Real World MPG with DSG

Niner

duplicate account, banned
15mph over 700 miles is 3.5 hours longer. Let's say 42mpg at 75mph vs. 50mpg at 55mph. $4.50/gallon. $12 savings at a cost of 3.5h. No thank you!
You must know something secret about California that I don't. Last time I drove there, speed limit was 65 on highway 99, so your whole argument has no premise.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Just an example. Numbers can easily be changed in a spreadsheet. We just don't know what the actual FE would be of two identical vehicles in the same conditions at different speeds over that route. And you did say up hills implying you could drive the posted speed limits at other times, so average speed would be higher. 65mph, 45mpg, 2hours savings for $7: another arbitrary example.

Looks like 70mph in CA. Some stretches of 99 are as well.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
15mph over 700 miles is 3.5 hours longer. Let's say 42mpg at 75mph vs. 50mpg at 55mph. $4.50/gallon. $12 savings at a cost of 3.5h. No thank you!
Don't forget to budget the likelihood speeding tickets. And you'll need to put a $ value on the differences in safety when traveling at different speeds. Of course economists believe that we always do this . . . Just one of many reasons why they didn't see the financial crisis coming.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Sigh. I have not driven in any state where people get a speeding ticket for 5mph over limit on a freeway. Maybe a 25mph school zone. Each person should evaluate the relative costs and risks and value of such. I do not recommend everyone do as I do. I know many people with whom I would not be comfortable riding at any speed.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a lot of data that supports driving at the 85th percentile speed is safest, even when that speed is higher than the posted limit. Drivers who stubbornly drive at the speed limit or below when everyone else is going faster are a hazard to themselves and others.

Niner

There's a lot of data that supports driving at the 85th percentile speed is safest, even when that speed is higher than the posted limit. Drivers who stubbornly drive at the speed limit or below when everyone else is going faster are a hazard to themselves and others.
Then there's facts... and the slower you are driving, the less likely you are to be seriously injured or killed in an accident. Basic law of physics. If I'm in front of you, and we are both going the same direction in the same lane, and you hit me or side swipe me, that makes you at fault, for not driving and being in control of your vehicle. End of story, regardless of speed limit, and that includes even if I am stopped and attempting to parallel park.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Can't argue with that. But it's also a fact that if you're driving significantly faster or slower than surrounding traffic you're more likely to have an accident, or cause one. I'd rather not have an accident at all.

Niner

Can't argue with that. But it's also a fact that if you're driving significantly faster or slower than surrounding traffic you're more likely to have an accident, or cause one. I'd rather not have an accident at all.
Agreed, no one likes repair paint on their TDI. ;)

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
What is the correct procedure for resetting the longer-trip MPG counter? I do not remember now whether that's "Route 1" or "Route 2", and I guess it's useless to complain about the fact that just about any other way to describe them would have been better than a tiny 1 and a tiny 2, such as "long-term" for the long-term one and, I don't know, maybe "trip" for the trip-interrupted-no-more-than-2-hrs one.

But after reading something vague in the manual about selecting the "route" (again, what a stupid word choice) display (which also means I must turn on the route display in the setup menu, which I do not want) and then selecting which counter you want to reset, I did eventually succeed in resetting them, I think, along with the regular trip meter of course.

How is this supposed to work? I'd like to be able to actually do this when I next fill the tank, and avoid accidentally doing it after that.

Does anybody else think the menu navigation (or just the manual?) is a bit crap in that the manual sometimes suggests left/right will change a setting once an item is chosen with "OK", and though that may be true for some menus, it mostly just means losing your place in the menu page you just unintentionally abandoned? Or am I just nearing the stage in life where all my entertainment-device clocks blink 12:00 all the time?

*Regarding the word choices, I'm going to switch it to German to see what they were thinking - I cannot fathom a mistranslation that would make "Route" seem like a sensible word.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
What is the correct procedure for resetting the longer-trip MPG counter? I do not remember now whether that's "Route 1" or "Route 2", and I guess it's useless to complain about the fact that just about any other way to describe them would have been better than a tiny 1 and a tiny 2, such as "long-term" for the long-term one and, I don't know, maybe "trip" for the trip-interrupted-no-more-than-2-hrs one.

But after reading something vague in the manual about selecting the "route" (again, what a stupid word choice) display (which also means I must turn on the route display in the setup menu, which I do not want) and then selecting which counter you want to reset, I did eventually succeed in resetting them, I think, along with the regular trip meter of course.

How is this supposed to work? I'd like to be able to actually do this when I next fill the tank, and avoid accidentally doing it after that.

Does anybody else think the menu navigation (or just the manual?) is a bit crap in that the manual sometimes suggests left/right will change a setting once an item is chosen with "OK", and though that may be true for some menus, it mostly just means losing your place in the menu page you just unintentionally abandoned? Or am I just nearing the stage in life where all my entertainment-device clocks blink 12:00 all the time?

*Regarding the word choices, I'm going to switch it to German to see what they were thinking - I cannot fathom a mistranslation that would make "Route" seem like a sensible word.
Route 1 or Route 2 reset by holding the select (ok) button down for a couple seconds.

