head. Ive tried looking thru my maintenance manuals I downloaded from erwin but I havent found fuse locations in there yet. Anyone know where to get that infomation?? I found it by trial and error because some friends and I got bored one night and wanted to burn rubber! You would think that the owners manual would have it but it just says have fuses serviced by a service facility.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's probably the ABS fuse and it will definitely turn on several warning lights in the instrument cluster. I certainly can't recommend disabling all of those other systems just to turn off the traction control when there's a plug-and-play kit to add the TCS OFF switch.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I was pretty much ignoring this thread because I really had no burning desire to temporarily disable TCS....until today. I had to pull out in very heavy, very fast traffic and I stepped on go pedal pretty hard. The tires broke free only for a split second but TCS kicked in and reduced the throttle waaaay too much. And it took waaaay too long to recover. I almost got hit because of it. Very dangerous this traction control system is under those circumstances.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I was pretty much ignoring this thread because I really had no burning desire to temporarily disable TCS....until today. I had to pull out in very heavy, very fast traffic and I stepped on go pedal pretty hard. The tires broke free only for a split second but TCS kicked in and reduced the throttle waaaay too much. And it took waaaay too long to recover. I almost got hit because of it. Very dangerous this traction control system is under those circumstances.
Yeah I had TCS rain on my parade today, too. In addition to installing the off button, it would be nice to reprogram it to be a little less intrusive. I wonder if any of our friendly tuners can do that... Might need to ask about that when I see Jeff tomorrow.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
That's probably the ABS fuse and it will definitely turn on several warning lights in the instrument cluster. I certainly can't recommend disabling all of those other systems just to turn off the traction control when there's a plug-and-play kit to add the TCS OFF switch.
I tried the link in this thread for the kit several days ago and it said the item was no longer available or something. Dows anyone have a good link for where it can be purchased??

woodboy

TDI
2012 passat
I picked up the wire harness from bold-sport.com. The b7 switch doesn't exactly fit so it is not listed on the website any more. However I did email them and requested the switch understanding there needed to be some adjustment to the switch and console and i would not be returning. They agreed to sell me one. Part number
ESP button for passat b7 561 927 117 1 US $19.99
and
Connector housing for oem set button. US $15.00
A little bit of the connector needs to be trimmed to insert into the button.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I picked up the wire harness from bold-sport.com. The b7 switch doesn't exactly fit so it is not listed on the website any more. However I did email them and requested the switch understanding there needed to be some adjustment to the switch and console and i would not be returning. They agreed to sell me one. Part number
and
Connector housing for oem set button. US $15.00
A little bit of the connector needs to be trimmed to insert into the button.
Thanks! Im going to try and order the parts

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Can you detail what modifications need to be done to the switch?

Thanks!

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
That looks good. I wonder if a car with manual transmission would need modifications to the switch as well.

Also I wonder what some of the other blanks are for??

Jason

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

woodboy

TDI
2012 passat
Can you detail what modifications need to be done to the switch?

Thanks!
Oh boy that's a good one! The actual switch cover is the same size as the blank , but the housing is made at a different angle. I filed the console housing to a parallelogram shape so the switch could both twist and sit flush.

After the console was filed there was still abit of rubbing so I filed the switch button so the spring load wasn't compromised. TAKE YOUR TIME. I nicked the chrome trim and I was careful. I shaved abit off the switch housing also to get it to meet the next blank. File from the top down or sideways not bottom up. I got the fit and hot melted glue the switch in place. Basically the clips to retain the switch were made unusable by the odd shape.
For the wiring I followed a DIY by verebs1 to add the power and relocate his tpms to the console. With the wire kit from boldsport you get pins and connectors to piggy back the light and power. I wanted the switch to dim. This did not work for as the voltage to the tpms is not 12 volt. The light did light with the dash lights however. So I move the 12v trigger to the valet button. I extended wire from the glove box to the button location. All the pin pulling and relocating was to keep in line with oem.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh boy that's a good one! The actual switch cover is the same size as the blank , but the housing is made at a different angle. I filed the console housing to a parallelogram shape so the switch could both twist and sit flush.

After the console was filed there was still abit of rubbing so I filed the switch button so the spring load wasn't compromised. TAKE YOUR TIME. I nicked the chrome trim and I was careful. I shaved abit off the switch housing also to get it to meet the next blank. File from the top down or sideways not bottom up. I got the fit and hot melted glue the switch in place. Basically the clips to retain the switch were made unusable by the odd shape.
For the wiring I followed a DIY by verebs1 to add the power and relocate his tpms to the console. With the wire kit from boldsport you get pins and connectors to piggy back the light and power. I wanted the switch to dim. This did not work for as the voltage to the tpms is not 12 volt. The light did light with the dash lights however. So I move the 12v trigger to the valet button. I extended wire from the glove box to the button location. All the pin pulling and relocating was to keep in line with oem.
That is definitely pretty involved. Thanks for sharing!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That's not a valid part number. ETKA lists 2 different switches:

Did you happen to look at the part number on the switch you got?

From the pictures I've seen all the Chinese cars got the 2013 style console, so perhaps that is a bit different than the USA '12 style console :confused:

-J

woodboy

TDI
2012 passat

zoom in
This came from bold sport.

The in depth wiring can be avoided and the power port in the console can be tapped for the 12v. I wanted the switch to dim with the rest, so the need for a little more. It wasn't that bad.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

zoom in
This came from bold sport.

The in depth wiring can be avoided and the power port in the console can be tapped for the 12v. I wanted the switch to dim with the rest, so the need for a little more. It wasn't that bad.
Would you be able to provide a link to the install by verebs1? I couldnt find it anywhere. Im really looking forward to doing this!

Last edited: