Can you switch off the Traction Control?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm in NW Florida, but headed to that area this coming week. I'll try to stop by their shop to see what they can do.

Edit: Going to do this Wednesday morning at their shop, along with the 40K service.
That is awesome! Thanks for stepping up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I'll be itching to do this since this car loves to try to kill me every time i pull out and get wheel spin, the car falls on its face! mostly my fault for modulating the throttle like an on/off switch, but when daddy wants to go, it needs to go!

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Gregg at USP is still checking on whether it turns off the ASR too or just the traction control. Hopefully it will be like Audis work where you hold it for 3 seconds and TC turns off, then hold for 5 seconds and ASR and ESC both turn off.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
ASR is traction control. ESP is stability control.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've driven in snow and ice for decades, and constant wheel speed is always best. Always. Especially when you have a clutch and enough torque to maintain wheel speed (no fast, just constant, allowing some slippage). I want to permanently disable mine. I traded my USB cable I bought for my JSW... am waiting for my Hex-Can cable now, and I'll dig around for a solution.

I also like to be able to accelerate with some slippage without experiencing the power off/power on crap. If it means disabling the antilock sensors, and won't prevent it from running, I'll gleefully cut the wires. Hopefully, there will be a way to do it in the VAG-COM.

Now. Someone that knows tell me it can't be done with VAG-COM...:D

Last edited:

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
As far as I know, yes. I also had a DSG service and oil change, and all that took about 3 hours.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I've driven in snow and ice for decades, and constant wheel speed is always best. Always. Especially when you have a clutch and enough torque to maintain wheel speed (no fast, just constant, allowing some slippage). I want to permanently disable mine. I traded my USB cable I bought for my JSW... am waiting for my Hex-Can cable now, and I'll dig around for a solution.

I also like to be able to accelerate with some slippage without experiencing the power off/power on crap. If it means disabling the antilock sensors, and won't prevent it from running, I'll gleefully cut the wires. Hopefully, there will be a way to do it in the VAG-COM.

There is currently no way to do it in VAG-COM, I have looked and so have several other people that know more than me. Since it is a safety feature and tied to ABS, it makes sense that it takes a physical cable to disable it. Cutting the wires would be a BAD idea. It would throw a fault, and cause your car to fail inspection. A not working ABS system in a car equipped with it is a reason to fail a car, at least in VA.

I am interested in the kit, and being able to disable it. With that said, so far it has worked for me. In the several snows we got this year, I have never not been able to do what I needed to do. I just used the gas pedal and it allowed enough wheel slippage to go. No issues.

Just my 2 cents.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
There is currently no way to do it in VAG-COM, I have looked and so have several other people that know more than me. Since it is a safety feature and tied to ABS, it makes sense that it takes a physical cable to disable it. Cutting the wires would be a BAD idea. It would throw a fault, and cause your car to fail inspection. A not working ABS system in a car equipped with it is a reason to fail a car, at least in VA.

I am interested in the kit, and being able to disable it. With that said, so far it has worked for me. In the several snows we got this year, I have never not been able to do what I needed to do. I just used the gas pedal and it allowed enough wheel slippage to go. No issues.

Just my 2 cents.
The fact that the disabling circuit can be installed makes cutting the wires unnecessary! It would be easy to reconnect them for inspection anyway. Yeehaw!

As far as how annoying power cutout can be (sport driving, AND snow/ice driving), I can't comment on your approach to driving. FULL control is how I learned, and how I drive. I like the clutch, and I expect power and wheels turning when I press the accelerator. And if you own DSG, you are in another world anyway. DSG works conveniently if that's what you want.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
It is done.
Can you describe/post the paperwork? Is there are line item describing the install? How much did they charge you for the installation of this button?

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
if the wire wasn't cut, how was it installed at the abs module?

and when the tcs is off, do the wheels actually spin or something else kicks in?

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
As far as I know, yes. I also had a DSG service and oil change, and all that took about 3 hours.
Awesome, thank you!

Can you describe/post the paperwork? Is there are line item describing the install? How much did they charge you for the installation of this button?
If I remember correctly, the install was free. USP was going to do it free for whoever came in so they could shoot an install video

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I can post it, but it requires me getting to a scanner. It's a line item showing that the module was installed. I wasnt charged anything for the item; in return, I was the test car for actually installing the switch.

By no means is the switch perfect. It kinda sticks out from the console, and thats not by design. I believe they are going to try to perfect it first.

if the wire wasn't cut, how was it installed at the abs module?

and when the tcs is off, do the wheels actually spin or something else kicks in?
I'll let you know tomorrow. I really didnt get on it hard enough to try to spin. I have new Bridgestone tires on the car (less than 500 miles), and they are really sticky. Then again, if theres a NMS Passat that should be able to spin the tires furiously, then it should be mine (or any 6MT).

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Good to know that it is possible to add a button that should have been on the car to start with!

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Doesnt need to be flat for me I am hooking this up as my next mod. Tits my friend tits.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The fact that the disabling circuit can be installed makes cutting the wires unnecessary! It would be easy to reconnect them for inspection anyway. Yeehaw!