Route is a term often used by Nav systems to describe a journey from point A to point B?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
First fill up from dealer (no idea how full they got it)

BP (no special markings for Amaco, Supreme, biodiesel, etc)
531 Miles
14.1 gallons
$4.099/gal
37.5mpg

Expected lots of driving this weekend so wanted to to top off.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
First fill up from dealer (no idea how full they got it)

BP (no special markings for Amaco, Supreme, biodiesel, etc)
531 Miles
14.1 gallons
$4.099/gal
37.5mpg

Expected lots of driving this weekend so wanted to to top off.
Enjoy! It is a nice car to drive. Until summer I don't have anywhere fun to drive around here. I am not going near the snow until I get the snow tires next fall. :)

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
I am seeing at least a 5% improvement in my mileage with my DSG TDI Passat over my 2009 Jetta TDI manual SW. Currently at 8000 miles. Highway mileage is 43-44 MPG (USMPG) and that is using the arctic fuel we have up here in the winter time. Expect to see an improvement of 10-15% once we get summer fuel. I would say that there is very little penalty in driving a DSG as opposed to the manual.

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
it is good to see someone mention their fuel mileage in a thread about real world fuel mileage

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
6k miles.
975 mile all-highway drive, I95 from DC to Bradenton, FL.
50-70f ambient, intermittent rain, some real downpours. Hankook Optimos at 35psi (started out at 50f ambient) (on the return trip, I'll bump them to 40psi)
Cruised at 70-75.
45.6 mpg.

I've proved to myself, at least IMHO, that steady-state cruising on flat terrain is NOT going to return the best MPG. I'm a bit disappointed by my mpg, as I achieved repeated 52mpg loops (undulating) of the DC area beltway, and was hoping to do the same with the long cruise.

It's a bit silly to be "disappointed", as at 45.5, fully loaded (2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child, completely full trunk) I'm still ahead of EPA estimates...and only 6k on the clock!

Full-size sedan trunk, back seat. Full-size road manners. 45mpg? Outstanding.

Rotarykid: It would be a very cool test to cruise side-by-side, DSG vs. manual, and observe the difference. This would be the only way to "prove" the difference. As for driving a DSG a "real penalty" vs. the manual? I've driven manuals for 40 years, thinking that an automatic was truly revolting. Now, at 57, I'm enjoying the flexibility of the DSG, and the comfort it affords my wife and me, that we can switch cars w/o evening thinking about it...that means more to my wife than it does to me, but still, the incredibly smooth 2012 Passat DSG is a true luxury.

Last edited:

WFL

TDI
They are not the same, kinda like saying apples and oranges are the same.........The engines are not remotely programed the same. One has a regeneration based emissions system which uses more fuel that does cost fuel economy. And the other one has a urea based e-system that saves fuel.
If a manual trans Jetta or Golf had that same urea based setup it would likely hit high 50s to low 60s mpgUS with it's smaller size and lighter weight. Plenty of manual trans equipped Passat TDI-CR owners are reporting high 40s to low 50s today. While many Passat DSG owners are reporting high 30s to low 40s mpgUS. I see that as a real penalty that will add up over the life of ownership........
They are different but to say that the Jetta would get high 50's to low 60's is just dreaming on your part. The Jetta SW is only 150lbs lighter than the Passat and as this is my 8th diesel VW since 1977 and as I also drive a diesel Dodge, I am somewhat familiar with diesels and I would say that it is not apples to oranges.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
WFL: While I agree that it's not "apples to oranges", the difference between the 09JSW DSG and the 2012 Passat DSG, in my daily experience, is much greater than you might imagine. As I've said elsewhere, the 09 DSG is so connected that it feels like a manual...I STILL look for the clutch as I'm coasting to a stop. The shifts are not harsh, but still noticeable. The Passat feels like it has a torque convertor...shifts are completely seamless, tach moves quickly during shifting, but not as fast as the 09 JSW.

As for tuning, again, these 2 models feel completely different, and the MPG reflects it. My Passat is getting 4-5mpg more than the JSW during all driving conditions.

WFL

TDI
WFL: While I agree that it's not "apples to oranges", the difference between the 09JSW DSG and the 2012 Passat DSG, in my daily experience, is much greater than you might imagine. As I've said elsewhere, the 09 DSG is so connected that it feels like a manual...I STILL look for the clutch as I'm coasting to a stop. The shifts are not harsh, but still noticeable. The Passat feels like it has a torque convertor...shifts are completely seamless, tach moves quickly during shifting, but not as fast as the 09 JSW.

