Can you switch off the Traction Control?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Just wondering on any 2012 VW's if you can switch off the TC? My 2003 had a switch which is handy at low speeds in low traction or the engine would shut down to idle when a little power would get you moving.

Don

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just wondering on any 2012 VW's if you can switch off the TC? My 2003 had a switch which is handy at low speeds in low traction or the engine would shut down to idle when a little power would get you moving.

Don
No, no switch.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Just wondering on any 2012 VW's if you can switch off the TC?

Since you asked any then yes it some do have the switch, most do not.

My 2012 JSW TDI has a switch to disable ASR (traction control) but not ESP (stability control)

The jetta sedans including the GLI do not have the switch nor do the passats. I believe the GTIs do but I'm not sure about other golf models.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i imagine any mod that can install a switch can be performed on the passat, i imagine they all use the same ABS controler, they just saved the $70 on not giving you the switch.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
i imagine any mod that can install a switch can be performed on the passat, i imagine they all use the same ABS controler, they just saved the $70 on not giving you the switch.

There are a few shops selling kits to add them to the GLIs, seen people discussing adding them to other models but haven't seen any completed conversions yet. So yeah I'd imagine that it should be possible on these as well.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Thought I'd resurect this thread, because I experienced a situation where I'd rather not have the car telling me how much power I can give the drive wheels.

While the engine was still cold, I felt significant hesitation while trying to accelerate moderately on a well groomed dirt road. Annoying to say the least. Can't imagine how this car will perform in the snow.

If I had a button to turn off the traction control on dirt roads, I would.

Who's driven on dirt so far, that's experienced this hesitation?

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat's are for pavement. SUV's are for dirt roads.
I've no intention of rally-racing my Passat. But I should be able to drive down a dirt road to a camp site, or my cousin's farm, or to take a detour around road construction, all without the car dictating how much power I can push. It's similar to the reason I drive a stick, not a slush-box.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I've no intention of rally-racing my Passat. But I should be able to drive down a dirt road to a camp site, or my cousin's farm, or to take a detour around road construction, all without the car dictating how much power I can push. It's similar to the reason I drive a stick, not a slush-box.
This is your first VW, isn't it? You'll learn... Zee Germans do things for you because they can, with their superior engineering. :D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
In any car we've driven with the feature, we have never had an occasion to use the traction control switch (SAABs, and they have them). It's traction control. If I am having the traction control light come on, showing that I am losing same, I think the first thing I would look to is how I'm driving, rather than punch a button turning it off.

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
If I am having the traction control light come on, showing that I am losing same, I think the first thing I would look to is how I'm driving, rather than punch a button turning it off.

On the contrary, if you live in icy/snowy regions and run snow tires, then you most likely turn TC off before leaving your driveway. No need to think about pushing the button when seconds and small movements count.

I live in FL now, but I've though about this considering I'll likely drive north for the holidays. I'd like to be able to switch it off as well.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I have a small hill on my driveway, the 03 Passat won't go up it with the TC on in snow, it spins, the TC cuts off the fuel and applies the brakes, it stops spinning and will idle nicely. Shut off the TC, no problem.

I use the TC, it works well at highway speeds. Hopefully the new Passat traction control is not as intrusive at slow speeds.

Don

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
In any car we've driven with the feature, we have never had an occasion to use the traction control switch (SAABs, and they have them). It's traction control. If I am having the traction control light come on, showing that I am losing same, I think the first thing I would look to is how I'm driving, rather than punch a button turning it off.
Rico, This control does NOT work on trying to start on ice or slippery cold surfaces. Some times you need to be able to just put power to the wheels and work your way out of the situation. The ECS keeps you from doing this because it keeps cutting power and braking when some time you just need to use brute force.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I've had many situations when turning off traction control slid me right out of a snow drift w/ no effort.
Not having a switch is serious minus in my opinion.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
If they aren't giving us quattro, they should at least give you a way to obtain traction when conditions dictate that you deem that you need it.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I've had many situations when turning off traction control slid me right out of a snow drift w/ no effort.
Not having a switch is serious minus in my opinion.

amen.

many people who are decent drivers really want the ability to defeat "driver aids" such as these so that they can get the vehicle to do what they need it to do in a variety of situations.

I have a BMW motorcycle with an ABS defeat button and I can tell you from experience, forgetting to turn that thing off before venturing into the dirt leads to massive pucker moments.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
pull the abs fuse if you don't want it to baby sit you all the time

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a BMW motorcycle with an ABS defeat button and I can tell you from experience, forgetting to turn that thing off before venturing into the dirt leads to massive pucker moments.
Yes, BMW GS motorcycles spefically tell you to turn off the ABS when going off road. This is because you need to feel what the bike is doing to control it off road; something you can't do if a computer is trying to keep your tires from slipping.

For similar reasoning, I want to feel what is going on when traveling on a dirt road with my car. It would be a pain the butt to have to pull a fuse every time I want to travel down a dirt road.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Pulling the fuse IS NOT recommended, as it disables the entire ABS system, including ABS, TCS, and EDL.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulling the fuse IS NOT recommended, as it disables the entire ABS system, including ABS, TCS, and EDL.
That's exactly the intended purpose, to disable those systems ON DIRT.

I'm not saying I wouldn't reinsert the fuse once back on tarmac, where those systems are beneficial. [Hence, the desire for a button:rolleyes:]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Diff lock could be beneficial on dirt and snow, no?

I would want my button to disable traction control - not EDL or ABS. Perhaps a two-stage button that would disable everything?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
T/C disable

I have found one way to disable tbe traction control on a 6 spd Tdi. Theres a fuse in the underhood fuse panel that controls the traction control, electronic spin protection, Abs, and airbags. I believe its a 40amp one but i can check again and tell you exactly where to find it if youre interested. I dont know of any other way to disable only the T/C. I guess they figure if youre going to disable the traction control youre throwing all caution to the wind anyways and you dont need airbags and such.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have some of experience working on those systems in my profession. My preference with my driving style is to keep ABS, keep brake based traction control, and disable any engine torque reduction and stability control. I have a general habit starting my cars and hitting the TC/ESP/etc disable button. I was a bit concerned with the lack of disabling for the Passat. However, it is by far the smoothest and least intrusive system I have driven. We'll see how I like it come winter, but dry and wet are really well tuned.

Last edited:

vw2011

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI,2012 Passat TDI,DSG (Golf TDI sold)
How about AWE TUNING and installation guide for traction control switch for 2012 Jetta GLI

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Trendline TDI 6spd manual Black
fwiw Edl doesn't really lock the diff, it applies the brakes to the front wheel losing traction at lower speeds...