Can you switch off the Traction Control?

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Today ECS switch was installed on my car by mountain-valleymotors.
Big Thanks to Linford and his helper (forgot his name, sorry) for installation. Thanks man and sorry because of me you have to drive all your family. Again I'm really appreciated.

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
I finally got around to finish installing my switch.

But I found out that I had to also change my coding in the abs module for the switch to work.

here is the original coding:
C54BC0F5492900FFA30F03E4921A0042A1100012

and the new coding:
C54BC0F5492900FFA30F03E4921A0042A1100022

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Is it necessary, please can someone clarify this information.

I finally got around to finish installing my switch.

But I found out that I had to also change my coding in the abs module for the switch to work.

here is the original coding:
C54BC0F5492900FFA30F03E4921A0042A1100012

and the new coding:
C54BC0F5492900FFA30F03E4921A0042A1100022

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Any tips on how you modified the console to make the button fit so nicely?

-J
It appears to fit just like every other picture of that particular switch I have seen. The rotation isn't quite right and the hole in the console has to be reshaped with a Dremel.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Where is everyone getting these nice switches? The ones online look like ****ty universal ones.
Check earlier in the thread around page 5. I seem to remember having to email usp about getting one of the parts but they had them they just weren't listed.

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic

danielsza

TDI
Any tips on how you modified the console to make the button fit so nicely?

-J
I just used a very sharp razer blade to make the hole a little bigger, then I used some Permatex Ultra Bond to secure it in place.

danielsza

TDI
Is it necessary, please can someone clarify this information.
I think it depends on the software and/or coding that's in the abs module. My car was built 02/2014...

I'm trying to remember all the steps from memory... hopefully I recall it all correctly

using VCDS, on the main screen select "select control module" then "03-ABS Brakes" then "coding"

then change the second last digit from "1" to "2"

then press "save" or "do it" or whatever it's called

and it all should work

Last edited:

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Has anyone checked yet to see if the dealers have a part number for the 2016s traction control switch? I remember someone saying they noticed a traction control switch in the new model at one of the auto shows.

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I replaced an ABS unit thats throwing a code lookin for traction input. What can i do now without changing out the abs unit again. if i could disable it, i would be fine. 2002 tdi wagon without traction feature. ABS apparently was a traction abs unit. oops

Is there a combination of pins to bend down on the ABS unit plug which will perminently disable an ABS unit's traction feature?

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just curious, why would anyone want to disable the traction control?
What, if any improvement would there be?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Sometimes you need to keep the wheels spinning to move through snow. With traction control, the ECU will cut power to prevent the wheels from spinning.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Sometimes you need to keep the wheels spinning to move through snow. With traction control, the ECU will cut power to prevent the wheels from spinning.
OK, understood. Thankfully I do not and have not seen snow in many years.:D

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Finally got around to this on my 2015

I had wanted to do this for a while and finally did today.
I ordered the button and harness from Ali Express. The harness came surprisingly quickly. The button took about a month. The harness I bought steals power from the 12v outlet. I think the harness is worth buying even of you plan on using a different button. Here are the links.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sideslip-ESP-switch-Power-switch-of-driving-OFF-buttons-For-Passat-B7-561-927-117/1698689752.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Jetta-MK5-GOLF-MK6-VI-ESP-OFF-ASR-Switch-Button-With-Harness-Cable-5K0-927/32291348111.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.q3zb11
The hardest part was running the wire from the switch to the ABS connector. To make it easier, I removed the wire from the harness completely, pushed my fish wire from inside the car into the engine bay, and pulled the smaller button end of the trigger wire back into the cabin with the fish wire.
Removing the console is ridiculously easy with a 6mt. Pull up on the shift boot, then pull up on the very front of the console. It comes completely loose. Pull up over the shift knob and out of the car. DSG cars are just slightly harder based upon what I've seen online. The cubby with the 12 volt outlet also just pulls out with no screws.
The button does not fit without modifying the console. It sits about 15 degrees to the left, so I used a dremel and carefully adjusted the opening under the button blank. Once I had removed enough material to get the button oriented correctly, I also had to dremel down the surface it sits on as it was a little too tall. Once finished, the button sits perfect in the front, but is a little tall in the rear. It looks fine, but doesn't match the blank on the other side perfectly (and won't.) Adjusting the opening under the button also made the button not hold itself, so I used hot glue to lock it into place. Here are some pics of the install.
[/IMG]
Front of button. You can see that it runs uphill toward the dash a bit.
[/IMG]
Rear of button is higher than the blank it replaces
[/IMG]
Underneath.
[/IMG]
I did have to recode my ABS module to make the button work. The long coding helper doesn't have an option for this. Just recode the last set from 12 to 22.
[/IMG]
It shows this message and a light stays on in the cluster
[/IMG]
The button install isn't perfect. I may tweak it a bit, but it works, and you'd really need to pay attention to see the stuff I'll probably, well maybe, fix later.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Looks good! I've thought about doing this too, but with a concealed button. I have all the parts, but lack the motivation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
compared our '15 to our '12, the '15 TCS seems much less penalizing allowing some spin before cutting power. I've made it up our driveway with more snow on the ground that would have stopped our '12 (same winter tires).

I still want to do this mod just for the heck of it.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
That's reassuring. I only got stuck with my 13 once or twice. I hope the 15 I just bought is as you describe.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
compared our '15 to our '12, the '15 TCS seems much less penalizing allowing some spin before cutting power. I've made it up our driveway with more snow on the ground that would have stopped our '12 (same winter tires).

I still want to do this mod just for the heck of it.
Yes, I've decidedly noticed a difference in the 15 v. 13 for allowing more energy to the wheels when starting to spin before traction control is forced to interfere. A very welcome change over the 13

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This winter there wasn't a time I couldn't make it in the driveway with our '15 (the wife drives the alltrack if the whitestuff is on the road) she spun and clawed way more. Granted I never tried above 3-4" but still even that amount would have stopped our '12 (same snow tires)