As far as how annoying power cutout can be (sport driving, AND snow/ice driving), I can't comment on your approach to driving. FULL control is how I learned, and how I drive. I like the clutch, and I expect power and wheels turning when I press the accelerator. And if you own DSG, you are in another world anyway. DSG works conveniently if that's what you want.
So you are questioning my driving skill now? Really. I also learned will full control. I have driven some VERY fast cars on some very fast tracks, trust me I know how to control a car.

Yes, I own a DSG, does that make me less of a driver, or just somebody that at this point in his life, leaves the shifting up to the computer, except when he is on a track in a car designed to be on the track.

If traction control is such a bad idea for performance, why is it allowed on the most advanced race cars in the world, that would be because the computer can adjust things 100 times faster than you can. Under 99.9% of the conditions out there, you are better off with the Traction Control on.

Again, I am going to purchase and install this kit also for those times when and if I do want to turn it off, because I want that ability. I was merely stating that in my experience this winter even with the crappy Hankook's the system worked and plugged along through some nasty stuff.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
So you are questioning my driving skill now? Really. I also learned will full control. I have driven some VERY fast cars on some very fast tracks, trust me I know how to control a car.

Yes, I own a DSG, does that make me less of a driver, or just somebody that at this point in his life, leaves the shifting up to the computer, except when he is on a track in a car designed to be on the track.

If traction control is such a bad idea for performance, why is it allowed on the most advanced race cars in the world, that would be because the computer can adjust things 100 times faster than you can. Under 99.9% of the conditions out there, you are better off with the Traction Control on.

Again, I am going to purchase and install this kit also for those times when and if I do want to turn it off, because I want that ability. I was merely stating that in my experience this winter even with the crappy Hankook's the system worked and plugged along through some nasty stuff.

I am not questioning your driving skill. I am stating a preference for full control, and contrasting it with your apparent tolerance for the hesitation and added expense of the DSG. Based on your response, it seems you are not quite happy with it. And don't forget... twisting that rubber will help you wear out those tires, so you can upgrade !

I owned the DSG for some of the same reasons (yes getting older and a clutch is more work!). I traded in the JSW for the sole reason that I was willing to make the effort again, so I could have some measure of control back. I know it accelerates "OK", and "does fine". It just takes control whenever I need to (or just want to) accelerate ASAP. It is unmistakable, and I do not like it. It also causes jerkiness and shuddering of the drive train under it's most stressful moments, which CANNOT be good for the drivetrain.

Installing the bypass circuit will take me one step closer to real manual transmission system. Somehow, I suspect it will still override under certain circumstances under acceleration. I hope not. I don't know about you, but I feel like the anti-slip/traction control system is more insulting to our driving skills than I could ever be;)

Last edited:

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
So, there's alot more wheelspin with TCS off under hard acceleration from a stop. Minimal spin with it on.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
So, there's alot more wheelspin with TCS off under hard acceleration from a stop. Minimal spin with it on.

Time to Smoke some mothafudging tires Boys!!!!! I just want to do one good arse first gear tire burnout. Maybe chirp them in 2nd:D I am not one for torturing my vehicle but every once in a while I like my cars a bit more mechanical feeling. This will straight up turn off your TCS so, they will spin alot more under the right conditions. Some say unsafe I say Fun as fuhk.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I disconnected one of the wheel speed sensors today and the car protested angrily! Looks like simply unplugging them isnt an option. It throws everything into an electronic snit! Airbags, steering assist, abs, stability control, tire pressure monitoring and traction control all have faults.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Time to Smoke some mothafudging tires Boys!!!!! I just want to do one good arse first gear tire burnout. Maybe chirp them in 2nd:D I am not one for torturing my vehicle but every once in a while I like my cars a bit more mechanical feeling. This will straight up turn off your TCS so, they will spin alot more under the right conditions. Some say unsafe I say Fun as fuhk.
Ha! Well, I agree no need to torture the vehicle excessively, but burning rubber doesn't have to be hard on the drivetrain. And I swear that herky jerky on/off crap that the computer causes when TCS takes control is MUCH harder on the drive train than a smooth squeal, especially on dry clean pavement!!!

And when I am in snow, the on/off crap breaks the car's momentum. A little slippage, constant but controlled (by me) will get me to the top of the hill. The traction control jerkiness makes it harder to control, and less likely to make it up snowy/icy inclines.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks, exactly as I said several posts ago, BAD idea to cut the cable or disconnect.

Actually, I think the DSG is a good gearbox. Compared to a Manual, NO, compared to a classic auto, Yes. It's advantages far outweigh its disadvantages in my opinion. Added efficiency is one of those advantages, because of the lack of a torque converter.

If I need it to be more aggressive, I put it in S. It seems to be more responsive that way.

I already replaced the Hankook's with Bridgestone Pole Position 970AS's. Much Better!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ha! And when I am in snow, the on/off crap breaks the car's momentum. A little slippage, constant but controlled (by me) will get me to the top of the hill. The traction control jerkiness makes it harder to control, and less likely to make it up snowy/icy inclines.
See, I disagree. The ASR acting as a limited slip device, allows both tires to get traction. Maybe I am wrong, but I am pretty sure Our cars have no mechanical LS. So wheel spin means 1 wheel. Again, I could be wrong on that...