As for tuning, again, these 2 models feel completely different, and the MPG reflects it. My Passat is getting 4-5mpg more than the JSW during all driving conditions.
I know exactly how different they are as I had a 2009 SW with the manual and my friend had a 2009 SW with DSG and having driven both, I agree that the 2009 DSG has a somewhat different feel but overall pretty similar. He also got better mileage on the road than I did with the manual and he drives somewhat similar. In this case, there is a direct comparison. I get 4-5 USMPG better on my Passat, than the Jetta wagon, similar to what you report. Bottom line, I don't think there is a great penalty in driving the DSG. When I miss the manual, I just go and drive my truck.

jhaddon84015

TDI
2006 Jetta
We just traded in our 09 Jetta TDI with DSG for a Passat SE TDI with DSG. This morning was my first commute to work, which is 35 miles, about 80/20 split, highway/city. My record in my Jetta was 62 mpg for the highway stretch and that was driving 58 mph the whole way, 51 mpg for the whole commute.

This morning I drove the Passat in and tried to vary the speed between 60 and 70, mostly 65 to 70, and the highway stretch showed 55 mpg, I ran it in sport mode up the hill to work and still averaged 45 mpg for the whole trip. I was astonished that this bigger car is capable of getting what seems to be as good if not better mileage than my Jetta.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
... and some owners suggest economy is even better than PD motors. Larger car, larger tank... hell, I'm happy if it matches my 2006 PD.

By the way, your Jetta numbers are impressive for a CR motor. Are you resetting trip MFD during those legs?

Last edited:

jhaddon84015

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yes I reset the the trip MFD before the highway stretch, but not the stretch that is city miles, that is just the combined total of highway and city, if that makes sense.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Again, MFD is not a way to tell what MPG you are actually getting.

Fill, drive, fill, miles divided by gallons. That is REALITY.

If I reset the MFD a the right point I can show 75 MPG for a "trip." I can then ignore the rest of the trip where it drops to 38.6 MPG.

Drive more, worry less. You get what you get for MPG. This hyper-miling obsession is quite amusing.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Took my first long all highway trip with mine (at around 14k miles) and with mostly all highway miles in the 55-65 mph range, I got a MFD display of 50.2 and a hand calculated of 49.7 for around 600 miles (filled up at 1/4 tank). Not too bad. Took the same trip last 2 years with my 2010 MKV 6 speed Jetta TDI and it got exactly the same so overall I am impressed.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I was a bit disappointed in my mileage in the last trip I took. It was windy and I had a full car, 2 adults, 2 kids and a trunk full of clothes. When I would go over 70 my average on the display would drop in the upper 30's. I drove 190 miles at 74mph and 220 miles at 60mph and I got a hand calculated 39.xx. I figured I would at least make up some of the loss on the 60mph section and hit mid 40's. I them went 400 miles in a 55mph area and I ended with 41.xx. I can oly assume the weight really hurt me? It makes me wonder how some are calculating mileage. Mine is with fuelly.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
In my experience, weight has little influence on fuel economy at highway speeds. Aerodynamics/wind does.

Niner

In my experience, weight has little influence on fuel economy at highway speeds. Aerodynamics/wind does.
Ditto. As does how much energy you save by driving proactively, and anticipating red lights by coasting up to them long in advance instead of racing up then then wasting energy using the brakes. This includes driving and anticipating on freeways and interstates also. Driving smooth, minimal changes in velocity/speed is what ups your MPG yield at the pump, along with driving in such a manner that you use your brakes as little as possible. Few nowadays have the patience to practice it. Everyone is in a hurry for the next stop light.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
It makes me wonder how some are calculating mileage. Mine is with fuelly.
I use Fuelly as well. I agree that wind, elevation changes and speed are more a factor than weight. I regularly carry a trunk full of tools and parts daily and still get fairly consistent economy. That being said, I took the same exact route back from the trip down and managed only 42 mpg back with 49.7 down. But down was going from 2300 feet to sea level and climbing on the way back traveling over 400 miles each way.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I am seeing at least a 5% improvement in my mileage with my DSG TDI Passat over my 2009 Jetta TDI manual SW. Currently at 8000 miles. Highway mileage is 43-44 MPG (USMPG) and that is using the arctic fuel we have up here in the winter time. Expect to see an improvement of 10-15% once we get summer fuel. I would say that there is very little penalty in driving a DSG as opposed to the manual.
They are not the same, kinda like saying apples and oranges are the same.........The engines are not remotely programed the same. One the Jetta, Jetta Sport Wagon, and Golf have a regeneration based emissions system which uses more fuel that does cost fuel economy. And the other one, the new Passat TDI-CR has a urea based e-system that saves fuel.

If a manual trans Jetta or Golf, not the JSW had that same urea based setup it would likely hit high 50s to low 60s mpgUS with it's smaller size and lighter weight. The JSW would easily get into the low to mid 50s mpgs. Plenty of manual trans equipped Passat TDI-CR owners are reporting high 40s to low 50s today. While many Passat DSG owners are reporting high 30s to low 40s mpgUS. I see that as a real penalty that will add up over the life of ownership........

strongtm

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Black
I have the DSG and I am averaging 44 mpg with only one third of my commute being highway driving. I drive 57 miles each way. If I could change I would buy the manual. The DSG drives the car, not me. And I don't always like its decisions. I also bought the extended warranty bc the DSG is really expensive to fix.